PDA

View Full Version : Eric Battle bug - game always crashes

BB Shockwave
10-29-2012, 09:56 AM
This is a serious problem, and made me stop playing the game after spending half an hour trying to win this battle.

Basically, after all other things on the first island is done, all enemies defeated, I need to fight Eric. But no matter what I do, even if I reload an older save, when I am in the battle, the game randomly crashes to the desktop.

It depends on certain things I do - if I change my actions, it will not crash there - but then will crash at the next time an unit attacks or moves.

Example -the game crashed when I used my Soothsayer to cast the freeze spell on Eric's units. So, instead I cast Loki's rage on his Ancient Bears. But then, the game crashed when his bears attacked his zombies - so I cast a spell to damage the zombies, and his bears attacked his wolves - and then the game crashed when his Vikings moved... and so on. This took a lot of reloads, and it is incredibly frustrating, and I am still unable to fight him without the game crashing.

I have thought about starting a new hero, but... what are the odds I won't face the same issue again, after I spent half a day getting to the same battle? I don't have that much time to play on the weekdays...

Seriously, why was this game released with such glaring huge bugs? Especially incredulous since this is essentially the SAME game as the three before it, same engine, same scripts, just with new maps and units and spells. These crashes affect the core programming, and should NOT come up at this point.

I am a fervent supporter of the KB games, and bought them all so far, but now I wish I hadn't bought the last installment - it's unplayeable. And I am wondering whether things will be fixed, or - much like with Crossworlds, remember the Blood Shamans (Shudder) - the fans will have to make mods themselves to fix the issues?

anilinov
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
The game has allot o bugs, atleast f5 key for me is used every 5min. the only solution :D

camelotcrusade
10-29-2012, 09:41 PM
In-battle crashes are not fun. I suspect they have to do with your unique computer and graphics configuration though. The Devs need to make a support sub-forum where you can post your dxdiag and whatever other information they need. Fixing crashes is much harder than fixing obvious bugs in game mechanics or text.

Have you made sure your drivers are up-to-date and tried the fight on low graphics just to see if it crashes?

namad
10-29-2012, 10:20 PM
first question in every bug complaint is...

are you using skalds? if no, is the enemy using skalds? why? skalds are bugged and cause game crashes from their ability paean, although the crash doesn't occur until several turns AFTER the ability is used?

I suspect it has something to do with one of the buffs being bugged and us not yet knowing which one it is? and that ability randomly picks any buff?

although it's possibly an unrelated crash I didn't have any trouble with eric myself

1968simone
12-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Has anybody solved the problem of the crash during the fight with Eric??
can someone help us please?
thanks

aragi
12-29-2012, 05:55 PM
During the fight, and something begins to happen, press [Alt] + [Tab]

messiahgov
12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Do you use the latest patch? Everything works with all 4 battles before Eric and the last battle against Eric. I'm using KB:WotN v1.3.1.6250. But it crashed after the last battle, right after I pressed Yes to save my data to desktop. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I don't want to try again.

iregev
12-30-2012, 10:50 AM
first question in every bug complaint is...

are you using skalds? if no, is the enemy using skalds? why? skalds are bugged and cause game crashes from their ability paean, although the crash doesn't occur until several turns AFTER the ability is used?

I suspect it has something to do with one of the buffs being bugged and us not yet knowing which one it is? and that ability randomly picks any buff?

although it's possibly an unrelated crash I didn't have any trouble with eric myself

I has simillar issues with the skalds.
Every time I fight against an enemy with skalds I keep them on Fear, this prevents them from using abilities

Doombrew
12-30-2012, 04:05 PM
I had the same issues with the unpatched version, but here's some advice you can use for every game which is not working properly (atleast it's worth a try, helped me with the Eric fight).

Im using Windows 8 64 Bit; So I used the compatiblity mode for windows 7, you can also use XP; Run the game as admin aswell.

To be able to do so just rightclick on the KB shortcut and hit "Properties" and go to "Compatibility". (My Windows isn't english, so apologize for spelling mistakes).
Use the drop-down menu to select Windows XP / 7 and tick the box to "Always run it as admin".

There's also a thread floating around with a lot of fixes in the .lua files. So, if the above isn't helping, just take a look there.

ilayda
01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
I had the same problems too. And my game is also unpatched. I solved this problem and I think this isn't a bug. I had the problems on my old computer. Probably It wasn't enough for graphics. Then I started to play my new computer at house. The problem solved with no patches.

Afterflow
01-10-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm also having this problem and indeed it was related to Skalds, good thing I found this thread. :)

Maysen
01-11-2013, 09:29 AM
it's the "last hero" spell that bugs everything... if a unit with this buff is hit, you crash ^^
you'll have the same with heat focus later =)

BB Shockwave
03-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Though the bug is solved now - No, it wasn't the Skalds that caused it. You do not get any Skalds on Nordling anyway, so I dunno why anyone assumed this.

Belgarath
03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Because he often has Skalds in his army when you fight him...

BB Shockwave
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Oh, I see. No, in the 2 cases I got to him he didn't, and even when he did, the game froze whenever one of his other unit acted.

Is Last Hero still bugged? I noticed Skalds do not cast it, and I found the spell but could not purchase/try it yet. (Though the whole delayed 125% damage thing is not really a sweet deal, anyway - you'd need to dispel the spell if you want to use it to full effect).