PDA

View Full Version : MegaTestures = 0 Fof = 0 Are these working?

hc_wolf
08-03-2012, 04:40 AM
Hey BlackSix or anyone else,

I have not tested in latest patch. Is Megatextures and FOG

Are megatextures and fog usable yet?

Megatextures tpically mean the use of massive blanket textures (Like in Rage)
(Does not need lots more Graphic card RAM like you would just forcing big textures like 4080x4080 ).

Or is the Megatextrues meaning the use of textures at 4080x4080 (requires lots of graphics Ram).

Also Can anyone explain about the effect of buildings and trees popping up (at any distance)... Any chance we can have them "Fade in/Fadeout" Makes for a much more seamless environment. Would this be hard to put in BOM if you can't for COD.

Just asking.. :)

adonys
08-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Hey BlackSix or anyone else,

I have not tested in latest patch. Is Megatextures and FOG

Are megatextures and fog usable yet?

Megatextures tpically mean the use of massive blanket textures (Like in Rage)
(Does not need lots more Graphic card RAM like you would just forcing big textures like 4080x4080 ).

Or is the Megatextrues meaning the use of textures at 4080x4080 (requires lots of graphics Ram).

Also Can anyone explain about the effect of buildings and trees popping up (at any distance)... Any chance we can have them "Fade in/Fadeout" Makes for a much more seamless environment. Would this be hard to put in BOM if you can't for COD.

Just asking.. :)

I've tried to enable it at some point, but it would crash the game. haven't checked it yet with the latest versions of the alpha/beta patches.

Having megatexture feature implemented into the game would be great, at least from memory usage point of view (and terrain graphics quality). it would also mean, though, that terrain dynamic lightning is gone.

salmo
08-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Tried these settings in a MP server game, UseFog=1 does not crash the game for me but cannot see any 'fog'. MegaTexture=1 caused a launcher failure on game startup.

recoilfx
08-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Not sure about CloD's megatexture - but John Carmack first coined it for the idTech5 engine. Basically it's a texture virtualization system that allow the use of up to 128000×128000 textures.

Crazy stuff. The game rage had 20gigs texture and it's absolutely beautiful and it has almost no repeating terrain textures. The whole world felt hand crafted.

It's also why Rage was plagued with initial technical difficulties during release. Graphics manufactures had to put their act together for the new methods of retrieving textures.

I assume CloD dropped this direction because they simply didn't have the resources (and that's why CloD had some crazy huge textures, I assume they were planning to go the mega textures route)