PDA

View Full Version : Wives/captains/companions in this one?

Dri
11-02-2012, 01:12 AM
When the game crashed out of nowhere after I was told I needed to leave the first island -- and lost at least half an hour of battles fought -- I've stopped playing this game till at least the first major bugfix patch comes out.

So, since I am only at pretty much the very start of the game I am curious if you get a type of companion with more equipment slots. Legends had wives, Armored Princess had companions... what does WotN have?

...I heard something about making a valkyrie the "chief valkyrie". Is that what it is? Not gonna lie, if its just the valkyries and not unique NPCs you can find hidden throughout the game world I am gonna be kinda bummed. I get that the valkyries are sorta hidden and unique but they're ALREADY part of the story and not something of a bonus/option like the wives and companions were from the other games.

Handel
11-02-2012, 01:17 AM
When the game crashed out of nowhere after I was told I needed to leave the first island -- and lost at least half an hour of battles fought -- I've stopped playing this game till at least the first major bugfix patch comes out.

So, since I am only at pretty much the very start of the game I am curious if you get a type of companion with more equipment slots. Legends had wives, Armored Princess had companions... what does WotN have?

...I heard something about making a valkyrie the "chief valkyrie". Is that what it is? Not gonna lie, if its just the valkyries and not unique NPCs you can find hidden throughout the game world I am gonna be kinda bummed. I get that the valkyries are sorta hidden and unique but they're ALREADY part of the story and not something of a bonus/option like the wives and companions were from the other games.

Instead of 1 companion/wife +4 artifacts now you have on the same place 5 Valkyries. The central Valkyrie is... well, the central and she gives 100% of some bonus. The other give 25% of their respective bonus.

billythegreat
11-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Still, the wives had bonuses and 4 damn slots that i miss now.

Nevar
11-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Honestly, the game gives you so many permanent stat boosts and runes that you can pick up from the map that you'll barely notice the four missing equip slots. The Valkyrie bonuses also somewhat offset the difference.

HOWEVER, what I don't like about the Valkyries so far is that their effects are incredibly generic. Sure, extra rage, gold, and leadership are always nice. But back in TL and CW, you could pick companions that suited your build. Also, the lack of slots makes it very, very hard to equip sets. I.E. if a set ever requires more than one artifact, then that's two classes that can't make it.

I wish there were a way to customize Valkyrie effects.

Puce Moose
11-02-2012, 03:29 AM
I'm also a little sad about the lack of non-main-storyline companions. It was pretty neat to run across some fellow down on his luck, follow a small tangential story to its completion, and then discover he wanted to tag along. I think those side stories added a lot to the game world, and helped create a connection with the quirky, lively inhabitants.

That said, I'm still having a lot of fun with the personalities and characters in Warriors of the North. Herring-guzzling lighthouse keepers, hungover friends feeling a bit fractious after an unfortunate theft after an evening of drinking, smugglers seeking tools to expand their storehouse of ill-gotten goods; there's still some fun writing and characters to be found.

The translation may(?) (I'm playing the English version) be the roughest one yet, but there's a lot of fun dialog and personality in there regardless.