PDA

View Full Version : A worrying thought!!!

Nitrous
07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I've been reading these forums for the past week and it's very worrying the amount of "FANBOYS" changing their tune and having a rant, and people that normally keep their opinions to themselves, joining in.

I hope this sim does not end up like the original LOCK-ON did by Eagle Dynamics, and we have to wait another 5 years from now before its fixed.

Please MG and 1C join hands with the rise of flight guys and lets get this game off the ground.

GOA_Potenz
07-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Joining with 777 studios guys is for me the only way to make this game to work, as RoF Open beta tester can say that their work is just exelent.

JG52Krupi
07-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Joining with 777 studios guys is for me the only way to make this game to work, as RoF Open beta tester can say that their work is just exelent.

When ROF came out I loved it but imho the current state of things are not great, I don't fancy having to pay for guns... so 777 no thanks!

Also ROF was buggy for a few years but ppl always seem to ignore that :rolleyes:

Skoshi Tiger
07-02-2012, 12:34 AM
I've been reading these forums for the past week and it's very worrying the amount of "FANBOYS" changing their tune and having a rant, and people that normally keep their opinions to themselves, joining in.

I hope this sim does not end up like the original LOCK-ON did by Eagle Dynamics, and we have to wait another 5 years from now before its fixed.

Please MG and 1C join hands with the rise of flight guys and lets get this game off the ground.

You thinks that's worrying????

I've had much more worrying thoughts than that! Though not about a computer game.

My last most worrying thoughts involved a miss-firing outboard motor and being three kilometres away from shore in the shark infested (white pointers mosly) waters off the South-West coast of Western Australia with no other boats in sight.

That was much more worrying than your thought. :(

Skoshi Tiger
07-02-2012, 12:35 AM
When ROF came out I loved it but imho the current state of things are not great, I don't fancy having to pay for guns... so 777 no thanks!

Also ROF was buggy for a few years but ppl always seem to ignore that :rolleyes:

I'ld pay for some sunglassess in COD if they helped at all! (Or were they standard issue to aircrew????)

Feathered_IV
07-02-2012, 01:07 AM
I don't fancy having to pay for guns... so 777 no thanks!

Just download the unlimited demo and fly that for free. You will get all the non-factory issue stuff that was added in the field for nowt with the two flyables. None of the extras are strictly necessary though and you loose absolutely nothing if you choose not to use them. ;)

5./JG27.Farber
07-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Just download the unlimited demo and fly that for free.

Ah yes the one I payed £30.00 for when the game first came out and was more buggy than a cockroach sandwich! :-P

Feathered_IV
07-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Ah yes the one I payed £30.00 for when the game first came out and was more buggy than a cockroach sandwich! :-P

Sorry, I didn't realise you had a hard copy. Just let it update itself and you will be good to go. Being able to tilt your Lewis gun up and shoot a two seater in the guts is something every flight simmer needs to do before they die! :grin:

Force10
07-02-2012, 02:44 AM
I've had much more worrying thoughts than that! Though not about a computer game.

(

LOL! Says the guy with over 1800 posts concerning COD.....Umm ok. It seems this "Computer Game" as you down play it, is more of factor in your life than your average simmer.

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 03:36 AM

But ROF works and CLOD dont. What about the current state of CLOD after a year do you want to talk about that?

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 03:40 AM

+1 agree

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 03:42 AM

Have you played it lately? and what about CLOD when that first came out? and what about CLOD a year later is that like a cockroach sandwich aswell then? you talk utter nonsence.

Skoshi Tiger
07-02-2012, 04:03 AM
LOL! Says the guy with over 1800 posts concerning COD.....Umm ok. It seems this "Computer Game" as you down play it, is more of factor in your life than your average simmer.

Woot! 1800!!!! Yea Babe!

Go check them out, Not a whine amongst them!

Enjoying COD since before release date and working towards a more friendly and inclusive community!

Yes even you!

:):):):):):):):)

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Woot! 1800!!!! Yea Babe!

Enjoying COD since before release date and working towards a more friendly and inclusive community!

Yes even you!

Grats Cool story bro.;)

zapatista
07-02-2012, 04:42 AM

what a load of baloney

RoF was probably the worst piece of junk ever released as a flightsim when it first came out (and i remember that well), glaringly unfinished with lots of bugs, no real content, and a lifeless drab and empty world to fly in, its canned flight models so poorly modeled it often resulting in some hilarious aircraft behavior to illustrate its glaring limitations (dogfighting with wingless flying aircraft anyone ?)

and even now that a few years later they have patched the main parts, added content (which you pay for), added aircraft (each one you paid for lol) they have hit the predictable brick wall that was always waiting for them around the corner, their canned artificial flight models cant improve and a game engine that would have to be completely rewritten from the ground up to make it anywhere more realistic. even right now in its current form RoF flight physics are not anywhere like the old il2 when it was first released.

in RoF there is no modeling of actual flight physics or any modeled interaction of object surfaces and air (ooo yes, plz show me that video again of air bubbles flowing over an aircraft, i am soooo impressed by your art work i completely ignore that is not how it realistically works in the sim to model aircraft flight behavior), damage models are cartoon'esque (try flying an aircraft straight into the ground from 2000 meters at max speed, and watch it partially crumble as if you just hit the ground at 20 km/hr and then the plane goes bouncy bouncy bouncy on the ground lol ( with a few scripted and predictable bit falling off the aircraft structure to impress gen Y who doesnt have a clue about what it really should look like in real life in a comparable incident )

using RoF as some kind of good example is laughable, and following its example would be the worst thing that could ever happen to the future of CoD, thankfully it will never happen.

funny thing is RoF was a much more incomplete sim (compared to CoD) when i was first released, and it took them years to get it anywhere near finished (while they fleased your pocket at every step) and yet the same people that come and complain here about CoD and then naively hold up RoF as a "good example" completely seem to ignore that

for the uninformed, ...... CoD was forced to be released 1 yr to early (all details available on this forum so you can educate yourselves), and it was either that or NOTHING. there is no 3e alternative where you can stomp your little feet on the ground and say "but i want it and i want it now". if you look at what CoD is 1 yr later (ie right now in june 2012) it is in an acceptable form for what would have been an initial release (and even then 6 months of the last year were wasted intrying to fix the old game engine, and 1/2 the time of the 2e half of that year their team already working on BoM at the same time so they have some hope of further income). when you look at CoD's current content, eg flight models, basic playability, game engine, complex engine management and advanced damage models, detailed aircraft models, and the additional large chunks of further content already prepared but not yet included (such as realistically changing weather with moving weather fronts, and control of vehicles etc,), it is a next gen game with incredible potential for further expansion and improved realism. CoD will be regularly patched to fix the main problems and add content, and it is building on a complex and advanced game engine that will only get more realistic and advanced (with further improved flightmodels) because that is what is was designed for in the first place.

none of that is possible in RoF, simply because none of that exists in sufficient complexity or realism under the hood, its essentially a glorified arcade game with canned flight models that has hit the wall of what can be further improved, and they made you pay for it every step along the way (the basic game is even given away for free now in an attempt to lure a last few more customers and then try and squeeze some further pennies out of them by making them buy game elements you as a player will need to be competitive online).

for CoD the only issue is whether the small team and limited finances at MG/1C can fix the current issues fast enough on such a large and complex undertaking, and if the imminent release of the sequel (late 2012 ?) will allow them to recover their reputation and high standing in the flightsim community before our (the customers) short attention span gets us to shift our allegiance to the next contender (like the p51 project from DCS)

Force10
07-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Woot! 1800!!!! Yea Babe!

Yes even you!

Does whining about people being unhappy with the game count? If it does, that makes up about 400 posts at least. Is attacking people that are unhappy with the sim worse than "whining"....I think so.

Flanker35M
07-02-2012, 05:08 AM
S!

While I agree with Zapatista on many points still one as a long time fan and player(since IL-2 beta)can not wonder how in heck can a dev team with 8 years of previous IL-2 experience before even starting CoD use 7 years creating a heap of buggy and glitchy software? And back then the team was the so called old one with more members, not this smaller and new one led by Luthier. But as said, the sim is being fixed so I remain hopeful :)

Feathered_IV
07-02-2012, 05:24 AM
S!

While I agree with Zapatista on many points still one as a long time fan and player(since IL-2 beta)can not wonder how in heck can a dev team with 8 years of previous IL-2 experience before even starting CoD use 7 years creating a heap of buggy and glitchy software? And back then the team was the so called old one with more members, not this smaller and new one led by Luthier. But as said, the sim is being fixed so I remain hopeful :)

I wonder if the people who originally wrote the code are gone, without leaving sufficient documentation. Now current staff are rewriting after giving up the earlier version as a lost cause.

I really don't know how MG could overstep their capabilities by such a wide margin.

jayrc
07-02-2012, 05:41 AM
I think there on the right track, didn't the guy just familiarize himself with the code last year? Remember this is a BETA patch and it's meant for testing, official patch should be way more polished but it's still going to take time to get features working. Original IL-2 went through alot of changes and things were added as hardware improved and code was optimized, I can play the game at 60fps with pretty good graphics on a mid range card, others have more success, looking forward to the future of the series.

Skoshi Tiger
07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Does whining about people being unhappy with the game count? If it does, that makes up about 400 posts at least. Is attacking people that are unhappy with the sim worse than "whining"....I think so.

Thats only a bees member above a post a day.

My posts are generally supportive, informative or relate an amusing annecdote.

If someone posts a negative view, I'll post one from a different perspective.

"Give credit where credit is due" is my motto. I haven't seen a WWII combat flight sim anywhere near as good as COD.

The only one thats close is the original IL2 series that's been modded to the hilt. I it doesn't look too bad, but the flight models are and ground detail is still IL2 and really out of date.

Have you played online in since Friday? With servers with 30+ players this game is fantastic!

Cheers!

senseispcc
07-02-2012, 06:39 AM
I did pay 50 Euros for the Deluwe version of the game until now I did play 500 hours and did enjoy it thus it cots me 10 cent of a Euro (0.15 usd) a hour realy not a lot and there are still working on the game for a future patch.
I am happy with wath I got and I shall get even if it is not perfect.
But is the world perfect? :rolleyes:

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 11:48 AM
what a load of baloney

RoF was probably the worst piece of junk ever released as a flightsim when it first came out (and i remember that well), glaringly unfinished with lots of bugs, no real content, and a lifeless drab and empty world to fly in, its canned flight models so poorly modeled it often resulting in some hilarious aircraft behavior to illustrate its glaring limitations (dogfighting with wingless flying aircraft anyone ?)

and even now that a few years later they have patched the main parts, added content (which you pay for), added aircraft (each one you paid for lol) they have hit the predictable brick wall that was always waiting for them around the corner, their canned artificial flight models cant improve and a game engine that would have to be completely rewritten from the ground up to make it anywhere more realistic. even right now in its current form RoF flight physics are not anywhere like the old il2 when it was first released.

in RoF there is no modeling of actual flight physics or any modeled interaction of object surfaces and air (ooo yes, plz show me that video again of air bubbles flowing over an aircraft, i am soooo impressed by your art work i completely ignore that is not how it realistically works in the sim to model aircraft flight behavior), damage models are cartoon'esque (try flying an aircraft straight into the ground from 2000 meters at max speed, and watch it partially crumble as if you just hit the ground at 20 km/hr and then the plane goes bouncy bouncy bouncy on the ground lol ( with a few scripted and predictable bit falling off the aircraft structure to impress gen Y who doesnt have a clue about what it really should look like in real life in a comparable incident )

using RoF as some kind of good example is laughable, and following its example would be the worst thing that could ever happen to the future of CoD, thankfully it will never happen.

funny thing is RoF was a much more incomplete sim (compared to CoD) when i was first released, and it took them years to get it anywhere near finished (while they fleased your pocket at every step) and yet the same people that come and complain here about CoD and then naively hold up RoF as a "good example" completely seem to ignore that

for the uninformed, ...... CoD was forced to be released 1 yr to early (all details available on this forum so you can educate yourselves), and it was either that or NOTHING. there is no 3e alternative where you can stomp your little feet on the ground and say "but i want it and i want it now". if you look at what CoD is 1 yr later (ie right now in june 2012) it is in an acceptable form for what would have been an initial release (and even then 6 months of the last year were wasted intrying to fix the old game engine, and 1/2 the time of the 2e half of that year their team already working on BoM at the same time so they have some hope of further income). when you look at CoD's current content, eg flight models, basic playability, game engine, complex engine management and advanced damage models, detailed aircraft models, and the additional large chunks of further content already prepared but not yet included (such as realistically changing weather with moving weather fronts, and control of vehicles etc,), it is a next gen game with incredible potential for further expansion and improved realism. CoD will be regularly patched to fix the main problems and add content, and it is building on a complex and advanced game engine that will only get more realistic and advanced (with further improved flightmodels) because that is what is was designed for in the first place.

none of that is possible in RoF, simply because none of that exists in sufficient complexity or realism under the hood, its essentially a glorified arcade game with canned flight models that has hit the wall of what can be further improved, and they made you pay for it every step along the way (the basic game is even given away for free now in an attempt to lure a last few more customers and then try and squeeze some further pennies out of them by making them buy game elements you as a player will need to be competitive online).

for CoD the only issue is whether the small team and limited finances at MG/1C can fix the current issues fast enough on such a large and complex undertaking, and if the imminent release of the sequel (late 2012 ?) will allow them to recover their reputation and high standing in the flightsim community before our (the customers) short attention span gets us to shift our allegiance to the next contender (like the p51 project from DCS)

So your saying ROF is total garbage?

Wolf_Rider
07-02-2012, 12:05 PM
"~ and then the plane goes bouncy, bouncy, bouncy on the ground" LMAO :-P

hint ;) if you want RoF, go play RoF

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Just like in CLOD were the plane goes bouncy bouncy though the trees lol

Continu0
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
So your saying ROF is total garbage?

No i think all he wanted to say is that Rise of Flight made it trough an similiar development process like CloD and has now reached its boarder... And that this boarder has lower limits than CloD...

Wolf_Rider
07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Slightly OT but relevant and (for those who insist - constructive)

The "forest" and flying through the trees... sure a collision box for the forest has proved to be intensive machine wise and for the most unworkable regarding AI(this is with regard to other sims as well.

wouldn't it be possible to have instead of one huge box, or trees individually drawn up as hitboxes, to have a series of slender vertical rods (as hitboxes) scattered throughout the forest at say 30m spacings to each other and to treetop height?

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
But there is a new channel map coming with sea planes so how has it reached its border it just keeps on getting better and better.

MadTommy
07-02-2012, 12:35 PM
what a load of baloney

What a load of ******.

I have owed RoF from release date, yes it had some bugs, but not nearly as bad as you make out. You are entitled to your opinion about RoF or DCS but don't get confused between your opinion and the facts.. as they are not the same.

MG could learn a hell of a lot from both 777 and Eagle Dynamics in every department of game development and management.

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
What a load of *****.

I have owed RoF from release date, yes it had some bugs, but not nearly as bad as you make out. You are entitled to your opinion about RoF or DCS but don't get confused between your opinion and the facts.. as they are not the same.

MG could learn a hell of a lot from both 777 and Eagle Dynamics in every department of game development and management.

+1

fruitbat
07-02-2012, 12:48 PM
What a load of bollocks.

Well thats an opinion too.

My opinion for what its worth is that I too have had it since day one, and for the first year and a half thought it was buggy as hell, so much so that i hardly played it.

It has however matured into a great game which i really like now.

JG52Uther
07-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Eddited a couple of posts, please keep the language civil.

Bewolf
07-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Got RoF back in the days when it was just released and could not play it due to perfomance Issues. Tried it 2 years later and ended up doing quite a few quick missions, but never got into the campaign.

Multiplayer was rather boring, did not help that my poor stock aircraft got outperformed by those pay to play aircraft everybody got into, so I lost interest here really fast.

Tried again another year later and got to know that in the meanwhile an "iron cross" edition was released, with lots of aircraft goodies. Graphics and the engine itself by now were really good and fluid, but I felt ripped off and never touched the game again. The news about all that micro transaction stuff did not much to improve here, either.

I'd rather they released some big scenario packs (like the channel map) with according maps and aircraft included for a retail price instread of all the stuff you have to get in singles. 15€ for a bomber is quite a bit of money which I would pay if the rest of the Sim was up for it...however, it isn't

Yes, the aircraft going vertical to the ground with just a bit of "puff" when making contact is indeed quite bothersome.

This from someone who played Red Baron and Red Baron 3D to death and once really looked forward to RoF.

JG52Uther
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Of course there is one rather large difference between RoF and CoD. The £30 or so I spent on CoD has been pretty good value for me. One day I am hoping 777 fix the FM's of the Albatros,DVII, CL2,Bristol etc etc, still waiting for some of them three years later...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/JG52Uther/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/JG52Uther/2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/JG52Uther/3.jpg

skouras
07-02-2012, 01:11 PM

agreed

5./JG27.Farber
07-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Does RoF even have anything happening on the ground yet? Last time I played it was just black lines for trenches with constant artilley barrages to mark the front. No tanks or infantry or anything going on at all just a few trains and AA pieces.

The thing with RoF is that theres no real performance data for the aircraft only pilot accounts, this is all good and well but really this is hearsay or folklore. Its a good indication but not a science. Plus the fact its pay for plane so as I see it they are making the game balanced in a way that means they can sell more planes.

Plus my original point that I paid out 30 quid only for them to just give it away 15(?) months later for free with out any kind of reward for the people that bought their broken project (just like many of you feel toward clod). Imagine if in a few months clod was free and you only had to buy expansions which really were just a plane bundle, maps and ground units and models? How would you feel? In fact the MG method is cheaper and better come to think of it.

RoF you buy 1 plane at a time but compare that to the cost of an expansion for clod, even if its 30 quid again, new maps, new flyables, new AI aircraft, new ground objects... Its quite a bargain if you compare it to RoF.

RoF is just not for me, 777 left a bad taste in my mouth when (as I see it they ripped me off). I am just not as interested in WW1 as I am WW2. WW1 just doesnt have the dynamics of WW2. Quite frankly I just dont trust 777 to be historically and realistically accurate.

Anyway its useless even talking about it. You cant just suggest two different companies merge and make what you expect. Stop living in a dream world.

As someone said before, even with all its faults, Cliffs of Dover is the only WW2 CFS around that offers as much as it does.

So bob or tree or who ever you are, thats it for this thread as far as Im concerned and if you just really dont like whats going on with clod then why are you even here? - I dont need an answer to this its a rhetorical question.

Peace and S!

philip.ed
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
for the uninformed, ...... CoD was forced to be released 1 yr to early (all details available on this forum so you can educate yourselves), and it was either that or NOTHING. there is no 3e alternative where you can stomp your little feet on the ground and say "but i want it and i want it now". if you look at what CoD is 1 yr later (ie right now in june 2012) it is in an acceptable form for what would have been an initial release

See it's comments like this which makes your whole argument flawed. CloD was released early, yes, but by one year? I'm sorry but there's no tangible evidence to prove this at all.
We all know it was rushed to hit the shops, but after 8 years I have no sympathy for the team. The community provided a lot of help and support and it still came out a mess. And after one year, unlike what you say, many features which worked originally don't (FM's are up and down, cloud shadows are gone, reflections gone, those lovely cockpits don't look the same, the lighting has worsened) so it's hardly the progress your hated RoF took. CloD is progressing at a ridiculously confusing rate. Whatever the reasons for it being a mess after 8 years are, it really isn't acceptable. The original videos were filmed at 1/8 speed! How can that be used to market the product?! It's completely unscrupulous.

I have full respect for the team (they have taken the communities views on board on numerous occasions) but whereas RoF shows forward moving improvement, CloD is one step back, two steps forwards, one step forwards, two steps back. And that's at the best of times.

It will take a miracle for it to turn into the best BoB sim within a year. I fired up BoB2 last week (which I can play happily) and the immersion was light-years ahead of CloD. And the AI still amazes me today.

CloD may be technically ahead of RoF, but if it can't play properly this lead is lamentable.

csThor
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
777 Studios do their own stuff and no amount of wishful thinking will bring on a merger. If anything 1C (the mother corporation of MG) could buy out Jason's company if they wanted, they're large enough after all. It's an undeniable fact that Maddox Games does things much differently than 777, lamentable or not (that's up to each person to decide for himself), but the steady "Why don't you give the code to 777" or "Why don't you join 777" is getting boring.

Besides, Jason does things on his own timetable. He doesn't have humorless suits who have no life beyond "shareholder value", "business bla bla" or "$$$ €€€" breathing down his neck. Simple as that ...

simast
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
"~ and then the plane goes bouncy, bouncy, bouncy on the ground" LMAO :-P
hint ;) if you want RoF, go play RoF

HINT: all WW1 aircraft is made of wood and canvas. Tho to be honest - I have no clue what the guy is talking about in the first place (never seen any crash that resulted in a such a horrible bouncing as described by him).

simast
07-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Besides, Jason does things on his own timetable. He doesn't have humorless suits who have no life beyond "shareholder value", "business bla bla" or "$$$ €€€" breathing down his neck. Simple as that ...

Exactly. He actually flew for 18 hours (!) online this weekend with the rest of the community. Imagine some suit from 1C (or even Luthier whatever from MG) doing anything like that. Yeah right :)

5./JG27.Farber
07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Exactly. He actually flew for 18 hours (!) online this weekend with the rest of the community. Imagine some suit from 1C (or even Luthier whatever from MG) doing anything like that. Yeah right :)

I dont want Luthier flying with me, I want him working on the sim. Jason obviously doesnt have much to do nowadays except enjoy himself - truley this is a symbol of decadance over at 777 and perhaps even a sign of decline? :rolleyes:

simast
07-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I dont want Luthier flying with me, I want him working on the sim. Jason obviously doesnt have much to do nowadays except enjoy himself - truley this is a symbol of decadance over at 777 and perhaps even a sign of decline? :rolleyes:

Luthier can't be working on the patch on the weekend and I doubt he does any graphics programming. More likely he simply doesn't care about CloD. He wants to get the sequel out, get some 1C suits happy. :rolleyes:

theOden
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I'd love to fly with Luthier.
I'm pretty sure he's a great guy and e-pilot also a bigger enthusiast then me.
No matter how much Dover fails (and honestly I think it will) I say kudos to him for trying, it's a team/corporate effort and there is only so much he can do as an individual.

JG52Krupi
07-02-2012, 03:31 PM

Are you telling me someone actually fell for that PR stunt lol... Dear oh dear!

simast
07-02-2012, 03:34 PM

Are you aware that the rest of the community wanted him to stream stuff on twitch.tv or do something like that to get more out of his 18h madness? And he didn't want anything like that. He just wanted to get some online fun. So no, I didn't fall for any PR stunt.

furbs
07-02-2012, 03:48 PM

PR stunt or not, what does it matter? shows he enjoys his own product and interacts with his customers.
Luthier never even posts anymore, who can blame him, i would be embarrassed too.

Light years apart in the PR department.

ATAG_Doc
07-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I can't fault the man for making an attempt to be successful. What you need is a product that people want and at a price they will pay. When they do and you have a bigger number left over after expenses that is profit.
http://i.imgur.com/uJmum.jpg

ATAG_MajorBorris
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Whoever thinks CoD needs to be saved by 777 or anybody else needs to wake up.

RoF was done, toast, capute but Jason Williams (777) was able to purchase the rights and turn it around through some clever marketing and hands on approach (nice job Jason).

Why was RoF almost done? A horribly buggy release that had forums filled with trolls trying everything they could to bring the sim down and they almost succeeded....No wait, they did succeed, essentially bankrupt and under attack from the very community it tried to serve(sound familiar), the original team sold Rise of Flight to 777.

Some even speculated that the attacks were coordinated and designed to fell the burgeoning sim and I am starting to wonder the same about some here in this very forum under the guise of daily constructive criticism as if they are helping us by saying the same thing over and over.

777s takeover was not an instant fix either as the sim still produced launcher crashes for all every 20 minutes or so for the first year and a half

Yet in between the bugs and crashes 777 rereleased RoF in what was called the Iron Cross Edition and in retrospect is now considered a good move.

I tire of people comparing CoD to sims released 3-10 years ago using these mature software comparisons to scare new pilots away from an already small CoD community with blanket statements that more often than not, tell more about their system configuration or limitations than about the experience as a ww2 cfs pilot in CoD.

The funny thing is some of the CoD bashers have very little (if any) flight time and many I have never seen flying the sim.

theOden
07-02-2012, 03:58 PM
The funny thing is some of the CoD bashers have very little (if any) flight time and many I have never seen flying the sim.

You're telling me you don't see the logic behind this?

furbs
07-02-2012, 04:26 PM

RoF was done, toast, capute but Jason Williams (777) was able to purchase the rights and turn it around through some clever marketing and hands on approach (nice job Jason).

Why was RoF almost done? A horribly buggy release that had forums filled with trolls trying everything they could to bring the sim down and they almost succeeded....No wait, they did succeed, essentially bankrupt and under attack from the very community it tried to serve(sound familiar), the original team sold Rise of Flight to 777.

Some even speculated that the attacks were coordinated and designed to fell the burgeoning sim and I am starting to wonder the same about some here in this very forum under the guise of daily constructive criticism as if they are helping us by saying the same thing over and over.

777s takeover was not an instant fix either as the sim still produced launcher crashes for all every 20 minutes or so for the first year and a half

Yet in between the bugs and crashes 777 rereleased RoF in what was called the Iron Cross Edition and in retrospect is now considered a good move.

I tire of people comparing CoD to sims released 3-10 years ago using these mature software comparisons to scare new pilots away from an already small CoD community with blanket statements that more often than not, tell more about their system configuration or limitations than about the experience as a ww2 cfs pilot in CoD.

I dont want 777 to take over, though in the future a ww2 by them would be very interesting.
My point is if you look at the last patch by both parties...

COD

A second beta patch released that is by all accounts still buggy and problematic, introduced new bugs, released without a readme or a word from Luthier, since then no feedback or help with the new bugs or any word on when they will be fixed.
Luthier has had no contact with his customers, no posts for a long time now and has practicality vanished.
His last post was on the 13th of April.

ROF

A very good patch which added more content, graphic improvements, a whole new weapon system and a very good readme, and no bugs.

Jason spends time answering posts and spends 18 hours flying his own product online with his customers.

As i said "light years apart".

JG52Krupi
07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
You're telling me you don't see the logic behind this?

I think you missed the point, ppl would rather moan than help find the bugs!

Personally speaking has COD pissed me off HELL YES do I want it fixed before they do another game DAMN RIGHT, do I constantly moan and whine about the game NO. Why you ask, well its because I am not a baby who feel like I need to throw my toys out of the pram to get attention... I try to see the big picture I try (stress on the try ;) ) to be mature, something which a lot of poster here seem to dispense with.

Now sometimes I feel like writing obvious facts about this game, this ludicrous childish forum and how the world works but when I see the like of Blackdog (who btw I have ton's of admiration for due to his eloquent, unbiased and precise point making) points out simple facts just to get them thrown in his face or ignored I wonder what the point is, some of you are so clearly bored of life that you will moan about anything and if COD does fail then I blame not only 1C, MG and Ubisoft but also the "community" (using the word loosely of course as this place is more like a cockfighting pit) so what is left, tell me who will make a ww2 flight sim of this level if MG goes under?

And don't tell me 777/ROF as I loved that game (just ask my fellow squad members) but over the past 1-2 years THEY have put me in a position that means out of principle I can no longer support there franchise, do I go and moan about it on there board well NO because I know it won't make a difference and it is a pity because that game had/has loads of potential just like this one could have if ppl would stop bashing and give it some time to mature.

I don't know why I even bother to post this as I know some fool is going to come along and break it down until the point is missed completely, but before you do that I should inform you I am not a il2 fanboy I am a ww2 flight simulator fan and it just so happens that currently MG is the only developer that is ticking the boxes that I want ticked and the way the gaming industry is currently going no one else is going to bother doing that, they would rather make the more mainstream games that you buy every year and what is your £50 a year getting you a few new models and new textures and the same old bugs well BRAVO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN CARRY ON AND WATCH FIGHT SIMS WITH ANY DEPTH GO THE WAY OF THE DODO!

MG are clearly trying to do right by this sim now either take a break from it or load up the beta patch and report bugs!!

klem
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
I'ld pay for some sunglassess in COD if they helped at all! (Or were they standard issue to aircrew????)

+1 on the sunglasses.

There a ought to be an option to 'put on' sunglasses even if they simply reduce the general light intensity, don't really need animation. The RAF pilots had flip-down glasses. I expect the LW wore cool aviator shades to maintain the image :)

Buchon
07-02-2012, 04:50 PM

In the marketing era where we live you can expect things like that every days, and as small is a niche more fierce the competition is.

If someone thinks that there no community-managers from the competence browsing this forum then is because he is very naive.

addman
07-02-2012, 04:53 PM
To everybody who thinks charging for extra content for flightsim is wrong/stupid, do you really think making a high fidelity stand alone combat flight game is financially viable these days? You do know why 1c have chosen the free-to-play path for the il-2 series right? It has to be PROFITABLE. Making games is not charity especially not when they are low-profile obscure combat flight games like Clod or RoF. You're living on planet 80's/90's if you think the current model of business 1c/MG have for il-2 is going to be successful. Kudos to 777 for charging for stuff they are creating to make a living, kudos to them and all other small indie studios who choose the same business model. They are not millionaires swimming around in money, they are trying to make a living on their hobby/passion.

Bob_Marley
07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
The fact that you can fly though trees breaks all the realism and makes me think wtf they went to all this trouble to make everything look nice but they didnt think to sort out the trees and it just kills low lvl dogfights for me. were my bandit didnt make it out from a dive and he clipped the tree isnt there like it is in ROF. And also like a bomber thats engine is out has to make an emergency landing in a random patch of clear ground were he might crash in to trees and could die isnt there. :(

philip.ed
07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
+1 on the sunglasses.

There a ought to be an option to 'put on' sunglasses even if they simply reduce the general light intensity, don't really need animation. The RAF pilots had flip-down glasses. I expect the LW wore cool aviator shades to maintain the image :)

Of all BoB pilots, perhaps a handful wore the RAF Mark IV series of goggles which introduced the flip-up/down sun visor. It broke off easily and compounded by the goggles' cumbersome nature made them unpopular.

No pilots flew in sunglasses. Few even used their goggles which, incidentally, were mostly made with celluloid lenses which 'burned beautifully' in the words of G. Page.

Jaws2002
07-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I think the biggest difference between ROF and CLOD is that when 777 team says is going to fix a certain aspect of the game, they'll do it and you'll never have to worry about that part of the game.
CLOD team keeps going around in circles fixing and bringing back the same bugs from patch to patch. This is the biggest problem I see with this game.

I don't think this team fully understands the code they work with. That's the only explanation i could think about.:(

JG52Krupi
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
I think the biggest difference between ROF and CLOD is that when 777 team says is going to fix a certain aspect of the game, they'll do it and you'll never have to worry about that part of the game.
CLOD team keeps going around in circles fixing and bringing back the same bugs from patch to patch. This is the biggest problem I see with this game.

I don't think this team fully understands the code they work with. That's the only explanation i could think about.:(

So the aircraft have realistic FM's now?

Not what I hear!

Jaws2002
07-02-2012, 06:25 PM
So the aircraft have realistic FM's now?

Not what I hear!

Some planes that were fixed are good. You have to think about one problem with ww1 aircraft FM's. It's not exactly easy to find good info about ww1 aircraft performance. I agree that they have to work in this area, but so does CLOD and we have much less planes and a lot more info available about Spits and 109's than some canvas and wood planes made by trial and error back in ww1.

5./JG27.Farber
07-02-2012, 06:35 PM

+1

Borris, like a U Boat in the night, I think you just sank their battleship. ;)

JG52Uther
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
And on that note...