PDA

View Full Version : Birds of Prey trailer

Crazy George
07-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Hi there.

Here's the recent IL-2 Birds of Prey trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fXK9zpmuBo) with a more...'fitting' soundtrack.

Good hunting...

Foo'bar
07-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Modern music, and this kind in particular, doesn't fit to those warbirds at all. My opinion.

Roy
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Modern music, and this kind in particular, doesn't fit to those warbirds at all. My opinion.

Agreed

Snuff_Pidgeon
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Modern music, and this kind in particular, doesn't fit to those warbirds at all. My opinion. Agreed!

HenFre
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Have to agree with Foo'bar, Roy and Snuff Pidgeon.. But it still looks like a great game.. :-)

Anton Yudintsev
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi there.

Good hunting...

"An EGC game production"??

Crazy George
07-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Looks like my previous post got eaten by the forum 'daemon'.

The 'EGC Games Production' refers to the actual sound dubbing. We're definately not claiming -or implying- that the original trailer was created by us, neither we are claiming ownership of the original.

As for the 'non-fitting kind of music', let me elaborate...

In my personal opinion, the original music score felt too 'generic' for such a fast paced trailer. Granted, when dealing with a historical themed game, options are limited and more often than not, the obvious choise is to either use something from the particular era/conflict. It could be possible to use Vera Lynn's "We'll meet again" for example or national anthems of the nations involved but it would fall into the 'too generic' atmosphere.

What we're dealing with here are intense dogfights with fighters travelling in excess of 400 Km/h, aiming to blow each other out of the sky. Thus, a fast paced, hard hitting soundtrack would -again in my personal opinion- would fit what takes place in the screen better. Granted, the selected track is 40 or more years after the historical events but it does transpire what the scene footage is about. Before you ask, I am not a fan of 'that kind of music'. Nevertheless, what we have here is a song with the Battle of Britain events overlaid over scenes depicting perhaps the same conflict possessing a fast tempo, solid melody -which undoubtedly falls within personal taste-.

Good hunting.

P.S. It could have been worse :)

GF_Mastiff
07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
P.S. It could have been worse :)

Yes I think deflepord would of been better

Metatron
07-31-2008, 02:38 PM
We're talking Iron Maiden here!

Not their best song, but still - respect.

Thunderbolt56
07-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I liked it just fine though I'd clarify the ECG Games thing in the trailer itself. It could be potentially misleading.

Avala
07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Iron Maiden or not, game has its own musical score which is great and fits very good at whole feeling. Iron Maiden beside it is great band and music doesn’t fits in that by any mean.

Very big part of some game and atmosphere which some game caries is also music, which is almost half of the immersion. (Remember Medal of Honor). That is same as in the movies. Imagine “Saving Private Ryan” with Iron Maiden or Guns and Roses, that would be very trash and pointless movie then.

I liked original music of “Birds of Pray” which I heard in some trailer as much as I liked trailer itself, anyway if I did hear Iron Maiden on the beginning, I wouldn’t watch trailer to the end, I would thought: “baaah, another fan movie”.

So, George’s selection of music is very shallow (so to speak) and because of it, makes trailer as just another quick made fan movie, without any artistic touch.

Avala
07-31-2008, 04:59 PM
This is excellent made music for such kind of the game. George’s vision would be just how maybe teenager would see the fun. Nice, but just nice, and you forgot about it in ten minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6prRnpAI2Y&feature=related

Chivas
07-31-2008, 05:14 PM
No disrespect but IMHO the music didn't add anything to the game. I much prefered the original, and having "An EGC game production", I'd really rethink that. Really hard. lol

ECV56_LeChuck
07-31-2008, 06:25 PM
This is not a trailer, just a fan video or something like that.

Crazy George
07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Perhaps if the material had included Soviet airforce then a more fitting score could have been used such as 'The Sacred War' i.e. 'Idyot Voyna Narodnaya'. Both historically fitting and carrying that extra 'weight'.

However, I find such an approach hard to relate with Hurricanes and Spitfire Mk XIV's in RAF markings...

GF_Mastiff
08-01-2008, 02:51 AM
However, I find such an approach hard to relate with Hurricanes and Spitfire Mk XIV's in RAF markings...
MkXIV'S? I didn't see those in there.

Crazy George
08-01-2008, 04:00 AM
I stand corrected:

It's probably a Mark V :)

proton45
08-01-2008, 06:41 AM
I want to see a "BOP" video to this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J-1p_xX2TU&feature=related

Foo'bar
08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Always funny when americans try to speak german ;)

Avala
08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Perhaps if the material had included Soviet airforce then a more fitting score could have been used such as 'The Sacred War' i.e. 'Idyot Voyna Narodnaya'. Both historically fitting and carrying that extra 'weight'.

So, you want to say that aerial battle for Britain has no historical weight and no matching musical theme for that? Maybe you should read more, or maybe just watch some movies then, that can help too.

Anyway I think that you misunderstood my previous post. I didn’t speak about weight and historical correctness, I was speaking about immersion and overall feeling in games (and movies, because they are very similar). And of that feeling and immersion depends would your product will be accepted (and good for sell). Music, as both main musical theme and as a musical background plays big part of that feeling. Music don’t have to be historically correct but have to be in good touch with the material (game) that you present to the customers.

It also can be modern music but made like maybe classic movie scores, like original BoP music is BTW. It can be also some of the historically correct musical hits. For Hurricanes and Spitfires I would go maybe for some of the Vera Lynn’s songs like: “White cliffs of Dover” or “We'll meet again”. For Flying Fortresses and long bombing raids I would choose for background music Glen Miler’s “American Patrol” or maybe “Memphis Belle Blues”, something from Benny Goodman would do good job too. There is also always “Lily Marlene” from Lale Andersen or Marlene Dietrich.

Imagine this:

Airstrip at late summer 1940 somewhere in France. Late afternoon, brake in fighting over England, tired fliegers are seating on the dry and yellow grass, enjoining that rare moment of piece and rest. From an old winding gramophone they are listening Lily Marlene, and watching beautiful blue sky above them, thinking of fallen comrades and trying not to think of battles in which they are going to be. Somewhere in the distance they can hear faintly roar of the lonesome Tante Ju, and see its silhouette taking off into golden sunset . . .

You need to made player to feel like he is in there, so to he wants more of your game, so that hasn’t be some pompous song but just something which can be linked with the rest of the content and then they together make some atmosphere.

Here is some good examples for IL2 “immersion” music

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=586
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=60

And respect for your effort in arranging that video, I know that good amount of time and effort was put in making it.

Crazy George
08-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Thank you for your suggestion to broaden my intellectual horizon.

I see your point. However, the scenes that I've worked with don't contain any of those idyllic images that you've described. There's no Dolfo Galland relaxing with members of his schwarm, no JH Lacey listening to a grammophone next to the runwway in Biggin Hill. Given a different set of scenes -and more time to work on the project- perhaps I could have used a different score.

Apparently you've misread one of my previous comments. I used the Sacred War score as an example of having both historical relevance and an extra 'weight' to it. It would be superfluous to use that theme with Spitfires and Hurricanes, in the same manner that using In the Mood when showing the factory district battle from Stalingrad for example.

Perhaps your approach is what I would call 'era-lock', a common symptom of flight sim players.

Avala
08-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Then I am guilty for era-lock, but I would rather call it imersiveness No matter how good is, Iron Maiden just not fit the style, its OK for Lock On or similar though.
Just for example original music of BoP trailer is modern, but still immersive. Is that also era-lock?

Anyway, why not Apocaliptica maybe? Why it has to be Iron Maiden?

proton45
08-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Here is a high energy (era correct) song with drum bits that mimic machine guns...
The "King of Swing"!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckmNyuhos94&feature=related

And another "ripp'in" Benny Goodman number for good measure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djGozGcGJxE&feature=related

Avala
08-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah :)

I'am there already.

brando
08-03-2008, 12:20 AM
".....'era-lock', a common symptom of flight sim players" ROFLMAO!

Could this be anything to do with the fact that we are actually passionate about recreating the era, rather than listening to heavy metal bands from the sad seventies?

B