PDA

View Full Version : What chance of a new P-38 Model, with correct mesh and UV mapping for skins?

Mysticpuma
08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
As much as I love the P-47, the P-38 is also crying out for some love. I realise that there is work going on to make the cockpits better but the age-old problem of skinning is a real frustration.

Currently any skin created cannot be 'historically accurate' as part of the mesh is sued on the opposite side meaning any skin that has a texture on that mesh, means it is mirrored on the opposite side.

Now I fully understand that modifying any of the existing models will mean years of user skins no-longer being compatible and I can see that being unacceptable.

So is there any way that a 'new' P-38 could be created, maybe an earlier or later variant of the ones that we already have, but this could effectively be a starting from new project. This way all the other P-38's and their skins remain untouched but the new P-38 can be skinned correctly so that the texture mirroring is no-longer an issue.

Okay, I have never modelled in 3D (it is something I am considering learning once I complete Checkertails Part 2) but most of the model is already there from previous versions, it just needs to be mesh-mapped and UV mapped so that each part has it's own individual texture. Then at-last we can show the P-38 accurately?

I hope this is possible as along with the P-47 the P-38 really could do with a little loving ;)

Cheers, MP

Mysticpuma
09-05-2012, 07:46 PM
well at-least 125 people were interested enough to have a look ;)

IceFire
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
It's possible (i.e. not associated with the company that shall not be named)... and it'd be great to have for those New Guinea map missions for sure.

Mysticpuma
09-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Yay! I hoped someone would spot the potential for the New Guinea Map. It would be perfect and with authentic skins it could be incredibly immersive!?

Cheers, MP

IceFire
09-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Oh all these ideas cross my mind... I wish I had some talent in the 3D so I could help. The trick with the early model P-38s is that they have a somewhat different cockpit than the later models so it'll need a fairly extensive remodelling. It'd be worth it... just that it needs to be done.

CWMV
09-06-2012, 02:16 AM
The mod early 38's are pretty good, but they are based off of the original 3d which is starting to look REALLY dated!
I think its pretty astounding that none of the 3d modders have taken up the challenge of updating the -38's 3d like they have done with the 109, Zero, P-40 etc.

Fighterace
09-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Id like to see some brand new P-38 3d models....one can only hope :D

Pursuivant
09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Id like to see some brand new P-38 3d models....one can only hope :D

Gibbage's modded versions of the P-38F and G are very good, although they still have the mirrored skin problem.

Since it appears that there are no longer restrictions on MTO content, the P-38F would be a welcome addition to the North African theater.

Fighterace
09-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Gibbage's modded versions of the P-38F and G are very good, although they still have the mirrored skin problem.

Since it appears that there are no longer restrictions on MTO content, the P-38F would be a welcome addition to the North African theater.

Now we only need new cockpits for them.

Fighterace
10-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Bump
+1