PDA

View Full Version : Maidens + Sacrifice = More maidens

camelotcrusade
11-04-2012, 12:44 AM
I've been slowly growing a stack of maidens (14-->31 and counting) using sacrifice and thought I'd post about it in case anyone isn't aware of this trick.

First, about the spell. Sacrifice has a base damage number and a sacrifice number. You do the base damage to a friendly target and use a percentage of that damage to create new units in another stack. If you give the target stack enough HP to generate a full creature you actually give them a permanent +1 to the stack size. Level 1 sacrifice has a 40% conversion rate, so to get back 1 maiden you need a sacrifice spell that does at least 375 damage (150hp/.40).

Roam around and look for easy fights. Engage them, and don't cast until it's your maidens turn. Cast sacrifice on something you know your maidens can resurrect to full. They'll die, your maidens will increase in size, and then, immediately have your maidens use Call of Valhalla to cure the victim back to no-loss. Note you can't sacrifice summons or things you hatch from an egg. In the old days you could sacrifize something you hpynotized, but I don't have the spell yet to see if that cheesy trick still works. :)

Nevar
11-04-2012, 12:55 AM
I'd thought about it. I was running a resurrection-heavy army for a while. It's also possible to make their resurrection skill practically have no limit with Sacrifice. Something died and their Call of Valhalla hasn't reloaded? Wait 'til it does, sac a different unit to restore something else and then use maidens to revive the sacrificed units. Also lets you revive/heal most Level 5's, which are usually beyond Maiden's ability. Admittedly, you'd need a strong Sacrifice spell for that last one, though.

hellsing
11-04-2012, 03:34 AM
Paladins+Gift.Easiest res ever.Feels kinda cheesy though.

camelotcrusade
11-04-2012, 04:29 AM

Oh yes. :)

But the trick with maidens is easy to do early in WoTN, especially if you get lucky like I did and find sacrifice for sale in the first ghost ship.

Nevar
11-04-2012, 04:32 AM

Cheesy, and I can't be arsed to get Rune Magic 3. I'd rather phantom some paladins/maidens using a rune mage.

With a Level 4 army, Maidens are amazing. They're basically restoring anywhere from 200 (for low-hp units like Assassins) to 600 (for Executioners) health PER MAIDEN. And it recharges. Simply amazing. Maidens are also almost always better for offense. Paladins are just way too slow and as a Skald, I don't have the time to cast Haste at the start instead of my other spells.

That, and I'm pretty sure Maidens can revive demons.

camelotcrusade
11-04-2012, 04:52 AM
@Nevar, I know. They're like the perfect unit. They shoot (kinda), they have no retaliation on a lot of enemies, they're beautiful and dodge hits, they're fast, and they resurrect. I think they forgot to make them leaves trails of gold wherever they walk.

I <3 maidens.

blacklegionary
11-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Maiden resurrection is based on the number of the stack. Each one of them can rez 2 troops no matter the type, so they work very well with powerful level 4 troop. They really make the OP Paladin look bad. And the maiden is cheaper and faster.

P/S: Yes, and the fact the she can rez demon makes her even better.

namad
11-04-2012, 09:23 AM
shame I lost all my maidens when I went to island 5, will I ever get them back? or are those units gone for good? because back on islands1-4 I bought out all the ones for sale, didn't find sacrifice till island 5, and now I worry the entire rest of the game won't sell another maiden anyone?

then again paladins + rune mages is already so powerful the game is just pointless to continue playing, wish rune mages were still CW rune mages... someone should come up with a mod to just remove all the rune mage sheningans and make them CW rune mages again or something? or at very least make it so that their phantom ability isn't infinite

Nevar
11-04-2012, 10:10 AM
shame I lost all my maidens when I went to island 5, will I ever get them back? or are those units gone for good? because back on islands1-4 I bought out all the ones for sale, didn't find sacrifice till island 5, and now I worry the entire rest of the game won't sell another maiden anyone?

They're dead, I'm pretty sure. Warriors of Valhalla resurrects units you lose after that battle.

Xargon
11-04-2012, 12:03 PM

then again paladins + rune mages is already so powerful the game is just pointless to continue playing, wish rune mages were still CW rune mages... someone should come up with a mod to just remove all the rune mage sheningans and make them CW rune mages again or something? or at very least make it so that their phantom ability isn't infinite

Agreed, not sure what they were thinking. Are the unit/ability stats in some lua file? One step could be to make the phantom ability copy a random troop on the battlefield (and of course the strength of the phantom stack should also be limited by the rune mages leadership). Still very powerful because of semi-infinite uses (need recharging in between), but doesn't allow some of the most ridiculous abuses. Also, rune mages probably need a general nerf (if they get to keep some phantom ability) and I'd say the rune bonus should be capped at 20 runes, not 40 (or alternatively halved), the laser beam and debuffs on attack makes them brutal even without phantom.

Kolorabi
11-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Are there anywhere else to buy them?

I've got 13 of them now, and I can have up to 16. I've unlocked the four "starting" islands and I can't find anywhere else to buy them. Will I at least be able to buy more later?

I can't find the sacrifice spell. Any other way to get more?

They're my most important unit, and the more I level up, the more potential power I lose for not being able to fill that unit slot with units.

Loopy
11-05-2012, 03:14 AM
I went the first 4 islands with only 7 when I could store up to 16. They are still worth it just for the resurrection. I had mine split into a 3/4. Have them wait at the beginning of the turn and then use them to rush in on anything that has wasted its counterattack.