PDA

View Full Version : attack and defense basics

camelotcrusade
11-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Sometimes I am not sure exactly how much that extra point of defense or attack is worth, so I decided to look up the attack vs. defense mechanics for a refresher.

What I found was that each point of attack exceeding defense gives you a 3.3% damage bonus. If it's the other way around (defense exceeds attack), then it is a 3.3% damage penalty.

There is a cap of 200% bonus (i.e., triple damage or 1/3 damage) on either side (or a 60 point difference for triple damage, a 30 point different for double damage, and so on).

I'm assuming it still works like this... anybody know for sure?

PS - that only covers attack vs. defense. The actual damage you'll do still has to consider resistance and whether you have other bonuses or penalties going on.

QNk
11-01-2012, 03:13 AM
DMG is damage.

K is defined as attacker's attack stat (with bonuses) minus defender's defense stats (with bonuses).

Resistances is applied to DMG first. DMG*(1-resistance/100) = sDMG, resistance caps at 95 (95%).

If K is > 0, then sDMG*(1+K*0.0333) = aDMG, this caps at K = 60 for 3x sDMG.

If K =<0, then sDMG/(1-K*0.0333) = aDMG, this one is lowest at -60, for 1/3 sDMG.

Damage calculations after this point are multiplicative(!).

Berserker is applied to aDMG (2*aDMG).

Crit is applied to aDMG [(1.5)*aDMG].

(!) By this, I mean that if you happen to be an absolute beast with the RNG and scores Berserker AND crit WITH Absolute Rage at max, you will do 2*1.5*1.5 = 4.5 times the stack's MAXIMUM damage (because crits are awesome). Add to this another 20% increase from some weapon *coughjollyrogercough*, and you get a whopping 5.4 times maximum damage.

TL;DR, yes, your assumptions were correct, and crits are frickin' dope.

Zechnophobe
11-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Crits cause you to deal 150% of MAXIMUM damage which is very important to know. This means that units with large damage ranges will crit for more than ones with smaller ones.

For example, an ice spiders deals 5 to 5 damage, and crits for 7.5. It's got an average of 5 damage before firing, and 7.5 on crits

A unit that deals 4-6 damage crits for 9 (150% of 6). It has the same average damage as the ice spider, but deals 33% more on a crit!

Also you should realize that the bonus to damage is based on the difference in attack and defense, not the absolute value. This means that decreasing a Black Dragons defense by half (35) is much MUCH more effective than decreasing a dragonfly's defense by half (2). This is why a max strength helplessness can be so incredibly effective against high defense targets.

camelotcrusade
11-01-2012, 03:42 AM
Very helpful, both of you.