PDA

View Full Version : Need some basic game mechanics explained better

hickmanj
09-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Okay, I've put in about 20-30 hours (in one weekend!) but need some basic mechanics explained to me - b/c I still am not sure I'm fully "getting it"

1) Rage: I see the little red icon/dragon circle but my question is: can you trigger rage the way you cast a spell or use a power or does it auto-trigger? I am playing a mage so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. But when I see my armies do damage surrounded by a red border that is rage damage correct? I mainly want to make sure that I'm not missing a way to trigger it.

I don't have the "box" yet and have no idea what it is like (didn't play the demo) so maybe that will make Rage points clearer?

2) I have open "boxes" where learned spells can go and I've deleted all my scrolls yet, when I go to get a new scroll, it keeps telling me I have no room in my spell book??? Does intellect control this somehow? I can see the empty space - so I'm not sure what is going on. Also, is there any way to delete permanent spells or are they in your book forever?

3) Are mana and rage potions usable in combat or only on the strategic map? If usable in combat - how?

Those are what I can think of right now.... I'd appreciate feedback.

Thank you!

J

Direwolf
09-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi j,

1) Unless you get the box rage is irrelevant. It can ONLY be utilized through the box. I'm playing as a Mage right now and to be honest i haven't quite figured out how rage is triggered either.

2) Not sure what open "boxes" u r speaking of. I don't have anything like that in my spell book. Make sure that ur turning the pages, also don't delete scrolls u don't need...sell them in castles. I believe spells are in ur book permanently although this should be irrelevant because there is no limit to the number of permanent spells you can have only how many scrolls u can carry. Lastly, make sure that you have enough mana crystals to convert scrolls into spells.

3) I believe u can only utilizr these on the adventure map.

cheers,
DW

bman654
09-28-2008, 03:28 PM
btw, when the damage shows with a big red border that just means you got a critical hit, which does a bit more damage than normal.

Also I've not experimented with Rage yet either, but it is my understanding that when it is high (and you have the rage box), you will be able to summon a rage spirit. I *think* it works like a spell, ie the spirit shows up and blasts some enemies then goes away.

Lord_Loffen
09-28-2008, 04:20 PM
1: Yup, that's right bman654, the only different from spells are that they need to rest when they use an ability and they can level up. The rage box is awesome!

hickmanj
09-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Ok, everything makes sense except spells.

If I can have any number of permanent spells then maybe I've encountered a bug?

I got rid of ALL my scrolls and yet I can't buy a new one (Evil Book) b/c it keeps telling me my spell book is full???

Thanks for the replies.

MurzuX
09-28-2008, 06:11 PM

I got rid of ALL my scrolls and yet I can't buy a new one (Evil Book) b/c it keeps telling me my spell book is full???

Thanks for the replies.

You can probably have max. the number listed in you Spell Book (permanent spells + scrolls), if you have more you can't buy more scrolls. The mage-tree has the talent that increases max scrolls/spells (10/20/30), so if you have already like 10 permanent spells, you cannot get more before you get more points used on that one talent. This spell/scroll maximum was/is probably the most complicated thing in the game mechanics.

travcm
09-28-2008, 07:19 PM
You can probably have max. the number listed in you Spell Book (permanent spells + scrolls), if you have more you can't buy more scrolls. The mage-tree has the talent that increases max scrolls/spells (10/20/30), so if you have already like 10 permanent spells, you cannot get more before you get more points used on that one talent. This spell/scroll maximum was/is probably the most complicated thing in the game mechanics.

That's incorrect. The number listed is scrolls only. Permanent spells don't count towards the limit. Example: you have only 1 scoll, which you learn a spell from. Your total will now be 0, regardless of how many spells you have learned. If you have 10 of the same scroll, that counts as 10 (so be sure to sell or use extras if they are preventing you from buying scrolls you need).

Also, that talent increases your max mana by 10, and scroll limit by 2 per rank.

phoenixreborn
09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Am I way off? With my warrior when my rage is high (maximum) I get criticals more often.

megakill
09-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Max rage increases your chances on critical hits as well

bman654
09-29-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the replies.

When you look at your spellbook, on the left is a little tab or something that says something like "8 (10)", which means you have 8 scrolls out of a maximum of 10. In your situation, you probably just need to turn the pages of your book to find the scrolls you must have in there right now.

crayno
09-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I have the same problem.
When I try to buy a spell it says my spellbook is full, I can scribe a scroll so that definately isn't the case and I have plenty of room for new spellscrolls.
This definately seems to be a bug.
Has anyone actually been able to buy a spell??

ureal
09-30-2008, 04:15 PM
I have the same problem.
When I try to buy a spell it says my spellbook is full, I can scribe a scroll so that definately isn't the case and I have plenty of room for new spellscrolls.
This definately seems to be a bug.
Has anyone actually been able to buy a spell??

I bought scrolls. And for clarification 10 scrolls mean 10, like each spell can have more then 1 scroll so it might look like you have 1 scroll but if you have 10 of them its still full. So check that!

crayno
10-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Yup, that was it. Thanks :)