PDA

View Full Version : Randomness Woes

Nevar
11-02-2012, 09:40 AM
So my current file is a Summoner Soothsayer. Worked pretty well. I beat the Greenwort quests without losses and in very few rounds. The bugged Books of Evil make things a cakewalk when paired with an Ancient Phoenix.

To my joy, I also picked up two Living Books, which grant +2 intellect and +20% power to Demon Portal, Call of Nature and Permafrost, which means that my level 1 Permafrost gives me a troop of Lizardmen with 3000+ lds for only 15 mana.

However, I hate Permafrost for being vulnerable to attack. The logical choice is demon portal, right?

Well, guess what: I found no Demon Portals in the first 8 islands. To top it off, I am now in Demonis, where my Phoenixes offensive power is cut considerably, and STILL no demon portal. In freaking DEMONIS.

Awesome. End rant.

billythegreat
11-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Heh, I hear you, I found a ressurection scroll at level 36.

zjazd18
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Yes, it sucks when you have specific strategy in mind and can't find needed item/spell. But if there was no randomness replay value of this game would go drasticly down.

Nevar
11-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Oh, I'd never suggest randomness was bad. It's just really annoying that somehow a spell that isn't all that rare, which happens to be crucial to my build, is somehow not in the place where you'd expect to find multiple copies of it. The RNG gods must be laughing their asses off.

Pip-Boy
11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Yep I'm a summoner too though with the phoenix+book it's enough for me, the only thing I'm missing is the dragon of chaos, assuming that this spell still exists, and the summoned golem from Regina is not powerful enough yet. It truly is really random this thing about spells I've found 2 demon portal scrolls though none of animal summoning for example.

Nevar
11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Yep I'm a summoner too though with the phoenix+book it's enough for me, the only thing I'm missing is the dragon of chaos, assuming that this spell still exists, and the summoned golem from Regina is not powerful enough yet. It truly is really random this thing about spells I've found 2 demon portal scrolls though none of animal summoning for example.

You could always get Animal scrolls from Living Book... Although I have no idea why you would want to. Call of Nature is terrible, mana-to-leadership wise. Doesn't help that the spell still gives a range of levels 1-4 at spell level 3.

Regina's messenger seems like it will never be powerful enough for a Soothsayer. The fact that you can't influence its stats with Intellect makes it bad for a summoner. It's probably best on a Viking with all his attack and defense, actually.

I've heard Dragon of Chaos is now a Wanderer scroll. I have yet to find one.

camelotcrusade
11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Do you have ice ball yet? With a strong creation skill that thing is super durable and attracts mobs like flies to honey.

Book of evil isn't much to sneeze at once the uber-bug is removed (I used the fan fix) and I forgot it had to eat my units to get recharged instead of their units. Would be cooler if it could eat anything it wanted. Seems to me it wouldn't be THAT picky with all those teeth. :p

Nevar
11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Do you have ice ball yet? With a strong creation skill that thing is super durable and attracts mobs like flies to honey.

Book of evil isn't much to sneeze at once the uber-bug is removed (I used the fan fix) and I forgot it had to eat my units to get recharged instead of their units. Would be cooler if it could eat anything it wanted. Seems to me it wouldn't be THAT picky with all those teeth. :p

It also restores charges on regular attacks, though :D

I haven't got Ice Ball yet, unfortunately. I wish I did, though. Does it do cold damage now?

Pip-Boy
11-02-2012, 06:09 PM
You could always get Animal scrolls from Living Book... Although I have no idea why you would want to. Call of Nature is terrible, mana-to-leadership wise. Doesn't help that the spell still gives a range of levels 1-4 at spell level 3.

Regina's messenger seems like it will never be powerful enough for a Soothsayer. The fact that you can't influence its stats with Intellect makes it bad for a summoner. It's probably best on a Viking with all his attack and defense, actually.

I've heard Dragon of Chaos is now a Wanderer scroll. I have yet to find one.

Thanks for the info! Though I hope it's not true what you're saying about Dragon of Chaos, it is a damn good summon, also I think I saw a scroll for the Ice Ball I'll be sure to check it later. And probably you're right about Regina's messenger I don't think the summon we'll be any good even for warriors.

sethmage
11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
As a mage I started with 2 chaos spells (flaming arrow and something else), after clearing the whole first island I got two more of chaos and that also was given by the npc, 4 that’s FOUR, I didn’t get any healing, damaging nor any summoning spells (not counting the egg from the good raven, but that after Eric’s fight), needless to say that was one tough start.

P.S @ Pip-Boy Fallout fan? :)

Nevar
11-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info! Though I hope it's not true what you're saying about Dragon of Chaos, it is a damn good summon, also I think I saw a scroll for the Ice Ball I'll be sure to check it later. And probably you're right about Regina's messenger I don't think the summon we'll be any good even for warriors.

Oh, it can work if you're built to have strong units. Let me put it this way: If you have resistance-boosting items, high attack and defense on your hero (usually something a Warrior would do), it CAN be good. As a mage, however, with lots of slots dedicated to boosting Intellect/Mana, Lava Golem is pretty mediocre. It's an okay distraction, though, and Regina DOES boost it with her own passive since it's Level 5.

One day, I'm going to make a build with ONLY Level 5 creatures. I'll see how well it works with that.

Pip-Boy
11-03-2012, 12:46 PM
P.S @ Pip-Boy Fallout fan? :)

Yes,I started playing it since it came out on Good Old Games, 1,2,Tactics,3 and New Vegas, I love all of 'em :P.

On topic: I hasn't been long since I started using Regina's Messenger so I don't know how far do the upgrade of the golem stats go, maybe you're right and a warrior with attack and deffense would make it a worthy summon, mmh now I'm tempted to start a warrior :P .

Nevar
11-03-2012, 01:16 PM
On topic: I hasn't been long since I started using Regina's Messenger so I don't know how far do the upgrade of the golem stats go, maybe you're right and a warrior with attack and deffense would make it a worthy summon, mmh now I'm tempted to start a warrior :P .

I haven't gone far with it, either. 3 upgrades so far. Golem currently has base 120 damage, 850 health and I think 60 defense? Attack is still the same, but Regina gives a +20 bonus, so it's a moot point. Getting better, but again, I'm not built for it. I'm also tempted to do a warrior now, except a Skald might be able to get the best results.

I've almost got the runes for Ancient Phoenix on my old Skald now, and I'm VERY interested in what could be done with both Phoenix and Golem + song support + my leadership (which is currently at 12,000 at Level 24, if anyone's curious)