PDA

View Full Version : Hey TD can you look again at the Corsair..

Bearcat
12-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Can you please look at the Corsairs again.. Is it possible that in the coding KPH was used for the speed.. because the top speed of the Corsair was over 400MPH @ 15000 ft.. and in this sim it barely gets over 400KPH at that altitude.. Is it possible that a mistake was made.

whiskey-charlie
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
+1

Mr. Hinton concurs

F4U Corsair was first military plane that could fly 400 mph on a straight line. See 10:30 mark on video..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubn_QpkHnI

The best I can get on straight line is 250mph (which is in fact 402kph)

So either........

a) In game coding for US/mph instrument is reading kph units.

or

b) F4U's are governed to half speed. Which would explain why I have a hard time keeping up with my AI squad sometimes.

I set up a mission with 2 F4U-4Bs flying @15000 ft. (4572 meters) Player being the wingman to see if I could keep up with my leader...........

waypoint 1 following leader @ 100mph (160kph) no problem keeping up

waypoint 2 following leader @ 200mph (321kph) no problem keeping up with full throttle @ 110% and prop pitch @100%.

waypoint 3 following leader @ 300mph (482kph) can not keep up

waypoint 4 following leader @ 400mph (643kph) ......................

So this tells me that "b" is correct right? Player has govenor on his F4U?

JtD
12-24-2012, 06:17 PM
There are no F4U-4's in stock game. F4U-1's perform properly, just got one up to 400mph @ 15000feet. This is about 275 knots indicated air speed on the in cockpit dial, which appears to be fairly accurate. You need to be in second charger gear (i.e. low blower) to achieve that.

whiskey-charlie
12-29-2012, 06:47 PM
ok, will use stock F4U-1A and super charger. Position 1 is neutral, 2 is low and 3 is high blower right?

Am now looking at http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html See "Maximum true air speed using military rated power" and "Full report" for F4U true air speeds.

@5,900 ft using nuetral blower I should get a max air speed of 343mph (552km/h) ok, IL2 test results: Flying stock F4U-1A, 5900ft (1798m), 108%Power(WEP), 100%Prop Pitch, Mixture lean, neutral blower, I was able to reach Max air speed of 329mph (530km/h)
So, was better, but still 14 mph under what the Neil Stirling summery said I should be getting.

Tried another..... @22,800ft (6949 meters) using high blower I should have a maximum of 395mph (635km/h) ok, IL2 test result: was able to reach Max air speed of 298mph (480km/h)[/I]
Result, not so good, was 97mph under what the F4U-1A should be capable of.

Jtd, if you have time check these to see if you show different.

JtD
01-02-2013, 07:41 AM
What gauge are you looking at? The only valid one for speed figures is the big yellow gauge you get in cockpit off mode, as it's the only one to show the true air speed.

You should also always use 110% power for maximum speed, even if the real plane has slightly different manifold pressure limits for the various charger gears. Il-2 does not support a behaviour like this, so you'll see only one maximum boost figure on the cockpit gauge. But I'd expect the impact to be only small.

I've attached the il2-compare data for version 4.11.1. Blue is the F4U-1, which is in game used for the Corsair I, red is the F4U-1A, used for the F4U-1A, also representative for the Corsair II. The difference is the water injection. Both curves are for fully loaded aircraft. These speeds are valid for the Crimea map. I've been able to confirm these in game numerous times.

The figures you linked are not for a fully loaded aircraft, so if you want to re-test, I suggest a fuel load of 30% with default loadout for best approximation of real life test conditions, but again this will probably just make a difference of very few mph.

TheGrunch
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
As JtD says:

a) In game coding for US/mph instrument is reading IAS.

Bearcat
01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
What gauge are you looking at? The only valid one for speed figures is the big yellow gauge you get in cockpit off mode, as it's the only one to show the true air speed.

You should also always use 110% power for maximum speed, even if the real plane has slightly different manifold pressure limits for the various charger gears. Il-2 does not support a behaviour like this, so you'll see only one maximum boost figure on the cockpit gauge. But I'd expect the impact to be only small.

I've attached the il2-compare data for version 4.11.1. Blue is the F4U-1, which is in game used for the Corsair I, red is the F4U-1A, used for the F4U-1A, also representative for the Corsair II. The difference is the water injection. Both curves are for fully loaded aircraft. These speeds are valid for the Crimea map. I've been able to confirm these in game numerous times.

The figures you linked are not for a fully loaded aircraft, so if you want to re-test, I suggest a fuel load of 30% with default loadout for best approximation of real life test conditions, but again this will probably just make a difference of very few mph.

Thanks guys I'll have a look at that.

fruitbat
01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
If i had a pound for every time people say planes are under performing because they don't know the diff between IAS and TAS regarding top speeds, I could of funded CLOD myself:)

JtD
01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
True, but then it's hardly common knowledge...so in some ways, this forum can be educating.

Mysticpuma
01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
If i had a pound for every time people say planes are under performing because they don't know the diff between IAS and TAS regarding top speeds, I could of funded CLOD myself:)

I'll see your IAS/TAS and raise you .50 Calibre's! I'd be able to fund BoS too! :cool:

fruitbat
01-02-2013, 08:00 PM
True, but then it's hardly common knowledge...so in some ways, this forum can be educating.

Oh i agree, I never had any idea myself until the ubizoo, what seems (and probably is now) many years ago now.:cool:

@puma, with 50 cal threads you could probably pay of the national debt of europe.:evil:

whiskey-charlie
01-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Well Hell, that would explain it! I did not know that! I checked it out and sure enough you are correct sir. I had my FI gauge calibrated according to the in game speedbar mph reading. Excellent, thanks for educating me JtD!

JtD
01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Glad I could be of help for once.

KG26_Alpha
01-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Oh i agree, I never had any idea myself until the ubizoo, what seems (and probably is now) many years ago now.:cool:

@puma, with 50 cal threads you could probably pay of the national debt of europe.:evil:

I actually made this for that forum........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/DSCN0195.jpg

TheGrunch
01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I actually made this for that forum........
Now there's a man who likes his soup! :-P

KG26_Alpha
01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Troll soups my fav

:)