PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain the combat runes

jake21
10-18-2012, 12:44 PM
In this game there is something called combat runes (I think that is the right name). It is mentioned in the first page of the manual but then for reason I do not understand they never explain their usage in combat.

Basically when you select a troup to move - there are three buttons (attack, defense and luck) but what the manual does not explain is what they do and more important what resource they use - what determines which options are available. Even worse they are called runes but are NOT the same as 'talent' (red, green, blue) runes which are used to gain skills.

Very confusing. I really wish they had described them in the manual rather than give them a single bullet point as a 'new' thing and leave it at that.

Fatt_Shade
10-18-2012, 04:43 PM
http://www.kingsbountygame.com/handbook/magic Check part about Rune magic. I think it has some connection to runes you mentioned for units. This is available only for Viking troops i think.

J.B.
10-18-2012, 05:42 PM
It's a special skill from the viking race. I found this on the HP of the game:

Also all Viking units have special skill - Knowledge of the Runes. Before you start the battle all Vikings receive three runes, 1 piece of each type - attack, defense, and luck. At the beginning of the turn each Viking uses 1 rune and gets appropriate bonuses and the number of runes reduces. The player chooses what rune to use before the turn of each unit. You can also pass the choice of runes to the senior Valkyrie. Valkyries activate runes according to personal preferences. The effect of the rune lasts up to the next round. The number runes that the warrior can store can be increased by special skill of the hero.
•Rune of Attack: creature receives + 20% to attack and the chance of critical hit.
•Rune of Defense: creature gets + 20% to defense and health.
•Rune of Luck: the creature has a 10% chance of second turn during the attacks

See also: http://www.kingsbountygame.com/handbook/tactics

I'm wondering if the player will be able to choose at the beginning of each combat round for each of his units, if he wants to use a rune or if he has to use them in the three first rounds of a battle?!

Greets

J.B.

jake21
10-19-2012, 03:49 PM
That is what I wanted; wish they had included it in the manual. It was very confusing. Hum. I *think* there is a missing detail; it seems that something rests them - perhaps rage; or maybe it is being reset at the start of each round.

It's a special skill from the viking race. I found this on the HP of the game:

See also: http://www.kingsbountygame.com/handbook/tactics

I'm wondering if the player will be able to choose at the beginning of each combat round for each of his units, if he wants to use a rune or if he has to use them in the three first rounds of a battle?!

Greets

J.B.

Mandea
10-19-2012, 05:17 PM
very nice aditions by the way. I really like them.

Zechnophobe
10-22-2012, 06:54 PM
That rune of Attack is mm-mm tasty. 20% boosted crit AND attack will be a pretty major boost to damage, especially late game.

Though I do wonder if the Viking units will end up being good at all. Most of the Human units waned in value late game (barring paladins, archmages, and inquisitors)

jake21
10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Note that the chance of trigger is really low. You select the rune to use and then move the character. If it triggers the effect then the rune is used; if it fails to trigger the effect then (somtimes) you can use the runes the next turn - the sometime bit confuses me - not sure if if it is by design or bug; but the fact that the rune only has a small chance of actually using the effect is a bit 'frustrating' or 'annoying' or something or other. You want to use them because they grant nice benefit but you can't actually depend on them working as they are unreliable.

Mygaffer
10-26-2012, 12:21 AM
Note that the chance of trigger is really low. You select the rune to use and then move the character. If it triggers the effect then the rune is used; if it fails to trigger the effect then (somtimes) you can use the runes the next turn - the sometime bit confuses me - not sure if if it is by design or bug; but the fact that the rune only has a small chance of actually using the effect is a bit 'frustrating' or 'annoying' or something or other. You want to use them because they grant nice benefit but you can't actually depend on them working as they are unreliable.

I hope that is not how it works as I find most of the time that sort of chance takes away from the strategy aspects of a game.

namad
10-26-2012, 06:56 AM
I hope that is not how it works as I find most of the time that sort of chance takes away from the strategy aspects of a game.

don't worry this guy seems to have almost no idea how runes work!

to clarify it's possible for a rune's effect to be instanteous and non-random OR totally random, of the three basic viking runes the vikings units have on them attack and defense are just flat toggles and luck is random, the rune system is pretty satisfying (I've only played the tutorial so far) although it's only got a minor effect on the game

camelotcrusade
10-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Actually what they need to do is put the effect of the runes in the tooltip when you select them. Right now all it says it the name of the rune... let's add what it does to that text.

I don't think it would be hard to do and the reminder would be useful. If we get a suggestions thread going let's put that in there.

camelotcrusade
10-28-2012, 05:02 AM
After playing a while I think I can clarify the runes: Every viking unit is a rune bearer (you'll see this in their description). They mostly start with 1 of each rune (Soothsayers have 2 of each). Each turn you can spend one of those runes to get the buff for *that turn.* Then it's used up. After experimenting with this a bit, I believe the bonuses to attack/defense only impact the base stat. So my slingers with 4 base attack are getting +1 attack, not +5 because they have 20 attack when you add in my stats.

•Rune of Attack: creature receives + 20% to base attack and the base chance of critical hit.
•Rune of Defense: creature gets + 20% to base defense and base health.
•Rune of Luck: the creature has a 10% chance of a second turn after it goes.

Runes refresh every time you start a new fight, or when you cast the level one rune magic spell Runic Word, which gives the unit one of each rune. If you know rune magic, all your troops may randomly get more runes (even if they are non-vikings).

Totoro
10-28-2012, 05:19 AM
It's hard to believe the Luck rune trigger chance is only 10%. For me it seems to trigger like every other time.

And how does the medal that increases rune effectiveness by 10%/20%/30% affect runes?
Does the highest medal make attack rune give +50% to base attack and give luck rune 40% trigger chance?
Or just +26.666% to base attack and 13% trigger chance.

camelotcrusade
10-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Good question. I don't have that medal. Once you get to the benefits in question, let us know what happens.

Btw, it could also give +30/40/50% to base attack/crit chance/defense/health. If I had to guess, I would guess that is what happens. As to the other, not sure which it will be.

Loopy
10-28-2012, 02:40 PM
It's a 1.1/1.2/1.3 multiplier to the effect of the rune. i.e. Attack runes give +22/24/26% damage and crit rate.

It's worth noting that it's very easy to grind this medal every battle. I had the 2nd level before getting off the first island.

It's also worth noting that while the benefit only applies to the base stats of the units, other buffs can work on both. My Berserkers with +1 morale have an 82% crit rate from both Berserk and Attack rune.

camelotcrusade
10-28-2012, 05:55 PM
While we are explaining runes, what does it mean when you tell the Valkyrie you want her to take over rune management? I don't get any feedback and I'm not going to pick it without knowing what it does. :)

ironballs
10-30-2012, 08:44 AM
I don't understand how to activate those runes...
Where on the screen is the button\option to select which rune to activate ?

Bhruic
10-30-2012, 08:52 AM
They are right above the spell book/rage of the valkyries.

BB Shockwave
10-30-2012, 10:05 AM
There seems to be a bug with the Soothsayer (unit) ability that gives +1 runes to all Vikings. Instead, it gives usually +1 for TWO Runes (like, Attack and Defense) but none to the third. So, maybe it means it gives 2 runes, not +1 to all of the three rune types?

Nike-it
10-30-2012, 10:17 AM
There seems to be a bug with the Soothsayer (unit) ability that gives +1 runes to all Vikings. Instead, it gives usually +1 for TWO Runes (like, Attack and Defense) but none to the third. So, maybe it means it gives 2 runes, not +1 to all of the three rune types?

Are you sure? I tried several times with different saves but Soothsayers always give 1 random rune to each unit.
Please make a screen if possible

ironballs
10-30-2012, 11:08 AM
They are right above the spell book/rage of the valkyries.

Thanks! don't know how I missed it...

Ma233e
10-30-2012, 11:42 AM
very nice aditions by the way.
http://www.rdox.info/01.jpghttp://www.rdox.info/02.jpghttp://www.rdox.info/8.jpghttp://www.rdox.info/04.jpg