PDA

View Full Version : My 1st island imp. no loss playthrough - some thoughts and a few tips

Avo
11-03-2012, 08:26 PM
First time posting to the forum (long time lurker), so first-hi! :D

So. I finally did the first island on impossible with no loss. - Even though I were 40 hours in the game with my first char, and had killed everything up to the spider boss I decided to start over, because I had lost units to Arhiman and the necromancer (I thought it was impossible not to). But after reading a bit on the forum, I could see that it was possible (but hard). So I rolled another character, and discovered that only 2 soothseers had spawned. Bummer. Then I made a new character. Woohoo 3 soothseers, but by the time I arrived at Arhiman I had no call of nature scrolls :(
So I started over again a couple of times. This time I saved, skipped tutorial and ran and looked if 3 soothseers was there. And I think at my 3th or 4th try I got lucky. And before Ahriman I also found 3 call of nature. (I used 2 call of nature for Ahriman, and 1 for the necromancer).

I've seen a lot of people complaining about RNG in regards to no loss. But I actually think it's okay, since it IS called impossible (but I can definately understand why people hate it).

This time I'm doing everything as good as I possible can. I had 24 units killed with rage from the tutorial alone, and 116 units destroyed with rage after the first island. I'm hoping getting the XP boost early will help me in the long run. Also, as soon as I find a god damn "trap" scroll, I'll be getting those alot, to get the awards for those.

Another tip for people trying to beat first island on imp/no loss, is to just constantly try to find the best slot for your units. If you shuffle around, then the opponent will typically open up with other spells etc.

And yes, I absolutely LOVE no-loss :D even if it means not using all units/etc. - because I think it's really fun finding and improving upon the no-loss strategies. :)

Also, big love for the steam-save function, since it meant I could start the game at home and continue at my gf's place :)

Dragnipurake
11-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I hope you are able to buy Trolls from the Houses of Jotun in your current run ... I'm 99% certain it's impossible to no-loss the spider boss without them. You might want to check them asap

Avo
11-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I hope you are able to buy Trolls from the Houses of Jotun in your current run ... I'm 99% certain it's impossible to no-loss the spider boss without them. You might want to check them asap

Oh. I'll do that asap when I have the flying horse. Can the trolls be in all 3 of them? (I know on my first playthrough they were only on the 2nd island).

zjazd18
11-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Gj man, i know many ppl complain about 1st island but it's the most challenging and fun part of the game, rest is just mindless clicking. If you beat it, you can beat everything else.

Razorflame
11-03-2012, 10:18 PM
i really would say FUN on the first island
cause u have to grind through all undead stacks
and later u have to be VERY lucky with the RNG and the spells the bosses cast

which will let u restart a couple of times before u get it

it's not even rewarding beating the island with no losses( a something that you achieved)

zjazd18
11-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Yes it's very RNG based, but after mulitple reloads you will finally get it, it gives a sense of the feeling that you are improving your strategy, i know it's not really the case but it's still nice. Rest of the game is faceroll so i would rather struggle thru first island rather than win fights simply by clicking things in random order.

Razorflame
11-03-2012, 11:13 PM
yeah feeling it now already just mass clicking and raping ANY enemy stack that is front of me

i notice myself just calling the song against undead , even if there is no undead stack just cause of automatisme

i mean INVICIBLE stacks were really invicble in AP (before level 15 or something)

here i am LITTERALLY laughing my ass of at Deadly stacks or w/e

i am lol dafuq? IMPOSSIBLE on WOTN feels like normal on KBAP or something

Avo
11-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Hum hum. I got 3 trolls (divided into 3 stacks). But the boss keeps killing them. Should I bring more units? Or am I doing something wrong?

Zechnophobe
11-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Hum hum. I got 3 trolls (divided into 3 stacks). But the boss keeps killing them. Should I bring more units? Or am I doing something wrong?

Stone skin them? You need to reduce their incoming damage so they aren't completely mauled by things. I guess keep one in each 'corner' of the arena so that when the spider moves you aren't stuck in the wrong place.

Loopy
11-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Mana Spring alone was enough for me to keep them alive, and it let me continue to spam spells at the boss.

Honestly once you beat the first island the game is pretty simple to no-loss. Trolls beat the next 3 islands and after that there are 101 ways to break the game.

Zechnophobe
11-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Y'know, considering it is a giant undead spider, it never occurred to me to check if it's basic attacks dealt poison. That'd make stoneskin less important by far.

Xargon
11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Gj man, i know many ppl complain about 1st island but it's the most challenging and fun part of the game, rest is just mindless clicking. If you beat it, you can beat everything else.

My problem with the first islands is that the game is less interesting when you have very few options at hand. It feels like a grind after a dozen battles... later on, one has far greater variety in spells/abilities, but unfortunately many of the combinations are so OP that it becomes too easy... (or the opponents are too weak / need special abilities as well)

About the spider: I thought only the ranged retaliation spit deals poison damage? Stone skin seemed to work well on melee attacks. And my 3 trolls (in one stack, which shouldn't matter) survived the attacks without a problem, not sure why they die in Avo's case. Are a lot of the small spiders attacking them as well? (those deal poison damage)