PDA

View Full Version : Game`s difficulity. Am I missing something??

loner
09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Hello guys,

Ok, I bought the game and played it about 20 hours now. I got to the dwarf underground area (can`t remember how it is called now, Kordan?) and I`m really starting to think whether I missed something BIG, as I just don`t stand a chance now.

I`m playing as warrior, I explored EVERYTHING I could, done all quests I found and was able to do them (some of them are just too hard for me, like the child on cementery, in Marshes). I took all banners I found (and as I said, I explored every mapto 100%, so I must have found most of them, if not all)

My problem? Last three areas (Western + Eastern Islands, Dward underground) are just way too hard for my character and my army.. I just dont have enough army to be able to fight mobs on those maps.. (I was able to fight only small percentage of mobs..) Only chance is just to run through those mobs..

Do I miss something???
I`m lvl 11 now, attack 10 defense 15, leadership 4400...
I`m playing on normal difficulity..

Gold is not a problem, having around 170 000.. Problem is strenght of enemy troops in later areas and size of my army, which is just not enough..

Is there any of you having similar problem? I played all Heroes of might and magic titles, so I would say I`m experienced player in this type of genre (altough King`s Bounty has some differences), but I`m really starting to think I missed something big in this game..

Nike-it
09-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Hello guys,

Ok, I bought the game and played it about 20 hours now. I got to the dwarf underground area (can`t remember how it is called now, Kordan?) and I`m really starting to think whether I missed something BIG, as I just don`t stand a chance now.

I`m playing as warrior, I explored EVERYTHING I could, done all quests I found and was able to do them (some of them are just too hard for me, like the child on cementery, in Marshes). I took all banners I found (and as I said, I explored every mapto 100%, so I must have found most of them, if not all)

My problem? Last three areas (Western + Eastern Islands, Dward underground) are just way too hard for my character and my army.. I just dont have enough army to be able to fight mobs on those maps.. (I was able to fight only small percentage of mobs..) Only chance is just to run through those mobs..

Do I miss something???
I`m lvl 11 now, attack 10 defense 15, leadership 4400...
I`m playing on normal difficulity..

Gold is not a problem, having around 170 000.. Problem is strenght of enemy troops in later areas and size of my army, which is just not enough..

Is there any of you having similar problem? I played or Heroes of might and magic titles, so I would say I`m experienced player in this type of genre (altough King`s Bounty has some differences), but I`m really starting to think I missed something big in this game..

Do you use Rage spirits? They are very usefull, and with them you can struggle the army which seems much stronger then yours.

Imperial Dane
09-29-2008, 09:45 AM
and did you fight all the battles in Darion ? Because you still need to fight there, and level 11 ? Well you should be able to do some things in the freedom islands, kill of the weaker mobs and work your way up, don't just run through it or it might end up as you have it now.

Daedalus
09-29-2008, 09:54 AM
i've noticed that the type of units you carry also affect the difficulty rating, for instance let's say you have 60 guardsmen and look at a stack which shows overpowering and you swap the 60 guardsmen with 30 royal snakles then the opposing stack would be listed as let's say slightly stronger.

Maybe you should leave some lower level troops at a castle and get higher level troops.

loner
09-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for replies guys, but:

Yes, I use Rage spirits (well, only have lvl 2 of the mage attacking demon now, other three seems to function later in the game?)

My army is (If I remember right):

25 polar bears
55 ancient bears
5 mounted knights
80 priests
22 archmages

Basically, it is the strongest units I have been able to find..

I have completed everything I could in :
The starting area (Greenwort I think)
Swamps to the west
Forest to he south of Greenwort
and the area east of Greenwort (sorry, can`t remember names..)

Now I`m strugling in Eastern+Western Isles and the Dwarf underground.

You guys have no trouble? Still can`t believe I`m doing something wrong (even if I was, I would have to do someting really badly, to have such problems)

Zhuangzi
09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I am playing on Hard, so my experience is slightly different, but here's what I found:

I was about level 14 by the time I reached the dwarven lands, so level 11 is a bit low.

You should have the first two rage spirits leveled up to about 12 each.

I found many of the fights in the Western Islands to be very hard when I first arrived. I had to go back to Darion and clear pretty much everything out. You can get a lot of gold and xp from the tombs area in Marshan Swamp.

I was able to defeat everything in Darion except for the evil child you described above and the king's tent guard.

A tip: you should make sure you have Scouting level 3 so that you know exactly what you're facing. Hope that helps. :confused:

BigBoss
09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Hmm i think u should have already 2 demons with more level(u are only level 2 on first demon ???). Rage is very important for a warrior because he don't use spels and he gets more rage than an mage.
U should have important artefacts, an whife and i think even bigger army.

temp
09-29-2008, 11:32 AM
This is difficult for me even on normal, so i think it is true that this is harder than other titles.

Some tricks you can do is to dodge encounters by luring out monsters and running past them. You can do this to get the knights at the tent. There are tons of leadership flags you can pick up in Freedom islands by doing this on your boat.

Other than that, just make sure you really have been getting all the exp, items, and skills you need.

crayno
09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Talk to the spirits and they will tell you what to do to control them.
One of them only requires you to feed him some poisonous creatures and he'll obey, so you could have had him as soon as you got the box.

loner
09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
well, I did lot of side quests before getting Spirits of Rage, so thats propably why I have it on lvl2 only(I started to use it much later then I should I guess) ...

Other than that, I did everything you suggested here..
(fighting all mobs in Darion, all quests I was able to do, all gold gathered, leadership flags, items..)

Still seems strange and unbalanced :/ Just because I didn`t level Spirits of rage enough, I`m screwed? Stilll, you should be able to fight normal mobss with just army and some spells.. Guess I will have to start new character and get Spirits of rage as soon as I can, so I can level it up as soon as I can.. :(

megakill
09-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Try to avoid fights - there are lot's of places you can run to avoiding mobs...
I also had issues at the same map, but changing troop types helps a lot. I realized that arch mages were quite useless for me. On the other hand big stacks of level 1 monsters did the job just fine. Especially fish from islands.

BigBoss
09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
well, I did lot of side quests before getting Spirits of Rage, so thats propably why I have it on lvl2 only(I started to use it much later then I should I guess) ...

Other than that, I did everything you suggested here..
(fighting all mobs in Darion, all quests I was able to do, all gold gathered, leadership flags, items..)

Still seems strange and unbalanced :/ Guess I will have to start new character and get Spirits of rage as soon as I can, so I can level it up as soon as I can.. :(
Y, i think the only option for u is to restart the game, because spirit rage is very important and first 2 demons are easy to get and to level up, and with only one level 2 demon is very hard. U have a whife from now?

loner
09-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Y, i think the only option for u is to restart the game, because spirit rage is very important and first 2 demons are easy to get and to level up, and with only one level 2 demon is very hard. U have a whife from now?

well, I had a chance to have wife, that frog princess and that pirate zombie wife, but both were giving useless stats for me as a warrior, so I didn`t take them... (intellect, mana..)
I did some further search and it really seems my problem is that I didn`t use Spirits of rage since early beginning.. :(
Thanks for advice guys, going to start over today when I get back from work.

Have fun with this great game!

Sammual
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for replies guys, but:
My army is (If I remember right):

25 polar bears
55 ancient bears
5 mounted knights
80 priests
22 archmages

Now I`m strugling in Eastern+Western Isles and the Dwarf underground.

Get the 2nd Rage spirt ASAP.
Polar Bears are very weak offensiely for thier leadership cost, replace them with something that hits harder.
Priests have VERY little attack power vs non-undead and not much HP, replace with Archers.
Archmages are NOT worth the leadership unless you have a rank or two in the skill that reduces thier leadership cost.

The Western Isles are far easyer then Eastern or Dwarf. Do them first. Also from here on out you have to look for the easy fights first as there is a LARGE difference in combat power in a small area in these maps.

Sammual

temp
09-29-2008, 08:20 PM
You can use cheats so you don't have to start over.
There is a command to level up your spirits:

http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/kingsbountythelegendcheatscodes.html

kennec
09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
i had the same problems as u playing on normal. when i first got to the islands i couldnt do anything barely. so i went back and cleaned mainland on quests and mobs. i didnt lvl my rage thingy either much and hes like lvl 4, alotugh i am an mage with fireballs so mayby i dont need em as much couse i got no skills for em.

my tactics is. having lots of slow melee units, 1 archer unit and orc shamans. i play defensivly and put up life totem wich gives me hp and increased defence. i put up my units around the totem and nuke and slow computer units. very often i barely loose any mobs at all. i have 390 000 gold at lvl 12 arriving in korgan.

Zhuangzi
09-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I don't think this game really gives you the option of ignoring the rage box. You need to use the ragebox, spells and direct troop fire. Yes, even if you're a warrior.

Running past enemies and picking up loot is a must early on. I had to do this extensively in the Freedom Islands. I recommend upgrading the Scouting skill so that you know what you're up against. And you need to understand that some fights are just too hard until later in the game. I had the same experience of getting to the Freedom Islands, finding everything too hard, and having to go back to Darion to clear everything out there.

tickspoon
09-30-2008, 01:11 AM
I've just finished the Islands and heading to the Dwarven underground. Here's a couple of cheap tricks to use:

1) Buy the crown artifact that gives +100% dmg to thorns. Then fill up on Thorn Hunters and grab the 3 Royal Thorns on the first continent. The hunters will do massive damage. Royal thorns are really powerful since they can spawn large stacks of expendable thorns, but the problem is I could only find 3 of them. However there's a way to fix that using the next trick...

2) Sacrifice is possibly the most overpowered spell in game. You sacrifice some units to increase another stack _permanently_. That means that since you have an infinite number of cheap units like swordsmen, you can create any number of other units as long as you have 1 of that unit. Use this to fill up on Horsemen and Royal Thorns, and you should destroy everything. Also Evil Beholders on the first Western island are really good units. Swordsmen also serve as extremely sturdy cannon-fodder units.

After I figured out these tactics, the game got a little too easy, but it's still reasonably challenging since you're limited by leadership.

aghiuta
09-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Use the frog princess wife and don't have any kids with her. After a while she turn to frog and gives 100% attack to snakes and spiders. Stock up on the three types of snakes available + priests and inquisitors and attack the undead castle. I killed him at lvl 9. The snakes will block the ghosts and the 100% attack really helps.
Invest everything in leadership (try to upgrade the items giving leadership).
And do note that some things are random every time you play.

loner
09-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Started new game yesterday, and went for the rage box as soon as I could.
I have the frog and demon spell on lvl 8 now (my char is lvl 6) and the game is MUCH more easier.. So this was why I struggled a lot in previous game.. So as one of you already said, ignoring rage box in the beginning stage of the game isn`t exactly good idea..

Also, the military camp in Greenwort now offers 14 knights and 10 mounted knights (in previous game, it had only 4 mounted knights!) so this makes the game much more easier as well..

Kolorabi
09-30-2008, 08:50 AM
One fairly insane piece of advice would be to try if you can kill the Kraken (talk to Miranda). I did it with swordsmen, guardsmen, archers, standard bears and griffins, which means I had big stacks of everything except the griffins. I took a lot of losses, but the victory was worth it.

The kraken is hard, but not very hard compared to the rest of the stuff you find on the islands. You just have to be prepared to lose a lot of your troops (not a problem if you play with mainly cheap troops). And you can't use rage spirits against it, so your disadvantage there won't hurt you in that fight. If you win, you'll get a huge amount of experience - probably enough to level up once.

LiveInABox
09-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Also, the military camp in Greenwort now offers 14 knights and 10 mounted knights (in previous game, it had only 4 mounted knights!) so this makes the game much more easier as well..

was that camp tough for you? I still cant beat it and im basically the same level as you :( theres like 2 stacks of 30 horsemen, 2 stacks of 30 mages and a massive stack of archers.

loner
09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
was that camp tough for you? I still cant beat it and im basically the same level as you :( theres like 2 stacks of 30 horsemen, 2 stacks of 30 mages and a massive stack of archers.

I never fought that pack. Everytime I want to buy something from that camp, I just lure that stack from the camp, then buy units, and then run away :D

ureal
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
I never fought that pack. Everytime I want to buy something from that camp, I just lure that stack from the camp, then buy units, and then run away :D

same here, also can do the same thing with mobs that guard flags, chests and runes. Save and lure them away grab the items and come back later.

Suporex
09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Started new game yesterday, and went for the rage box as soon as I could.
I have the frog and demon spell on lvl 8 now (my char is lvl 6) and the game is MUCH more easier.. So this was why I struggled a lot in previous game.. So as one of you already said, ignoring rage box in the beginning stage of the game isn`t exactly good idea..

Glad you manage now. But from my perspective it depends on play style my char mage lev 11 is in dwarf lands as well and rage box level 4-6 (the frog fishes rule for me now) and I have fireball max with +30% spell dmg at the moment and I don't have problems there although I heaven't clear the starting areas. But I have to say I can't save dwarf son just yet so I am comming back to finish what I left in starting areas :P