PDA

View Full Version : Transports

ilmavoimat
09-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Just a thought, as a change from endless dogfights any chance in the future of a C-47 and Ju52 as flyables. Neither side could have achieved anything wiyhout them and there would be plenty of FMB possibilities for Stalingrad, Normandy, Burma etc and they'd both make good multi engine trainers for instrument flying practice.

Bolelas
09-30-2012, 11:34 AM
I gess it is not asking to much, and would give the game something very diferent. I can imagine myself flying one of those cargos, doing navigation etc, and some(human) fighters ascorting :)

Luno13
09-30-2012, 06:12 PM
+1 I would love 'unarmed' transport or recon missions :)

Nil
10-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Junkers 52, DC3...
I dream to have those planes with accurate cockpit and realistic handling.
At least for dropping paratroops on airfield, and as stated above, they had a very important role in the war.

Personnaly, I use also 1946 as a flight simulator (peace) I do not know why I prefer to fly in this sim than FS9 or FSX
Maybe I feel IL2 1946 more "authentic" or immersive.

Thus flying a transport for war or not would be so nice.

ElAurens
10-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Both are flyable in modded versions of the sim.

Once the "new" wears off, they just get you to the smoking hole in the ground a little bit slower than a fighter or bomber, and you always end up a smoking hole in the ground if any enemy air opposition is around.

Nil
10-02-2012, 01:59 AM
There are flyable in the modded version, but their cockpit are not accurate, and their handling are bad.
After, being shot is not or not is not the point as it is a matter of skill and cooperation with little friends.
A transport mission is also a war mission.

Nil
10-13-2012, 09:57 PM
The Li2 took a very important role in the war, not only as a transport, but also as a bomber (2*500kg or 4*250 kg bomb) thousands were build during the war
Here is a very nice documentary in English about this plane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrQqh4LVaS4

http://imageshack.us/a/img72/466/li2niivvs.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/5417/li2coc.jpg

10-13-2012, 11:14 PM
well, about soviet "transport" li-2 - do not expect to carry only anti-aircraft gunners (зенитчицы:)) and canned meat - all planes was armed and have, at least, one machine gun...

The Li2 took a very important role in the war, not only as a transport, but also as a bomber (2*500kg or 4*250 kg bomb) thousands were build during the war

yeah, and what i found now about weapon loads for Li-2 bomber, in total (it's li-2 with or 4 shkas, or 3 shkas and 1 UBT) -

lot of small bombs (i think, ao-2.5, ao-25 etc)...

lot of fab-100...

4 fab-250...

2 fab-500 and 2 fab-250...

4 fab-500 (overload)...

4 rs-82...

well...:) if only half of this true, it's really not bad for "just cargo"...

shelby
10-14-2012, 08:06 AM
shall we have transports for Great Britain and Japan for il2?

Pursuivant
11-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Once the "new" wears off, they just get you to the smoking hole in the ground a little bit slower than a fighter or bomber, and you always end up a smoking hole in the ground if any enemy air opposition is around.

No worse than some other hapless early war planes in the game like the Devastator or the D3A1.

Also, keep in mind that the Ju-52 was successfully used as a bomber during the SCW and that versions of the Li-2 and DC-3 were used as improvised bombers during WW2 and post-WW2 conflicts.

While I agree that the transports should be at the back of the line for cockpits until every single-engine plane in the game is flyable, they would be welcome additions - some day.

For the moment, what would be useful would be improved loadouts reflecting different amounts of cargo and balance points, as well as bomb loadouts where appropriate. There would also be no harm in improving their FM with an eye towards eventually modeling their cockpits and crew stations.

ElAurens
11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Cannot argue with that.

BTW, in various mods they are flyable. Hence my tale of smoking holes in the ground, and um... I was the one laying in the bottom of that hole.

;)

One of the BlitzPigs did a mod AC-47 gunship from the Viet Nam era that was fun to play with. We had a map with truck convoys all over it and we set out at dusk to attack them. Holding the correct altitude and speed and a near perfect circle to keep the guns on target is not an easy thng, even in a slow, lumbering transport.

Pursuivant
11-18-2012, 07:42 AM
shall we have transports for Great Britain and Japan for il2?

While it would be interesting to have British- or Japanese-built transports in the game, I would argue that the UK and Japan already have their most important transport type: the DC-3 or license-built versions of it.

Seriously.

While the British had a number of transports converted from bombers, they didn't have a successful native heavy transport plane until late in the war (the Avro York). In the meantime the U.S. supplied over 2000 C-47 to the UK and Commonwealth. Additionally, the UK and Commonwealth nations impressed or militarized existing fleets of civilian DC-3s.

In Japan, the license-built version of the DC-3, the Nakajima/Showa L2D, was built in far greater numbers than any other Japanese transport plane.

It's hard to understate the importance of the DC-3/C-47 on aviation history. It was the dominant transport plane of the late 1930s and early 40s; just about every nation on earth used it. In many ways, it was the first modern transport aircraft and some are still in commercial operation today!

Pursuivant
11-18-2012, 07:49 AM
One of the BlitzPigs did a mod AC-47 gunship from the Viet Nam era that was fun to play with.

There are lots of fun mods for the C-47. In addition to the AC-47 mod, there is also a modded version with crude bomb loadouts designed for a El Salvador-Ecuador "Soccer War" campaign. Basically, you press the trigger and a bomb drops out of the plane - representing bombs rolled out the cargo door by the crew chief.

Fun campaign, but a bit dated. Serious fun for warbird buffs because the Soccer War was the last time that piston-engined WW2-era planes engaged each other in combat (Corsairs vs. Mustangs).

12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
another weapon of li-2 - Летно-технический состав активно участвовал в совершенствовании самолета. В 101 АПДД был разработан вариант штурманской кабины для Ли-2 и отправлен на завод № 84 с целью внедрения ее в серийное производство. Силами ИТС турель МВ-3 под ШКАС заменялась на УТК-1 под УБТ. Для отражения атак истребителей с хвоста на самолете смонтировали держатель авиационных гранат ДАГ-10 (работы велись под руководством заместителя старшего инженера 101 АП по вооружению инженер-капитана Левина).