PDA

View Full Version : So do you think the 'BIG' patch for Clod will be released at the same time as BoM?

Mysticpuma
07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
As I understand it, BoM (even though it is apparently going to be a MMO) should be using the CloD game engine. As we know there are many issues with the game engine, but 1C have been (we are led to believe but have to guess because of the lack of forum input from them) working diligently on the new 'Retail' patch to fix many of the issues.

However, as a thought, is this really worth their while to release it, get moaned at and then have to try and do more fixes, or, do they just close the doors, work through the code, fix it so that it really does work with BoM and then when BoM gets launched, they push out the fixed Game Engine patch for CloD?

I'm only thinking that if they can get BoM to work with the game engine, then maybe they would rather just work at it and then release it all in one go to fix CloD, and then say "the game engine works, so BoM works too! Now come and buy it with confidence" ?

Regardless, it would be good to know just what the priorities (apart from the move to a new office which no-doubt will take 6-months.....honest Gov!) are for 1C and if CloD is still even on the agenda until BoM is launched?

Cheers, MP

kristorf
07-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I only pray that and 'fix' is not dependant on having to spend any more money

Tavingon
07-18-2012, 07:41 PM
I guess it will come slightly before so everyone is 'warmed up' for the grand release of the sequel!

grawl
07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
I think it should be released before the announcement of the sequel, so that everybody's head get a bit cooler and it does not get downed in flames.

trademe900
07-18-2012, 07:46 PM
The bottom line is we defrauded so long ago and still to this day have not got what we have paid for.

I will not go near BoM purely on a matter of principle.

flyingblind
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
No - before. Any updates will need testing especially the 'big patch'. This will likely come out before sequel release as good reviews of it will get sales of sequel off to a good start. Also there is probably much more work required to complete the sequel than the patch so an earlier release will give the developers more time to bug squash whilst sequel is being finished.

Whiski
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
They can release 5 new titles if they want, I won't be spending any money on any new release until CLoD is fixed.

How can I have faith in a new product if the old one was just, well....just bad and incomplete?

robtek
07-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Of course the "big patch" will be released asap, so the engine can be tested ad nauseum before the sequel is official announced, which didn't happen yet.

All this talking about the sequel is talking about unlaid eggs until the official announcement.

And rewarming the bad press from the beginning for the nth time is pathetic at least.

Icebear
07-18-2012, 08:28 PM
If so its too late. Who will seriously spend a single cent on a squel that base on Cliffs of Dover if Cliffs of dover won't work bugless ? But for me even this won't be enough. There is too much missing like e.g. a working multiplayer, a coop mode, a real dedicated server etc. etc. etc......

SiThSpAwN
07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Its apparent that they are working on the sequel at the same time as the patch(es), we have seen the sneak peaks, planes, drive-able tanks, etc... It wouldnt be far fetched to think that the final official patch (which who knows how close we are to anything like that) would be followed a short time later by a release date of the next game (and I would hope some sort of closed beta this time).

But who knows...

Force10
07-18-2012, 08:59 PM
so the engine can be tested ad nauseum before the sequel is official announced

The "nauseum" comes from us having to pay to be Alpha and Beta testers without our knowledge at the time

All this talking about the sequel is talking about unlaid eggs until the official announcement.

I guess maybe the devs shouldn't keep posting screenshots from it if it bothers robtek to talk about it?

skouras
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Of course the "big patch" will be released asap, so the engine can be tested ad nauseum before the sequel is official announced, which didn't happen yet.

And rewarming the bad press from the beginning for the nth time is pathetic at least.

agreed..

von Pilsner
07-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Patch first then official announcement of new game (the MMO).

I don't know if it is gonna work like the old IL2 series anymore, I would expect the MMO to be a completely separate game and not an expansion to CloD (using same engine, but I doubt it will integrate into CloD).

Once the MMO is out it will take all of MG's time to maintain that so I doubt we will get a stand-alone (non-MMO) BoM now...

This is all speculation, of course... :D

=CfC= Father Ted
07-18-2012, 09:34 PM
They absolutely have to have CloD working to a reasonable degree before releasing BoM. I'm not saying that just as a disgruntled customer either: their entire market must be aware of the problems with CloD, and none of them is going to buy a new game with the same engine without some sort of proof that it'll work. Therefore CloD must be seen to be working before BoM is released.

Codex
07-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Well its not official news but Phat mentioned in another thread the team has another "year or 2 of funding" so I'm tipping more smaller incremental patches rather than a big one. I wouldn't be surprised if we see CloD merged into BoM or vise-versa when BoM is ready.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
07-18-2012, 09:40 PM
I must say I am not overly happy with this MMO thing as I have fears that realism will suffer for the sake of playability owing to the word "massive" in the term "MMO".

I do not mind to have aa guns mountable or players driving tanks if that is what they desire but having a complex flight simulation in a MASSIVE MP environment seems quite futuristic knowing the problems we have right now in terms of MP performance. Of course once the hardware catches up with the requirements for a full realistic flight sim within an MMO I do not have an issue with this. Right now and in the next years it seems a bit unrealistic to me.

Codex
07-18-2012, 10:04 PM
I must say I am not overly happy with this MMO thing as I have fears that realism will suffer for the sake of playability owing to the word "massive" in the term "MMO".

I do not mind to have aa guns mountable or players driving tanks if that is what they desire but having a complex flight simulation in a MASSIVE MP environment seems quite futuristic knowing the problems we have right now in terms of MP performance. Of course once the hardware catches up with the requirements for a full realistic flight sim within an MMO I do not have an issue with this. Right now and in the next years it seems a bit unrealistic to me.

It shouldn't be that bad. World of Warcraft has been operating for years and I can't see why that system could not be adpated to handle a simulator like ours. I've never played WoW but my way of thinking on how to implimented it is to have all the simulation / realism side left to the client PCs to handle, and all the virtual world side of things, i.e. model position, pilot health, engine health all those stats, will be left to the 'cloud' servers to handle.

The only draw back you'll have is the lag, which is a problem that has been around ever since online gaming started. The only thing you can control is the specs of your PC and the ISP you use.

_YoYo_
07-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Very simply for me - no good patch before for CoD = no BOM on my discs after.

arthursmedley
07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
What exactly is this "big patch" that keeps getting mentioned? I'm intrigued.
What do people think is going to be in this "big patch"? Do people really think it'll all be solved by a mythical "big patch"?

So far, in the sixteen months since release, CLoD has repeatedly taken two steps forward and two steps back. Has anyone got any evidence at all of an all singing, all fixing patch coming along? We are at present testing another Alpha of the game engine remember? This re-write was giving, according to the devs, an at least fifty per cent performance increase!

I think we are kidding ourselves if we think CLoD's problems can be fixed by this team with one big patch. 'Gonna be a lot more patching, a lot more tearing out of the hair and a lot more angst on this forum before they get the game engine into a shape that makes the release of any sequel a viable proposition.

Feathered_IV
07-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Maybe a workable beta until release (as opposed to the sham-wow types we've been enjoying so far). They will still be changing plenty of stuff until then and I don't think they'd trouble themselves to put it on steam.

Chivas
07-19-2012, 12:45 AM
BOM and MMO are quite sometime off. There will be a number of patches for COD that will address the game engines ( AI, AI Commands, FM, and other game play issues). There will be no point in releasing any type of Sequel until the game engine is fixed. No one would buy it. The clock is ticking on getting the game engine fixed, the investors can't keep this up much longer.

Bewolf
07-19-2012, 06:15 AM
What exactly is this "big patch" that keeps getting mentioned? I'm intrigued.
What do people think is going to be in this "big patch"? Do people really think it'll all be solved by a mythical "big patch"?

So far, in the sixteen months since release, CLoD has repeatedly taken two steps forward and two steps back. Has anyone got any evidence at all of an all singing, all fixing patch coming along? We are at present testing another Alpha of the game engine remember? This re-write was giving, according to the devs, an at least fifty per cent performance increase!

I think we are kidding ourselves if we think CLoD's problems can be fixed by this team with one big patch. 'Gonna be a lot more patching, a lot more tearing out of the hair and a lot more angst on this forum before they get the game engine into a shape that makes the release of any sequel a viable proposition.

Agreed, though I would say its two steps forward, one step back. The game runs much better by now and a lot of things have been fixed already in the bigpicture.

Anyways, expecting the "magic" patch is a bit much. This will be done step by step with some greater and some smaller fixes.

If they fix the broken trees and actually make the coms work propperly, then there the basics we need are covered. Everything else will make the game even "better".

kevchenco
07-19-2012, 07:53 AM
If they fix the broken trees and actually make the coms work propperly, then there the basics we need are covered. Everything else will make the game even "better".

+1

I think if you visit this forum at least once a week there is no way you would not buy the sequel finished or not! - your hooked :grin:

I have wasted alot more money on fully finished games that were not half as good as COD!

Gourmand
07-19-2012, 08:15 AM
who is ready to pay for an extension if the bug and disabled feature is not fixed?
who trust the extension is free of bug and lack?

they must be 2 patch again, the fixed beta patch who focus optimization
and a other patch who fix the release known bug...

and after, i'm ready to buy for a new land and new plane.

pstyle
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
So do you think the 'BIG' patch for Clod will be released at the same time as BoM

Nobody around here has any freaking clue when/ if any of this will ever be released. It's all speculation and guesses, the next of which is just as good as the previous.

Bewolf
07-19-2012, 08:54 AM
who is ready to pay for an extension if the bug and disabled feature is not fixed?
who trust the extension is free of bug and lack?

they must be 2 patch again, the fixed beta patch who focus optimization
and a other patch who fix the release known bug...

and after, i'm ready to buy for a new land and new plane.

Actually, I doubt BoM will be Bug free. Better then CoD, yes, but a far shot from being a polished product.

And you know what? I will buy it anyways. As was the original IL2 series, it is a constant "Work in Progress".

Feathered_IV
07-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Actually, I doubt BoM will be Bug free. Better then CoD, yes, but a far shot from being a polished product.

And you know what? I will buy it anyways. As was the original IL2 series, it is a constant "Work in Progress".

I must admit the odds are on your side there. I have no doubt that we'll be waiting for a promised "release patch" well into BoM's first year and gnashing our teeth much as we are doing now.
That being said, I'll probably end up buying it too. I'd be long gone by now if I wasn't. Although this will be the first time I'll not purchase a Maddox Games product on day one of release.

CaptainDoggles
07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
If BOM is an MMO, or is subscription based, I am 100% not buying it.

Gourmand
07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
If BOM is an MMO, or is subscription based, I am 100% not buying it.

if bom is a http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/ -like in f2p with cash-shop
i'm 100% buying it ;)

Baron
07-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Problem is that "work in progress", adding new content, IMPROVING existing features, is not the same as fixing fundamental bugs and major issues. IMPROVING a feature implies the feature worked in the first place.

Right now, imo, CloD havent even got to the stage "work in progress". At least not by my own definition.

Yes, a few issues have been improved/fixed and yes iv been able to play it since the start but getting it to run (for at least 50% of the users) isnt suppose to be hard work and days/weeks of troubleshooting. For example, working out of the "box" for at least 95% of the users is, imo, a requirement before it can even be called "work in progress".

Bewolf
07-19-2012, 10:29 AM
I must admit the odds are on your side there. I have no doubt that we'll be waiting for a promised "release patch" well into BoM's first year and gnashing our teeth much as we are doing now.
That being said, I'll probably end up buying it too. I'd be long gone by now if I wasn't. Although this will be the first time I'll not purchase a Maddox Games product on day one of release.

Can't see the fault with the attitude. Me, I am a really impatient person and I want to have my own view on things, so I will buy BoM when it comes out.

Problem is that "work in progress", adding new content, IMPROVING existing features, is not the same as fixing fundamental bugs and major issues. IMPROVING a feature implies the feature worked in the first place.

Right now, imo, CloD havent even got to the stage "work in progress". At least not by my own definition.

Yes, a few issues have been improved/fixed and yes iv been able to play it since the start but getting it to run (for at least 50% of the users) isnt suppose to be hard work and days/weeks of troubleshooting. For example, working out of the "box" for at least 95% of the users is, imo, a requirement before it can even be called "work in progress".

I disagree. Now I speek solely for myself, but the game is working for me now. Yes, it takes quite some time to propperly set this game up. Having to preset ammo and bomb loadouts in the main menu for multiplayer or in the Mission Builder for single player missions is achoire, but doable. AI has been greatly improved, so has performance and stability.

But, with everything set up now it is as uncomplicated and easy to join missions as it was in the old IL2. I have not had a crash in weeks. FM and DM are still top notch.

I do have a lot of wishes for future improvements and fixes, but in general, this game is completly playable for me.

Something else to consider, often said but always worth a repition...CloD is a niche product within a niche product, there are no alternatives, the development team is really small for such an ambitious project and frankly, we won't ever see a "realistic" flight sim by one the of the big publishers. It is comparable to the ARMA series, which also used to be a niche, has a small eastern european development team and a history of failed launches and evil bugs making the game almost unplayable. Same with RoF when it came out, though that when never managed to really capture me, despite my former love affair with Red Baron 3D.

These games have in common that the dev teams lacked funding, they were released way too early and then relied on the loyality and patience of the community and the continued effort of the developers to get things fixed.

They also have in common that you have to tweak your life out to get some perfomance out of those softwares.

Again, speaking solely for myself here, but given I started out with the first 286 IMB PCs, back in the days I had to constantly tweak autoexec.bats, emm386.exes and config.sys files for each game seperately to get them to run. This conintues with later releases and games, the already mentioned ARMA series a prime example.

Seen in this light, I am not working myself up over this Simulation we have here. It's next gen, it has a fantastic Damage Modelling, Flight Modelling and Graphics engine. I get that "feel of flight" and immersion when I play it. It never even really bothered me that the Spit II was so uber at the beginning. For me, the basics are what is important for the time being.

In it's current state, I would have bought the Sim had it come out only recently and not complained much but the coms system. I think by now most people have an expectation problem, refined and exxegerated after nearly year of constant complains and percieved let downs, not so much an unplayable game problem.

Everything else is bonus. And there "will" be bonus as long the dev team keeps developing.

P.S. I played this series for over 10 years. Not a single other game or game series ever managed to capture me so consistently over such a long period of time. 1 year of trouble in between won't throw me off of that.

SEE
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Apart from optimising and getting the new GFX engine to perform as planned, the Netcode will also need to be improved - especially for MMO (if that is what is planned). I think it would be a mistake to release BOM without first ensuring that CloD is running and thoroughly tested regards GFX and MP performance.

TonyD
07-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Anyways, expecting the "magic" patch is a bit much. This will be done step by step with some greater and some smaller fixes.

To me this is the most logical scenario. Regarding the rumoured ‘big patch’ (don’t know where this one started), I think that we have already received it – the complete re-write of the graphics engine would qualify, wouldn’t it? Every update we’ve got has improved the game for me too, although usually with some caveat (like the current tree issue). I don’t fly on-line, although it seems that many do without too much trouble, but I am enjoying a custom campaign currently when time permits, and it works very well.

I would speculate that the next update will include some graphic bug fixes, and possibly an improvement to the comms. And things will continue in this fashion until it’s reached a stage where they would consider it ‘fixed’.

... I think by now most people have an expectation problem, refined and exxegerated after nearly year of constant complains and percieved let downs, not so much an unplayable game problem.

… this is probably more true than most would realise :) Although it’s probably also a case of that some can see the potential of it, and are frustrated by the apparent lack of implementation.

Royraiden
07-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I honestly dont have much hope on either the fixing of the current sim or the success of the upcoming one.I have played less than an hour in total since its released and all I did was test run to see the performance and I never got happy enough so I could do something else.I surely wont buy the new one at its release and dont know if I will buy at all.I really need to be really impressed to change my mind.Only time will tell.

CaptainDoggles
07-19-2012, 05:25 PM
like in f2p with cash-shop

Free To Play just means Pay To Win.

David Hayward
07-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Free To Play just means Pay To Win.

One of the most effective aircraft in Rise of Flight is free.

CaptainDoggles
07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
One of the most effective aircraft in Rise of Flight is free.

Can you buy upgrades for it?

Qpassa
07-19-2012, 06:17 PM
i wont buy another game to fix bugs

David Hayward
07-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Can you buy upgrades for it?

No. Weapons and equipment mods for the Spad 13 are also free.

PotNoodles
07-19-2012, 06:53 PM
I find it hard to believe this game is still been fixed after all this time and it still looks like it is nowhere near fixed. I will admit that I will buy the next game but only when this one is fixed. By fixed, I mean, no more Launcher exe crashes, tree Lods and clouds sorted out a.s.a.p.. After all we have been waiting long enough already.

CaptainDoggles
07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
No. Weapons and equipment mods for the Spad 13 are also free.

Sweet. I'll have to check that out.

David Hayward
07-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Sweet. I'll have to check that out.

The game is free. You get the Spad 13 and Albatross DVa and all their weapons and equipment mods for free. You can also fly online as a gunner even if you don't own any multi-crew aircraft. You have to pay for the remaining aircraft.

Allons!
07-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Judging from what we can see right now there will be no big patch and no sequel either imhho.

Feathered_IV
07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
The game is free. You get the Spad 13 and Albatross DVa and all their weapons and equipment mods for free. You can also fly online as a gunner even if you don't own any multi-crew aircraft. You have to pay for the remaining aircraft.

Not quite. The other aircraft are all free as AI and human opponents. You only need to purchase the cockpits of the ones you want flyable. ;)

taildraggernut
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Not quite. The other aircraft are all free as AI and human opponents. You only need to purchase the cockpits of the ones you want flyable. ;)

That's one of the things that bugs me the most about ROF, you are actually paying for the privilege of unlocking content already taking space on your hard drive.

Feathered_IV
07-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I heartily sympathise. I feel exactly the same about Steam and clod taking up an even bigger amount of space, and I can't pay them to fix it.

JG52Krupi
07-19-2012, 11:03 PM
I heartily sympathise. I feel exactly the same about Steam and clod taking up an even bigger amount of space, and I can't pay them to fix it.

That doesn't make any sense?

ACE-OF-ACES
07-19-2012, 11:55 PM
The only thing I know for sure is..

Those who claim they are not going to buy the sequal because of thier 1C experance with CoD will buy the sequal as soon as the majority of thier freinds buy it

Rjel
07-20-2012, 01:08 AM
The only thing I know for sure is..

Those who claim they are not going to buy the sequal because of thier 1C experance with CoD will buy the sequal as soon as the majority of thier freinds buy it

You really need to use a speel cheeker.