PDA

View Full Version : will Warriors of the North have Faster Turn based Battle?

niceGuy
10-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I am specifically talking about the delay between choosing an action and then the time you have to wait for the animation before you can choose another action.

With Kings Bounty it's pretty much all about the Battles (there is no build up your castle so you can get better guys, it is entirely about the battles - so please make battles not drag). I lost interest in Armored Princess because the battles took too long (after exploring most the middle island), specifically I am talking about the drag caused by the delay in not being able to perform another action while the animation was going on.

There are several ways I think this can be done, (1) have option to turn off animation, or atleast option to make movement animations superfast! (2) calculate damage and losses and outcome of move before animation ends and give the player the option to select the next action, allowing multiple animations similtaniously, (3) reduce how long animations take (some creatures like the robotic ones needed to turn around in circles a few times every move and pet dragon attacks I think slow too) (4) have the feature like HoMM4 and other games were it auto calculates the outcome of a battle before you even do the battle, and you can except that outcome or do the battle yourself.

I have played HoMM 1,2,3,4 and other turned based games and their really isn't that much different strategy you can use for a game to last over 5min, I actually prefer a game like Oger Battle or Oger Battle 64 were the fighting takes place automatically, then you can focus more on other stuff like army comp or making sure your creatures develop into the right class progression you want or... <insert some other cool game progression mechanic here>

Well that kind of leads me into a 2ndary issue is for King's Bounty which is: after you figure out what your favorite 5 creature army is, it gets dull - all you're looking forward to is increasing the stat that allows you to recruit more of those 5 creatures.

I'm the player that can take months strategising with game information calculating exactly how I want to do things and experimenting with game mechanics, but when I am executing my strategy - I want it Not to take 30min long per battle... I have already Decided what exactly I am going to do - there Is Nothing to Decide Really. Shoot if I could program my creatures how to behave I would then I wouldn't have to order them at all.

Zechnophobe
10-02-2012, 01:09 AM
You do realize there was a 'quick combat' option that made the fights much faster, right?

That aside, I'd still like it if the animations for spells could be cancelled, or normalized in duration. Some, like stoneskin, take a ridiculous amount of time.

Fatt_Shade
10-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Since our fellow KB player found how to change in battle speed as much as he like here http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=33510 , i dont see why it couldnt be done same way in upcoming WotN.

Zechnophobe
10-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Fantastic, I'll have to remember to look for that when WotN comes out. Just to tweak some of the oddly long abilities to a more reasonable speed. No more will stone skin take 50% of the entire game time!