PDA

View Full Version : If this was just a non-combat Spitfire only simulator...

mazex
10-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I just took a spin around the Kent countryside to test out the Spitfire IIa and see how it has changed in the final patch... Did a couple of touch and go's at Gravesend, did a full stop and shut down the engine and played around with the clickable cockpit. Started the engine again and took off with the canopy pulled back like they did back then and could almost feel the wind in my face. Did some external flybys and listened to the Merlin growl as I pushed it to see what speed I could reach at sea level. Tweaked the radiator and the prop pitch while keeping an eye at the temp readouts and the manifold pressure. Looked at the Thames winding inland in the haze and just enjoyed life skimming the sea. While landing in the sunset I realized a detail I had not noticed before - the small hatch that opens on the rear end of the wing to allow space for the horn and linkage to the flaps while fully extended. Stopped and watched it open and close nicely when the flaps went into fully extended position...

And really, being able to do just that better than in any simulator I've tried is worth the original pre-order price of $39 for me. Just think of all the love that has been poured into just doing that cockpit, the CEM and systems modelling etc... And then we have a whole bunch of aircraft with the same level of detail to play with. FSX with addons like Wings of Power is not even near regarding simulating the Spitfire for me... In CloD if feels a lot more like a real simulation with the engine that does not start in patch x or y as they really try to simulate the engine startup for real with temperature etc, and not just an animation of a starting Merlin if you press the correct buttons. You actually feel like you accomplished something when you manage to push it for a whole flight without damaging it - even without Me's in the air :)

So, as the AI still needs a bit of that love, I really need to start practicing my full real skills to be able to enjoy some online flying in this game now without getting shot to pieces all the time... And it's a bit sad that the only server that is well populated is in Chicago ;) The ping to ATAG really hurts so see - I get around 120 to it when the german servers that have a few players in them get 20 or even less....