PDA

View Full Version : New video of IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

HenFre
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGWJmvK9aW4&feature=related

Tbag
07-02-2008, 08:06 PM
It looks stunning, absoluteley stunning! Thanks HenFre! Anybody found a hi-res version on the net?

Feuerfalke
07-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Good find!

Thanks for the link!

flyingbullseye
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Been trolling awhile and finally had to register. Still having a hard time believing that its the IL2 engine because wow absolutely stunning! Great job there devs. If what Oleg says is true regarding BoB looking noticeably better we are really in for a treat.

Anton Yudintsev
07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Been trolling awhile and finally had to register. Still having a hard time believing that its the IL2 engine because wow absolutely stunning! Great job there devs.

Guys, once again, it is NOT IL-2 engine. It is our own Dagor Engine 3.0 (next-gen edition).

Feuerfalke
07-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Guys, once again, it is NOT IL-2 engine. It is our own Dagor Engine 3.0 (next-gen edition).

... and it looks brilliant! :cool:

Chivas
07-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Why does it state..." We're sorry,This video no longer available "? I've gotten this response a number of times when trying to view Youtube video links people have posted. Yet I can watch related videos, like the original BOP.

Tbag
07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I can still watch it

flyingbullseye
07-02-2008, 11:03 PM

My bad sorry.

*Buzzsaw*
07-02-2008, 11:54 PM

My understanding from Olegs comment is the engine was developed from IL-2. Is this not correct? Is it completely new code or does the engine use IL-2 as the basis?

GF_Mastiff
07-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Wow! Makes me want to buy an Xbox for christmas! Does this game support the flight sticks coming out does it have first person cockpit view?

or is it going to be like the last WWII game that came out for Xbox 3rd person.

ChrisDNT
07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Frankly, this vid simply looks perfect, amazingly perfect, but now the bar is set very, very, very high. If this can be done just with a modified Il2 render engine, Bob must be at least as good and realistic looking like Birds of Prey, and not somehow cartoonish like on its early screenshots.

P.S. Btw, did you notice the A-35 Apache?:grin:

Ploughman
07-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Looks great. Is there a high res one anywhere?

Tbag
07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Anton answered the questions concerning the engine here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=43610#post43610

Thunderbolt56
07-03-2008, 12:06 PM
These videos look great and I will no doubt purchase a copy for my PS3. BUT, if it doesn't support TIR at the very least (hopefully USB Joysticks as well) then I just don't see it getting any extensive time from me.

I know, I'm spoiled. But I'm O.K. with that.

Anton Yudintsev
07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
My understanding from Olegs comment is the engine was developed from IL-2. Is this not correct? Is it completely new code or does the engine use IL-2 as the basis?

It is completely new code and it is not even evolution of IL-2. Only Flight Model is from original IL-2.

Anton Yudintsev
07-03-2008, 12:28 PM
If this can be done just with a modified Il2 render engine

It can't :)

mazex
07-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, Anton what can I say - great work! There are a lot of PC users in the world that would be willing to pay for that game... I guess there may be some deal when using the IL2 FM that you are not allowed to release it for PC?

I would really hate having to buy a console... My Media Center PC works fine for my kids in front of the TV with 360 controllers to play Indiana Jones etc...

Good luck! /Mazex

ChrisDNT
07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
It can't :)

Ah, Ok.

Nevertheless, the bar has been this way set graphically very high. Frankly, this is the first time I see a aircraft game with such convincing landscapes (even with the brown edition of the images).

Tbag
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Any high-res version yet?

Mysticpuma
07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
But just before we all get really carried away....yes it looks nice, yes we want 'our' BoB to be just as nice....BUT!!! Can you really expect the game to play like the video you are seeing.

This game is for the Xbox, not the PC, not the simulation community, it's for the 360 gaming community.

I hope I'm wrong, but I would expect at the very least, multiple HUD's on-screen (these are promo videos) with arrow's pointing everywhere, lots of bad voice acting and cut-scenes, unlimited ammo, un-realistic damage model for your plane...I mean these are the players who get hit 20-times by a bullet an still live!
Can you expect them to head skyward, get one hit from a Cannon round and die? Then they take-off again (if there are take-off's in this 'instant action' day and age) and get hit by a rear-gunner of the bomber?

This will not be seen as enjoyable by the 'quick fix' arcade players, so although looking superb visually, I think it will be very interesting to see what the 'in-game' footage really looks like!

Also as has been pointed out, if there was a way to get the Live Vision Camera to act a TIR, that would be innovative, but I don't see it happening!

Lastly I posted the news about BoP on the Official Xbox 360 Forum when the news was released, here is the link to the thread with all the feedback from excited 360 users about the new sim:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4253&highlight=sturmovik

I'll buy it, but......

Cheers, MP.

skarden
07-03-2008, 09:45 PM
geez mystic,a bit of the glass is half empty eh?you normaly seem quiet a postive person too.personly i think it looks great and will more then likely a blast to play,a lot of your points are based on assumptions only and i think your being as bit harsh by jumping to conclusions like that,i was always told that assumption is the mother of all mistakes,so i think it's better that we wait till we get more info before we start the il-2 forum trend of shooting it down befor we know what really going on.

plus we're lucky enough to have one of the developer's in this very thread so maybe he'll shed a little light on those points if he's allowed. :)

heywooood
07-04-2008, 02:16 AM
yes I agree - lets wait and see - the videos related to Il2 Sturmovic: Birds of Prey are all very interesting to say the least..

I do not have a console today but have owned them in the past and might buy a new one just to see what these guys have done and to further support the genre of combat flight simulation...it will be interesting to see Il2 in full High Definition glory on my livingroom wall....

Anton Yudintsev
07-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I would expect at the very least, multiple HUD's on-screen (these are promo videos) with arrow's pointing everywhere, lots of bad voice acting and cut-scenes, unlimited ammo, un-realistic damage model for your plane...

I'll start from the begining.
There are three types of realism settings in game: 'Simplified', 'Realistic', 'Simulator'.

In first one, 'Simplified' (for arcade players) there are HUDs, arrows pointing everywhere, aiming point showed for locked target (bullets still fly with finite speed), 3rd person site view, no spins, auto-trimming (to compensate G-forces), auto-flaps controlling on landing. Cockpit view is optional.

In 'Relistic', there are HUDs, but no aiming point, still auto-trim and auto-flaps, but spins & stalls on. 3rd Person site view is optional, cockpit view is default.

In 'Simulator', there are NO HUDs, NO aiming point, NO auto-trim NO auto-flaps, spins & stalls on. 3rd Person site view is NOT avialable.

Ammo is infinite in all campaign missions, but in Multiplayer there is an option for making it finite (as a session parameter).

I mean these are the players who get hit 20-times by a bullet an still live!

Regarding damage model - it is more realistic than in original IL2 (according to real WW2 statistics) in all modes. So you can get killed very easy (or kill easy).
And damage model is not simplified for all modes - each part of plane can be damaged independently, including engine, pilot, oil, etc, etc.
BTW, this mean that you can get 20 or 40 hits in a single wing and still can fly (with damaged wing, of course) but plane can be destroyed with one 'lucky' bullet to engine.

I'll buy it, but......

Thanks a lot! :)
Hope I make situation more clear.

BadAim
07-04-2008, 01:27 PM
You're a patient man Anton, it will serve you well around here. I do wonder if having infinite ammo as standard for the campaigns (even in sim mode) is a great idea. I would suggest a bit more thought on that one (assuming of course it's not to late to change it).

That said, you have a fine looking game there.

GF_Mastiff
07-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I still want to see the interface, how does the user interact with this game?

i.e flight control stick i.e saitek 52? trk ir? rudder pedals? Is this going to be use in the game for XBox 360?

Please let us know.

Anton Yudintsev
07-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Please let us know.

For Xbox360 (not for PS3) peripheral devices should approved by MS.
So, we support X360 flightstick (something like 45, not 52).

For PS3, most probably, 52 will work.

Anton Yudintsev
07-04-2008, 02:07 PM
You're a patient man Anton, it will serve you well around here. I do wonder if having infinite ammo as standard for the campaigns (even in sim mode) is a great idea.

It is not so bad idea, actually. We have gun overheating to compensate infinite ammo.
In campaign, players are more interested in interesting play and mission design. It is really very frustrating to restart a mission, if you have all ammo finished, but undamaged plane... Console players won't forgive it.

Most of hardcore players prefer MP in any case - where they can choose limited ammo or infinite, whatever they want.

So you can think about Simulate mode in Campaign as a launch pad for hardcore multiplayer.

Mysticpuma
07-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Anton, If I seem like my heart isn't in it....sorry, it came at a point in the night where alcohol was helping to send me to dream land :(

What I think would be brilliant for your game, would be a comprehensive replay feature, something along the lines of Halo3, where users can create movies from the gameplay and upload them. What I have never understood is why so-few game maker incorporate this feature.
I mean the players upload and share the footage on Youtube/Gametrailers...here even, and all this is free marketing and publicity, opening up the potential of more buyers?

Failing that, a way of creating an 'action' replay along the lines of the Director mode in the 'Driver' games.

So that the user can either replay footage of the mission they have just played, using a dynamic camera, set in game to switch every 4-6 seconds to an alternative camera POV, or let the player direct the replay of the footage they have just flown, again like the 'Driver' games let you.

One more thing you may already have implemented, but only useful for Simulated Mode with finite ammo, is a Gun Camera POV, which would show the player footage only from the time the trigger was pressed?

Lastly, having had an Xbox 360 since they came out, I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it will be to have the Simulated Mode operated on the 360 controller, now that sir is a challenge, and I wish you luck in making it user friendly...wow, seriously good luck!

Finally, as I said, I will be buying it, anything has to be better than the WW2 shooters (air warfare) on the system at the moment, but please can I ask you to think strongly about a replay and film-making option, it really will raise it's profile to have lots of films showing the quality of the game out on the Internet.

No, really this is lastly.....when you get to adding content to the Marketplace, and seeing as I asked first.....The P-47 would be a great plane to start with along with the P-38 and P-51......47 first though ;)

Cheers, MP.

Anton Yudintsev
07-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Making in-game movies is really challenging - I mean, making it according to MS guidelines (TCRs), and user friendly. First wasn't an issue for Halo, of course :)
So I can't promise it will be there. Moreover, I am not allowed to tell you this details till game site will open, actually.

But. All in-game footage that were published, were made exactly like this, in-game. That doesn't mean this feature will be in released game, however.

Sorry, I can't tell you anything about downloadable content will be available first (and which planes will be in initial release also). Stay tuned. All I can say, it seems, that you wan't be disappointed in that. :)

Mysticpuma
07-04-2008, 02:36 PM
BTW it would also be very cool if you had some way (as has been done on the PC) of implementing the Live Vision camera (web cam) for head-tracking like Track IR in IL2?

So-far, hardly anything has been made that uses or could use the Live Vision Camera, but there is a program on the Internet that can use a webcam to track head movement.

Seriously, if this could be added....Blimey it would be awesome!!!

Cheers, MP.

GF_Mastiff
07-05-2008, 04:02 AM
For Xbox360 (not for PS3) peripheral devices should approved by MS.
So, we support X360 flightstick (something like 45, not 52).

For PS3, most probably, 52 will work.

Hey thank you for your answers I'm guesiing here but you work on it or your the PR rep?

Also when is the official site going to up and running?

zapatista
07-05-2008, 04:08 AM
is there a 720p version of the new BoP video available for download somewhere on the web ?

Anton Yudintsev
07-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey thank you for your answers I'm guesiing here but you work on it or your the PR rep?

I am CEO&President of Gaijin Entertainment.

Also when is the official site going to up and running?
No clue. This is publisher's responsibility, actually.
I think, it will be in a month or so.

heywooood
07-06-2008, 03:06 AM
it seems that Oleg and 1c really have hit more of a home run than any of us fully realised...

Stunning console games related to Il2 - along with the new ones based on the SoW series and the the Korean sim, both of which will likely see even more console adaptation / expansion over the coming years.

recently I have reloaded Il2 and copied the latest .dlls and am extremely pleased with the smooth frames and updated textures and lighting etc...

when Gaijin Entertainment launches their game I'll buy it - with the hope that all of these progammers and developers will continue to bring new combat flight sims to market.

GF_Mastiff
07-06-2008, 11:11 PM
heres their web site guys but nothing on it yet.

http://gaijinent.com/

Roast
07-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for posting that trailer, HenFre
and a big Thank You to Anton Yudintsev too for answering questions about Bop

Am I seeing things or do I see what looks like a RAF Mustang IA at 00.46 in the trailer, and later on a Bf109 F or G at 01.15?

Roast

jt_medina
07-08-2008, 12:24 PM
To Anton:

Hi,
First of all I would like to tell you that you and your team are doing a great job!!. :grin:
Ok, I have a question about mission designing.
I am wondering if it would be possible to implement a mission builder in this IL2 Birds of Prey. I really enjoy more designing missions than flying them and
il2 players would have the opportunity to design their own missions, so this could be an excellent feature into this game.

Also in the case that a mission builder be avaliable, could players share their missions when they are hosting a game in multiplayer mode?. Could these
features be possible to implement in game?.

Thank you in advance,

mondo
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm sure I saw an A36 in there! I only ask how realistic can you make the flight model, if its as good as IL'2s then i'm interested in buying it.

ECV56_LeChuck
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm sure I saw an A36 in there! I only ask how realistic can you make the flight model, if its as good as IL'2s then i'm interested in buying it.

It´s IL-2 FM prior to version 4.01.

Anton Yudintsev
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
To Anton:
Could these features be possible to implement in game?.

Thank you in advance,

No chance - at least in first version of the game.
Hope it's not too disappointing.

jt_medina
07-09-2008, 09:27 AM
No chance - at least in first version of the game.
Hope it's not too disappointing.

Disappointing of course not. But this feature is almost a must in a simulator, when you see web sites about simulation you can see some content made by users, these are among others custom skins and missions.
Even the simplest sim has its own mission builder. Check out titles as lockon, IL2, Falcon, Silent Hunter III, Armed Assault.
I think that it is an important feature to have in a sim.

Anton Yudintsev
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
But this feature is almost a must in a simulator, when you see web sites about simulation you can see some content made by users, these are among others custom skins and missions.

This is not true for console players. The game is console game, and is played on console. And it is hard to make user friendly mission designer on console.

mondo
07-09-2008, 10:47 AM
This is not true for console players. The game is console game, and is played on console. And it is hard to make user friendly mission designer on console.

Its hard but not impossible. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried either.

Anton Yudintsev
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Its hard but not impossible. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried either.

There are options.
Try to make excellent game and if it would be successful, than make a sequel with additional important features, but needed for 0.001% of core gamers. Or try to focus on these features, and if the game fails because lack of quality - who cares, we were making really important features. Or make both, and if the game will never be released that would be... predictable.

The game is already very risky - true sim on consoles - adding mission designer would not make our life anyhow easier, and doesn't bring additional revenues as well. Mission Designer on consoles means a lot of additional work to make it user friendly, to pass additional manufacturer (MS/Sony) requirements, etc, etc. It is _much_ harder than providing Editor for PC players (developer already have one Designer for themselves on PC, of course). It is almost as hard as doing the game itself.
I doubt it's worth that - especially on such a risky project as first sim on console.

jt_medina
07-09-2008, 11:58 AM

Anton, I understand your point of view. Anyway your team can get a balance between a "hardcore" mission builder and something that could let players to customize quick multiplayer missions, like for example some kind of quickflying with general options.
Something like this or more simplified.

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&screen=3370 (click on picture 3)

About development time, I prefer six month delay if I can play a more complete product.
Also, I know that console market is a little different, but making a WWII simulation without any mission editor...I insist that it is a weakness even on consoles.

KG26_Alpha
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
"Originally Posted by Anton Yudintsev View Post
This is not true for console players. The game is console game, and is played on console. And it is hard to make user friendly mission designer on console."

+1

The whole nature of console is to pick it up play it and leave it, theres no need for mission building with consoles, once some ones done blasting planes out the sky they will switch to driving a car at 300mph into brick walls blasting aliens with phazer guns, flying round the universe at 3 gazillion light years an hour in full galactic combat with nukes and Ion cannons going off in all directions, these players dont want in game immersion they want gratification immersion, you wont change them, and you dont need to, they will progress to pc simming, the console is a vessel to progress that way if they feel the need to.

IMHO of course :)

mondo
07-09-2008, 12:56 PM
The whole nature of console is to pick it up play it and leave it, theres no need for mission building with consoles, once some ones done blasting planes out the sky they will switch to driving a car at 300mph into brick walls blasting aliens with phazer guns, flying round the universe at 3 gazillion light years an hour in full galactic combat with nukes and Ion cannons going off in all directions, these players dont want in game immersion they want gratification immersion, you wont change them, and you dont need to, they will progress to pc simming, the console is a vessel to progress that way if they feel the need to.

I'm a console player. I'm a PC player at heart but own several consoles and play on them just as much. I'd prefer to buy a console game that I can have custom levels in.

Other console games are going this way, either mission, map or paint editors. Halo3 even had some kind of basic mission editor in there. Crackdown had the starting of an editor too. Granted these were AAA titles but its the start of something. If you really want to see a complex editor, check out the in game Forza 2 livery editor. Thats extremely complex with 4000 layers per car part. Some of the art produced in an in game editor with just a joypad is fantastic and its all made from primatives and shading.

Some of you guys are so out of touch with what the console market is now. I don't mean that as an insult but the guys who were playing NES/master system in the 80's and PS1 in the 90's are all 30+ years old now and playing on 360 and PS3. Its not just the kids who own them these days but adults. I've read stats that state the average console owner is around 29/30 years old.

AFJ_rsm
07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
if it's too much trouble to build into the game, how about a separate mission builder or editor you could use on your PC to create the content, then download on the Xbox and use it in game?

That way you could even take more time to do that and release the mission builder/editor as a post-release download. Even people who don't have the game could create content. Just thinking out loud...

mondo
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
if it's too much trouble to build into the game, how about a separate mission builder or editor you could use on your PC to create the content, then download on the Xbox and use it in game?

Now that would be a first outside of a bespoke development kit.

Anton Yudintsev
07-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Anton, I understand your point of view. Anyway your team can get a balance between a "hardcore" mission builder and something that could let players to customize quick multiplayer missions, like for example some kind of quickflying with general options.
Something like this or more simplified.

Of course we have that 'instant mission' type of mission designer.
I was talking about full scale editor.

About development time, I prefer six month delay if I can play a more complete product.

It won't be 6 months (if we are talking about full scale editor). It would be a year.

Avimimus
07-10-2008, 06:59 PM
It is funny how people try to apply the PC standards to console games.

Here is a question: Have you considered an RTS version? One could let the AI fly the aircraft with the player only giving orders about the types of formations and tactics to be used. I tried a few non-interactive (ie. AI only) 3rd person missions like this in Il-2 and the high quality of modelling inherent in the engine made it much more convincing and interesting (even though I could only change the orders by modifying the mission and restarting it).

zapatista
07-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Anton Yudintsev,

is there a 720p version of the new BoP preview video clip ?

Anton Yudintsev
07-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Anton Yudintsev,

is there a 720p version of the new BoP preview video clip ?

I have one. :)
But it is not us, who posted it.
Probably leaked from publisher...

Roast
07-13-2008, 01:10 PM
I have one. :)
But it is not us, who posted it.
Probably leaked from publisher...

Who officially is allowed to publish these trailers? I bet many of us would like to see a 720p version of the trailer showing the Sicily campaign so we can admire the detail in the landscape and planes even more.

Anton Yudintsev
07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Who officially is allowed to publish these trailers? I bet many of us would like to see a 720p version of the trailer showing the Sicily campaign so we can admire the detail in the landscape and planes even more.

Publishers. 1C and 505 games.
This one was probably leaked on one of the 1C events - "Another day in Moscow" in San Francisco or "Prague'n'Play" in Prague. It was there.

Nike-it
07-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi all, you can download Birds of Prey video in HD from 1C web-site (http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/il-2-sturmovik-birds-of-prey/downloads).

Anton Yudintsev
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi all, you can download Birds of Prey video in HD from 1C web-site (http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/il-2-sturmovik-birds-of-prey/downloads).

It is not Sicily video :)

yarbles
07-14-2008, 01:15 PM
money. that game will look sweet on my 50" plasma. Keep up the good work bro! Hopefully my x360 won't suffer the ring of death and I'll be able to play this game when it arrives!

Nike-it
07-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Finally this movie is available in HD. You can watch it here: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37361.html?type=

And also here are the links for downloading:

MOV (http://www.gametrailers.com/download/37361/t_il-2sbp_debut_h264.mov)

WMV (http://www.gametrailers.com/download/37361/t_il-2sbp_debut_h264.wmv)

Snuff_Pidgeon
07-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks Nike_it!

zapatista
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
thx nike-it

we're HD junkies here, to look at the scenery quality and plane details you need video in higher resolution :)

killspeed
07-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Looks Awesome. Definitely a new game for my Xbox 360.

BAXTER STOCKMAN
07-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I have a 360 but i will play the game on the pc . because pc is better than consoles.

Roast
07-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Nike-it
That was exactly what I was after, a downloadable version of the 'Sicily'-trailer. Now we can see all the planes in more detail and the tremendous detail of the ground below, olive trees, little cottages. The lighting is very meditteranian as expected :grin: pinkish-blue, putting you directly in the mood!
Now let's see if a 'Berlin'-trailer will show 'typical' German weather :wink: :)

wjc103
07-24-2008, 05:26 AM
the only thing that doesn't look real in that trailer is that the tracer smoke trails, in my opinion, are too pronounced, does anyone agree?

guiltyspark
07-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I hope you make as many versions of this game as possible !

We need to get console gamers playing simulators, they offer so much!

When do you think we will see gameplay demonstrations of the game being played in simulator mode?!