PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft soft-body physics

ZeroXitreo
01-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Hi, I have an idea that should be considered in adding for the next update of Cliffs of Dover. This idea is for soft-body physics. If there were soft-body physics in the game, it would be so much more realistic with bullet damage, and crash landings. For instance, if you had to crash land in the middle of nowhere if your engine(s) were blown out, and you had nowhere to go. If you hit your wing a bit hard on the ground, it should bend up a bit. Or, if your taking fire, and bullets constantly hit you, metal from your aircraft should fly away in pieces of deadly shrapnel that could injure your foes aircraft if it hits it.

Hopefully this idea will get support, and be considered for the next update for IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover. :grin:

stndbfrgrn
01-30-2013, 08:31 AM
considered for the next update for IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover. :grin:

So sorry.

Still, taking your example of metal fragments hitting and damaging the pursuing aircraft or anyone in the vicinity, I think that would require a level of complexity in physics simulation quite higher than what is generally used for "games". Managing the behaviour of a departing aileron is another thing...

I don't know if it has been disclosed yet but since Rise of Flight uses an interesting damage model in which airframes bend and deform based on impact convincingly enough, this may hopefully be applied to BOS as well. Although I am ignorant and have no idea of how much it would take to bend a metal wing without snapping it away first.

Stublerone
01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
We must be fair and tell you that there will be no update on clod anymore. Project closed, game development closed and no new scenario.

I am afraid you have to live with cliffs of dover as it is, if no wonder happens somehow.

MOG_Hammer
02-08-2013, 07:17 AM
So sorry.

Still, taking your example of metal fragments hitting and damaging the pursuing aircraft or anyone in the vicinity, I think that would require a level of complexity in physics simulation quite higher than what is generally used for "games". Managing the behaviour of a departing aileron is another thing...

I don't know if it has been disclosed yet but since Rise of Flight uses an interesting damage model in which airframes bend and deform based on impact convincingly enough, this may hopefully be applied to BOS as well. Although I am ignorant and have no idea of how much it would take to bend a metal wing without snapping it away first.

Nowaday games uses a lot a soft physics (actually called cloth physics) to represent déformations in clothes and soft metal. I believe Havok engine can do that. nVidia Physx is surelly the better choice, since it is done on hardware, but requires to have an nVidia card with that specific capability (all nVidia cards since the 8800 GTS). Those with ATI would be out of luck.

So it is not just a simple matter of having physics in game, the main reason is that not all video cards can run physx, and not all CPUs are good for Havok. Developers must make some painfull decisions when building a game, and surelly physics is often the first to be shown the door.

GF_Mastiff
02-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Nowaday games uses a lot a soft physics (actually called cloth physics) to represent déformations in clothes and soft metal. I believe Havok engine can do that. nVidia Physx is surelly the better choice, since it is done on hardware, but requires to have an nVidia card with that specific capability (all nVidia cards since the 8800 GTS). Those with ATI would be out of luck.

So it is not just a simple matter of having physics in game, the main reason is that not all video cards can run physx, and not all CPUs are good for Havok. Developers must make some painfull decisions when building a game, and surelly physics is often the first to be shown the door.

that's not entirely true, physic X can work with ATI, Physic X can run on the CPU.
just look for an old archived copy of ageia. http://ageia-physx.software.informer.com/