PDA

View Full Version : Why CloD is NOT finished- the answer! ;)

Borsch
10-23-2012, 02:12 PM
After discussing current situation with CLoD on other forums, I wanted to share one point that came up:

IL2:1946 was just as bland, boring and lifeless, it was it's community that made the amazing content like missions/campaigns/wars. CLOD as a platform is immense - it has more models of different types of fence than RoF has models put together), scripts and triggers can do stuff that is impossible in old Il2, it can run more than a couple of AI units in multiplayer missions (unlike RoF), it is nowhere near as limiting to simultaneous unit numbers as RoF, it has Full Mission Editor that, while can create very complex missions with alternative branchings of events, is still easy to pick up and start using (unlike RoF again), etc... So it STILL has the potential to grow, now that the final patch is out, only this growth now depends on our community.

Also I hope that MG will release SDK for CLoD, that would be great for content growth - new maps for one. I'd love an Afrika personally :)

But, providing community content for CloD will continue to emerge, we could even make do without SDK altogether.

S!

PS Having flown CLoD, I now find Il2:1946 FM to be crude - the crazy stall fights with planes that are far too forgiving,light and sensitive are not what CLoD is about. Ballistics in CLoD are on a different level as well . So I just could not go back to Il2 personally- but that's not the main point of my post :) The main point is that ,contrary to waht many say, CLoD does not have to stay "what it is" -it still can become something much much more.

Winger
10-23-2012, 02:19 PM
After discussing current situation with CLoD on other forums, I wanted to share one point that came up:

IL2:1946 was just as bland, boring and lifeless, it was it's community that made the amazing content like missions/campaigns/wars. CLOD as a platform is immense - it has more models of different types of fence than RoF has models put together), scripts and triggers can do stuff that is impossible in old Il2, it can run more than a couple of AI units in multiplayer missions (unlike RoF), it is nowhere near as limiting to simultaneous unit numbers as RoF, it has Full Mission Editor that, while can create very complex missions with alternative branchings of events, is still easy to pick up and start using (unlike RoF again), etc... So it STILL has the potential to grow, now that the final patch is out, only this growth now depends on our community.

Also I hope that MG will release SDK for CLoD, that would be great for content growth - new maps for one. I'd love an Afrika personally :)

But, providing community content for CloD will continue to emerge, we could even make do without SDK altogether.

S!

PS Having flown CLoD, I now find Il2:1946 FM to be crude - the crazy stall fights with planes that are far too forgiving,light and sensitive are not what CLoD is about. Ballistics in CLoD are on a different level as well . So I just could not go back to Il2 personally- but that's not the main point of my post :) The main point is that ,contrary to waht many say, CLoD does not have to stay "what it is" -it still can become something much much more.

+1 and AMEN:)

jamesdietz
10-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Amen- again!

Trumper
10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Also I hope that MG will release SDK for CLoD, that would be great for content growth - new maps for one.

Thats the important bit and the bit where it will get stuck and sink.

He111
10-24-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm ready to add content, willing (even to pay) and able .. all I need to be shown how to add new aircraft .. how to fix bugs .. fix faulty AI .. given blessing from 1C to do such.

CLOD is a new high detailed flight sim, of course it has potential, as long as the owners don't downgrade it to work on 8088s..

ElAurens
10-24-2012, 03:27 AM
The new content will come with the next installment in the series.

I would not expect the SDK any time soon, and the source code, never, unless you are a hacker.

I suspect the pressure for release of the next iteration is pretty high from the financial backers, so don't count on the dev team pulling people off BoM development to push out an SDK.

We are just going to have to wait to have this theater fleshed out to any greater extent. Once the next title is out and established, then I would think things will open up for community content additions beyond mission building.

Just my opinion.

Chivas
10-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Unless things change with the announcement, they plan to release the map SDK with the Sequel. People have been calling the sim dead for atleast five years and they have been wrong for five years. They may eventually be right, but who cares. In the meantime the development continues, and as long as it continues, there will be new content from the community and devs, that could easily go far beyond what we had with the original series, which was the whole point in the venture in the first place.

mazex
10-24-2012, 06:26 AM

S!

+1

ATAG_Doc
10-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I'll drink to anything.

hiro
10-24-2012, 07:22 AM
yeah i agree with the posters that said the SDK would come with the sequel . . .

although a part of me says that will be shelved and won't be available until after the sequel . . . maybe in a patch or even the sequel's sequel, the third one.

The devs have alot to work on still, to make the sequel all they promised, and I think stuff like game engine, AI, trees, clouds, weather, or comms or something else will be given priority. After all they're going to have to focus on something that is a hit out of the ball park, something awesome to give to the community, that works first time for most systems, after the fiasco . . .

but agree with the OP, the community plays a huge role in helping improve CLOD and provide more CLOD content.

Stublerone
10-24-2012, 10:29 AM
As long as the devs cannot provide regular contents, the game will be stuck at least until BoM will come. Ipsonally hope, that we see new scenarios, new planes, etc every year. It strongly depends on getting close to the amount of content, that il2 1946 has. We need every scenario and a big quantity of planes to create planesets and new evenings. We need some room for own decisions, if we fly a scenario with historically correct planes or with competitive planes.

And again my claim: The battle of britain is a freaking boring scenario of the war in my view. I am looking forward to the eastern anf western fronts, where you can create much more scenarios and more atmosphere. Bob just was a couple of weeks, where both sides just wanted to win time for next steps. Noone really could blame the other side completely.

And: I want to fly a focke with "komandogeraet" and have an advantage not to manage as much as the enemy. Just want to see, if this could really generate an advantage, as it historically was. Just love to see something like that. Just want to fly focke ;)

Tiger27
10-24-2012, 11:48 AM
As long as the devs cannot provide regular contents, the game will be stuck at least until BoM will come. Ipsonally hope, that we see new scenarios, new planes, etc every year. It strongly depends on getting close to the amount of content, that il2 1946 has. We need every scenario and a big quantity of planes to create planesets and new evenings. We need some room for own decisions, if we fly a scenario with historically correct planes or with competitive planes.

And again my claim: The battle of britain is a freaking boring scenario of the war in my view. I am looking forward to the eastern anf western fronts, where you can create much more scenarios and more atmosphere. Bob just was a couple of weeks, where both sides just wanted to win time for next steps. Noone really could blame the other side completely.

And: I want to fly a focke with "komandogeraet" and have an advantage not to manage as much as the enemy. Just want to see, if this could really generate an advantage, as it historically was. Just love to see something like that. Just want to fly focke ;)

Are you serious, the British pilots and the Europeans that joined them were fighting so that there was somewhere to continue the war from, whether the Germans invaded or not had they gained air superiority over Britain there would never have been all the "exciting" campaigns too follow.

macro
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM

Cant beleive i just read that. Go read some history books will you.

Falstaff
10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Stublerone said:

And again my claim: The battle of britain is a freaking boring scenario of the war in my view.

Only on this forum...

8/10 for Clod anybody...?

JG52Krupi
10-24-2012, 05:33 PM

http://robinbrown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/double-facepalm1.jpg

Plt Off JRB Meaker
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
And again my claim: The battle of britain is a freaking boring scenario of the war in my view.

Each to their own I guess,but I would hardly call The Battle Of Britain a freaking boring scenario!...........:rolleyes:

Slipstream2012
10-24-2012, 06:46 PM

You tell that to any veteran that flew in the Battle of Britain, British or German. Many Germans suffered "Channel Sickness" out of pure fear & the British were forced to defend their very way of life against the military might of the hoards of German planes that crossed the channel that summer.

In my view, with all respect, your a stats-whore who has absolutely no interest in history & are only interested in your own self gratification, which means you prefer to take the highest performing aircraft available and take down as many aircraft as you can, with the least amount of skill possible.
I'm sure you loathed in the days of the under performing allied aircraft and are truly heartbroken that now you have to muster some skill to shake that pesky Hurricane from your tail. So now you spend your days fantasizing over flying your FW-190 and picking on those outclassed Soviet aircraft.

I personally fantasize over shooting down people like you in a LaGG-3.

engadin
10-24-2012, 07:05 PM

S!

And how could it be determined how many of the coming sales of the sim after the release of the so expected community patches are due to the improvements they would add and not for the sim itself? :( Just kidding but a bit of truth shows up if you look carefully ;) I can not agree with the way 1C has handle the sim development and I think it should be unfair them to earn more for a sim that really did never match the expectatives their developers raised. But, well, the story repeats again (Il-2 revisited).

JG52Krupi
10-24-2012, 07:07 PM
So now you spend your days fantasizing over flying your FW-190 and picking on those outclassed Soviet aircraft.

Come on dude everyone knows that the "I win" aircraft of il2:1946 was not the 190 but the la-7 :P and also the spit mkIX 25 lb boost...

MB_Avro_UK
10-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Did someone say the Battle of Britain lasted two weeks? From his use of the word 'gotten', I suspect that he is American.

If an aerial defence of the American coast against Japanese bombers and fighters had lasted for six months, I'm sure he would have been more interested.

Slipstream2012
10-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Come on dude everyone knows that the "I win" aircraft of il2:1946 was not the 190 but the la-7 :P and also the spit mkIX 25 lb boost...

Krupi old chap, I remember those days well. Infact my first few sorties in LA-7's resulted in me getting so over confident with its superior speed and handling characteristics that I actually rammed a few FW-190's & other assorted enemies, and made a complete idiot of myself.

The Spitfire IX 25lb was a great little aircraft until everyone on the red side start using them excessively.

My personal "I win" plane was the I-16 ;)

Stublerone
10-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Cant beleive i just read that. Go read some history books will you.

What are u talking about? What about history books? It is just my opinion, that I would like to play other scenarios than the channel map. Channel map in 1946 was boring and forced some guys to quit playing on that card, also saying, that they wait for clod. And now the same with all the guys I know. Game is boring, map is boring.

Again: just my opinion. And I do not say, that the fact I love a focke and the possibilties to simulate all its features, is causing that I fly blue on an eastern front scenario to gain kills. I would fly lagg or mig, yak and la as well. I like the la5 or even a mig3. It has nothing to do with unbalancing it. It is room for everything you would think of. Overwhelming quantities against better planes could also be great.

Concerning 2 weeks: never said that. I just overdosed to "a couple of weeks" to state, that I am bored of bob. Next scenarios after the time of bob are all more interesting for me, although I also love the beauty spit. ;) Just overshooting, but I really do not really like it that much. And couple of others said that as well earlier, where the plans for a new il2 were announced. Many said, that channel map isn't their favorite. Sure I want it and also wabt all the planes of this period, but I am personally dreaming of other scenarios. Basta ;)

No need for insults here. I attacked noone. And again after all that: What do history books and face palm have to do with my opinion? Rofl!!!

Stublerone
10-25-2012, 03:03 PM
You tell that to any veteran that flew in the Battle of Britain, British or German. Many Germans suffered "Channel Sickness" out of pure fear & the British were forced to defend their very way of life against the military might of the hoards of German planes that crossed the channel that summer.

In my view, with all respect, your a stats-whore who has absolutely no interest in history & are only interested in your own self gratification, which means you prefer to take the highest performing aircraft available and take down as many aircraft as you can, with the least amount of skill possible.
I'm sure you loathed in the days of the under performing allied aircraft and are truly heartbroken that now you have to muster some skill to shake that pesky Hurricane from your tail. So now you spend your days fantasizing over flying your FW-190 and picking on those outclassed Soviet aircraft.

The neyt, who have read more between the lines than the lines itself Sorry, but I never said anything about dramatic scenes or a hard time. I also did not tell that I am historically uninterested stat flyer. I am nearly the only person who is barking not to get ANY global rankings, k/d ratio, etc. I hate such things. When you read carefully you know what I would like to see. In a time later, where good planes arise on every side, I would like to see the difference with kommandogeraet simulated to strengthen the focke. It was not overall superior alone about the characteristics, but it was feared because of the devices it had implemented later. And I just would like to see that really simulated and would like to see , how it influences the fights. And if you read the beginning, I just told, that IN MY VIEW, the scenario is boring for my taste. It simply isn't my favorite.

Again no insult necessary and reading between the lines is not your strength, I guess. Everything I said later is just to express, that I personally really find this scenario boring. A bit too much, but just read!

furbs
10-25-2012, 03:04 PM
My personal "I win" plane was the I-16 ;)

Please dont remind me of the "green laser death" I-16. :evil: