PDA

View Full Version : not even my GTX 670 can run CLoD acceptably?

Jatta Raso
07-11-2012, 04:50 AM
like i say in the title; today i made a sortie and got to intercept about 14 Do-17 up 14500ft high , climbing and checking 6, no one in sight, when i came up close to firing range i see white tracers and another Spit making an attack run to the Do-17 just on my left, by then the game was getting choppy, i go up as i pass my target, hear the 109 zoom, dive to finish of my target and see at least 2 more spits coming hot on the formation tail, i overshoot the target and as i zoom up i have a 109 on my 6, pull hard diving turn to evade and he doesn't latch, come up again on target and i'm going below 15 FPS, cannon shells dance all around me and the game is struggling to keep going, get severely shot up but i get to finish of the DO-17 on a last pass and as i loose guns from both wings, dive away from all the action and land at Lypne with both wings, let's say, a lot more ventilated, and almost no elevators, but safely.

the action in itself was fantastic, i was alone after a big wing of bombers (very high up making the action much more tense for me), then after the first Spit, when the fellow attackers and its pursuers appeared out of nowhere and i saw them when i was diving to re engage, it had that shine of the movies. but this kind of performance, it's unplayable.

no doubt clouds are no more a performance killer, but anyway, the game runs a mess. i previously had a GTX 570, but if even a GTX 670 (best in market) can't run this, well there's only one conclusion: after all these patches etc, the Graphics Engine of CLoD is in the state of an epic fail; it's a mess performance wise, plain as that.

i don't want to incite a flame war, just to notify, once again, the devs the state we're in; there's no excuse not to run it on top of the line hardware; and i'm still waiting...

Steuben
07-11-2012, 05:09 AM
I have these massive Framedrops too from time to time. But not always. But i still enjoy the ATAG server very much. To me it seems more a problem of the netcode (of course i could be wrong)

von Pilsner
07-11-2012, 05:22 AM
i don't want to incite a flame war, just to notify, once again, the devs the state we're in; there's no excuse not to run it on top of the line hardware; and i'm still waiting...

Is a Q6600 & 800MHz DDR2 actually top of the line hardware? Perhaps the bottleneck is not your video card.

Have you tried disabling hyperthreading?

Are you using SSAO and Original textures? they can be a fps killer!

You should post the mission so we can see how it does on our systems...

skarden
07-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah I think Von Pilsner is right Raso, my 580 runs COD quiet well, I think your ram and CPU are the limiting factor here.

BigC208
07-11-2012, 06:13 AM
I had a gtx570 with 1.5gb ram. Ran the program pretty good at high settings with an i2500k @4.3ghz and 8gb of ram. The original posters cpu is probably the culprit here. To be honest though, even with my new gtx680 the game slows down significantly. Into the low teens, when shooting at a bomber up close. It's been good for my gunnery results though. When I get close I only do short bursts. That way the frame rates stay up.

Fenice_1965
07-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Probably it is a combination of factors.
Clod takes more that 2gb Vram at 1920x1980.
More that 4gbs RAM and a good Cpu are needed to run complex situations.
Btw also il2 1946 can have slow downs in actual machines in particular situations.

adonys
07-11-2012, 07:07 AM
with that processor and that RAM you have, your video card can not be used more than 30%, most probably even less.

also, a 670 is NOT better than a 560Ti or 570. again, Nvidia's naming policy at its best.. :)

Querer
07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
with that processor and that RAM you have, your video card can not be used more than 30%, most probably even less.

also, a 670 is NOT better than a 560Ti or 570. again, Nvidia's naming policy at its best.. :)

First sentence correct, second sentence a joke. GTX670 not faster than a 560TI or 570? Are you kidding me? Read some reviews instead of posting such rubbish, unbelievable...

@TS: I had a Q9550@3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM and switched from a 560Ti to an GTX670 OC. Although it did increase the overall GPU Performance quiet a lot (BF3 from 40-50FPS to 55-60FPS with the same settings), only switching to a i5 3570K@4.0GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM led to a massive increase in Performance (BF3 from 55-60 to 70-100FPS). Still, as other mention, in CloD, FPS drops to 14-16 in the black death track when the bombs explode on the runway (without any beta patch installed). Otherwise I now get flawless 55FPS average and 150+ max in this track. So, its the CPU...

Jatta Raso
07-11-2012, 03:14 PM
yeah i know, the old 'bottleneck' issue, well experience has shown me not to fully believe that story, to say that in my case the GTX 670 is at its 30% max, is, without offense, nuts. i don't have these drop downs all the time, in fact with the GTX 570 it run very well most of the times in very high settings. but, as limited as the GTX 670 may be with an older CPU, that limit should show itself by not allowing upper top FPS, and not by going down to crap levels; don't tell me that a 6600 oced to 3.3 doesn't allow for minimum framerates no matter what the rest of the system is, 'cause that's rubbish; it may limit the best you can get, but by all means it gets its part done for decent performance, no matter how CPU demanding the game is;

the problem is in the code...

Jatta Raso
07-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Is a Q6600 & 800MHz DDR2 actually top of the line hardware? Perhaps the bottleneck is not your video card.

Have you tried disabling hyperthreading?

Are you using SSAO and Original textures? they can be a fps killer!

You should post the mission so we can see how it does on our systems...

not the CPU and DDR are not top of the line, i assure you they're pretty decent, i run other games and get all the performance i expect from the video board ;)

6600 does not do hyperthreading

everything on fullest but trees, 1 notch down, textures very high (actually i don't remember if i was testing them in original to check how much memory used in the video board), no SSAO, no AA (using SMAA)

it was on ATAG as i described

i'll add that i have no slowdowns whatsoever when attacking a bomber formation alone, the problems usually start to happen when other fighters appear, so there's not a cohesive logical pattern of hardware demand based on the number of AC alone

my install is correct; have reinstalled framework 4 and everything, defragged, told kaspersky to trust/ignore the App; i don't think you guys can do anything to help but thanks

Blackdog_kt
07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
i'll add that i have no slowdowns whatsoever when attacking a bomber formation alone, the problems usually start to happen when other fighters appear, so there's not a cohesive logical pattern of hardware demand based on the number of AC alone

If we're talking about AI bombers, the whole thing points to a netcode issue more than a graphics engine issue.

Jatta Raso
07-12-2012, 07:04 PM
well i had a fierce fight over Manston with about 5 Spits vs 5 109s, the battle raged on for about 10min plus, with a rain of AA clouds and tracers as we were fighting for the air dominance over the area; the blues really didn't wanna give up but in the end we gave them the run; i got between 12-5 FPS when i was facing the action.

as i can run much heavier missions off line, with the added work load of managing all the AIs and have good to great FPS on very high settings, i say this is definitely a net code issue!

Liz Lemon
07-29-2012, 01:06 AM
yeah i know, the old 'bottleneck' issue, well experience has shown me not to fully believe that story, to say that in my case the GTX 670 is at its 30% max, is, without offense, nuts. i don't have these drop downs all the time, in fact with the GTX 570 it run very well most of the times in very high settings. but, as limited as the GTX 670 may be with an older CPU, that limit should show itself by not allowing upper top FPS, and not by going down to crap levels; don't tell me that a 6600 oced to 3.3 doesn't allow for minimum framerates no matter what the rest of the system is, 'cause that's rubbish; it may limit the best you can get, but by all means it gets its part done for decent performance, no matter how CPU demanding the game is;

the problem is in the code...

If your GPU is running at 30% and you are getting stuttering, then it is probably a CPU bottleneck.

Try running the game at a very low resolution. If you still get poor fps and stuttering then the game is CPU bound.

I'd guess the netcode adds enough strain for the CPU to be a problem.

Otherwise check and see what settings your antivirus and firewalls are at since they could be causing problems while playing online.

FS~Phat
07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
You might need to turn some settings down..
I did a lot of testing over the last few days and the particle smoke and tracer effects are quite demanding even on my system with everything turned up to maximum with quite a few planes in close proximity.

My normal FPS is 70-90FPS over the channel and when I was doing some bomber intercept practice with 9 bombers my FPS would momentarily drop to 30FPS when lots of smoke or debris were around.

Until some of the code is further optimised your best to turn some effects down.
They dont dramatically change the gameplay or visuals down a notch.
Your CPU is definitely not up to the task for lots of complex models and damage so your only option is to turn down some features.

Igo kyu
07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Q6600 2.4GHz oc 3.3GHz / GTX 570 1280MB (Gainward) / Asus P5K-E / 8GB DDR2 800 / Corsair 850W
Windows 7 64bit / nvidia Driver: 304.48 beta
Samsung-24'' 1920-1080 / Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X

I'll pick your RAM as the problem. I think your CPU while not modern is probably not that bad, but they're not even putting RAM that slow in laptops these days.

Canine
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM

I'd put my Gigabyte GTX 670 OC up against a 560i any day.