PDA

View Full Version : If only we had a naval squadron Martlet

gimpy117
06-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Yep, thats right there, as far as I can tell Grumman Martlets I (AKA Wildcat) were in the Battle of Britain. I know I can pretty much only dream...but how sweet would it be if we somehow got this bird.

4 .50 cals anyone?

oh...sources

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/804_Naval_Air_Squadron

salmo
06-10-2012, 06:40 PM
The Battle of Britain is generally acknowledged to have occurred between summer and autumn of 1940. 804 Sqdn operated Gloster Sea Gladiators until October 1940, when they were re-equipped with Martlet I fighters. At that time the squadron operated out of RNAS Skaebrae in the Orkney Islands (northen Scotland). IMO there are other aircraft that could be added to the BOB scenario before the Marlet. eg. Fairly Battle, Gloster Gladiator, Westland Lysander , Heinkel He 59 C-2 (Air-Sea rescue).

ElAurens
06-10-2012, 11:01 PM
No chance, as it's a Grumman built bird.

I'm sure the terms of the original settlement with Northrop-Grumman that keep their aircraft out of IL2 will apply here as well.

I definitely want to see a flyable Gladiator though.

gimpy117
06-11-2012, 02:31 AM

I'm sure the terms of the original settlement with Northrop-Grumman that keep their aircraft out of IL2 will apply here as well.

3rd party mods as well?

schilla22
06-11-2012, 02:59 AM

Can you PM me the information on this?

ElAurens
06-11-2012, 03:17 AM
shilla22, to make a very long drawn out story short, large amounts of cash would have to change hands for any more Grumman aircraft in the IL2 series.

Just let it rest.

It's a dead horse and no sense beating it any more.

SlipBall
06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
I think someone who has the time to write to them, asking politely, for an explanation of their current policy on older intellectual property, 70+ years old tech ...it may have changed over the years
http://www.northropgrumman.com/ipm/contact_us.html

ElAurens
06-11-2012, 11:26 AM
You think a lawyer cares about a few "gamers" when $$$ is the motive for this?

Go ahead and try and see how far you get. And please post the form letter you get from N-G here would you?

SlipBall
06-11-2012, 12:19 PM
My point was a simple e-mail, would reveal if Grumman is still protecting their older intellectual property. They may not care about the use of such material in a game. Anyone interested in sending a e-mail, would probably get a fast reply.

Osprey
06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Why don't you send one Slip?

SlipBall
06-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Why don't you send one Slip?

ok

ElAurens
06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Cool.

:cool:

SlipBall
06-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Cool.

Maybe...its been 6 hours, no reply yet:confused:

bongodriver
06-11-2012, 07:36 PM

it's seems a bit harsh, am I mistaken or are there not NG aircraft modelled in things like world of planes? how did they calm the NG lawyers?

and what about the upcoming F-14 in DCS

http://warthunder.com/upload/image/1000x700/shot3-2011.12.jpg

Kodoss
06-11-2012, 07:37 PM
[sarcasm on]
No.
Their are just asking the lawyers to force a court decision to stop any Il2-fan from speaking, writing, reading, listening or even thinking the words "Northrop", "Grumman" or "Northrop-Grumman" and/or their products without paying a huge amount of money (min 100.000 $) for each of thouse words.
[sarcasm off]

@slip: would be nice to know what their answer to your question is.
I predict a 2-10 pages long one. :rolleyes:

ElAurens
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Bongodriver...

DCS makes real military simulators, and like the others, have paid the royalty to N-G for the use of the likeness of their aircraft.

SlipBall
06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I was hoping he would have stated they no longer care about the old prop planes. Plus would have been nice to read a fee structure about the licensing...I scrubbed out my name to deter any psycho among you:-P

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/reply1.jpg

ElAurens
06-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Just as I thought.

Pony up the cash and the Grumman birds and US Navy ships are OK to use.

I'm also betting the the "fee" is on a sliding scale. If you are a major publisher and are doing a console release it will be very very costly, if you are a minor publisher with a projection of smaller sales it will only be very costly.

And please don't think I'm gloating or happy about this. Far from it.

It's just that I live in "Realville" these days.

Thanks for the effort Slipball.

SlipBall
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Just as I thought.

Pony up the cash and the Grumman birds and US Navy ships are OK to use.

I'm also betting the the "fee" is on a sliding scale. If you are a major publisher and are doing a console release it will be very very costly, if you are a minor publisher with a projection of smaller sales it will only be very costly.

And please don't think I'm gloating or happy about this. Far from it.

It's just that I live in "Realville" these days.

Thanks for the effort Slipball.

Well if 1c ever did get the licensing, the extra money per copy I think most of us would not mind paying. With in reason that is, 5 or 10 bucks :grin:

_OD_
06-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Well if 1c ever did get the licensing, the extra money per copy I think most of us would not mind paying. With in reason that is, 5 or 10 bucks :grin:

As long as it was multiple aircraft I wouldn't mind...£5-£10 per aircraft and they can cram up their tail pipes... ;)

Tavingon
07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Fairey_Fulmar_Mk_I_%28M4062%29.jpg
Count me in for the fairey fulmar!