PDA

View Full Version : So how is this game?

Seafireliv
05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Steam is another issue, I know about it and don`t like it, so no need to go into it here.

However, I`m interested to hear what is the general consensus on the successor to IL2? is it the amazing game we all expected and waited for, for years? Is it worth dropping 1946 for?

I would like a truthful as possible appreciation of the game please. Thanks.

ATAG_Doc
05-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Save your soul while you can!!

Seafireliv
05-29-2012, 10:48 PM
12 views one response that tells me very little.

I`ll keep waiting.

ATAG_Snapper
05-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Cliffs of Dover hasn't gotten there yet. It's been out for just over a year, had several patches, plus currently an alpha patch that many of us are evaluating as I type this.

Obviously, I don't know you, nor do I know your expectations. You've chosen not to post your system specs -- fair enough, but it's an important consideration in that CoD is very demanding on a PC's resources.

I've flown many hundreds of hours online (according to Steam, anyway -- about 2 hrs/night) and certainly find it challenging, at times frustrating, sometimes hugely rewarding, and always fun. But you get back from it what you put into it. I could elaborate further, but there's no point.

If you are currently flying -- and enjoying -- 1946 then I would strongly recommend you stay with it for the foreseeable future. I honestly believe you will find CoD hugely disappointing in its current unfinished state (hence Doc's facetious, but wise, comment above). I sincerely believe that Cliffs of Dover will be THE WW2 combat flight sim to fly. We're still a long way from that point right now.

Snapper

ATAG_Dutch
05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
You don't say whether you're asking for online or offline play, but if offline and/or mission building is your bag, go for it with the last official version.

As long as your pc is up to snuff, it's a great flight sim with flaws.

If it's online play you're after, stick with '46 for now. Most of the current CloD servers are running the last Beta patch, which has quite frankly ruined it for me for a variety of reasons, mainly getting a slideshow with any more than one on one combat and reduced graphics quality. Then there are the huge FM questions in the patch covered adequately elsewhere.

That said, I've just re-installed '46 for a look, and simply can't go back either I'm afraid. :(

CWMV
05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Between IL2 46 DBW and this there is simply no comparison. DBW has more content, better FM's, stability, performance and ease of use that CoD simply does not have. For offline pilots particularly CoD is a waste if time in its current state. For airquake type stuff that goes on online though it seems to work just fine.
Simple answer is that 46 DBW works, CoD doesn't.

finchOU
06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I've just started playing the game....and i'm a 95% offline dude. The campaign is too short and not immersive at all. You get I think 5-6 missions in the 109 before being forced to switch a/c (where I'm at right now). basically the 5-6 missions cover the entire Campagine...which is just ludicrous if you have any concept of what WW2 flight sim campaign/carrer mode has been in the past. :confused: This Simulation is severly lacking in the offline componet. Remember Original IL-2 were campaigns were 40 or more missions? I certainly do....I guess my memory is better than the dude who made this sim.

But wait theres more.....

The Campaign would be at LEAST poor vice atrocious if it were for the fact that you get no cirtical info in the briefs leading up to the mission (at least on 100% realism). They tell you to rendzous with bombers...but dont give you a place time to do so.... and they dont fly overhead like in org. IL-2. Kind of hard to know where to go when they dont tell you that. one mission had me do a fighter sweep for some JU-87's...but the air feild they are attacking ...isnt even on map!?!? The missions have historical significance...but thats about it. You fail a mission ...and move on...even if you die!?! you can always replay them....which I did about 15 times on the first mission until I realized its pretty much scripted to fail to "teach you some history".

I"m new...have read a bit around...but have not looked into campaign MODs and the such that may be out there. So their might be hope...the mission builder looks pretty good, the overall graphics and damage model are great IMHO. The flight models need tweaking...but i'm no expert that area...i'm a pilot ..not and engineer.

Overall as an Offline player, besides the oohs and awhs of the graphics and options for customizing your crate, am very disapointed. I hear the British campaign is even worst....dont know if i can stomach wasting more of my time.

Seafireliv
06-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Well, I was a long time forumer on the UBi forums with Il2. played it longer than the war (6 years plus). Even did some art sketches for it. But it looks like everything has changed now.

Well I was looking more to play offline (no time to get dedicated Online anymore) and I have a mid range system. From my research the game seems to cause a lot of slowdown unless you have something like an I5 and lots of Ram. I have ram, but my system is an athlon 955 quadcore.

I also heard it is Steam only, something I am not happy to deal with. Are there any non-steam versions?

Ah, well nevermind. I waited a long time, but it seems it may not be what I`d hoped.

ATAG_MajorBorris
06-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Well, I was a long time forumer on the UBi forums with Il2. played it longer than the war (6 years plus). Even did some art sketches for it. But it looks like everything has changed now.

Well I was looking more to play offline (no time to get dedicated Online anymore) and I have a mid range system. From my research the game seems to cause a lot of slowdown unless you have something like an I5 and lots of Ram. I have ram, but my system is an athlon 955 quadcore.

I also heard it is Steam only, something I am not happy to deal with. Are there any non-steam versions?

Ah, well nevermind. I waited a long time, but it seems it may not be what I`d hoped.

If you are a fan of ww2 aviation and enjoy the cfs genre the $12 will be a wise investment providing entertainment at pennies an hour.

The current state of the sim will improve with further support from the developers.

By the time you start to notice the bugs the patch will have fixed many of them hopefully via an autopatch from steam(no more patch dance!).

For online play the ATAG pilots train and help folks out with the aircraft and system tweaks so if you join the CoD club be sure to visit ATAG TS3 or the ATAG Forum if you have any questions.

Single player just got a boost with German developer Desastesoft's new CoD add on.

http://www.desastersoft.com/en/product-wick-dundas.html

$12 CoD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L5SJ4Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d1_g63_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0ZXB262H68W3NRJN9DY2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

5./JG27.Farber
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Physics and engine management are way better than IL2 1946 and Graphics are better too. Be sure to use "original textures" - nothing else will do!

I would say buy it in the understanding that its the beggining of a long Journey and isnt as smooth and easy as a game 10 years in developement. ;)

Osprey
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I've just started playing the game....and i'm a 95% offline dude. The campaign is too short and not immersive at all. You get I think 5-6 missions in the 109 before being forced to switch a/c (where I'm at right now). basically the 5-6 missions cover the entire Campagine...which is just ludicrous if you have any concept of what WW2 flight sim campaign/carrer mode has been in the past. :confused: This Simulation is severly lacking in the offline componet. Remember Original IL-2 were campaigns were 40 or more missions? I certainly do....I guess my memory is better than the dude who made this sim.

The Campaign would be at LEAST poor vice atrocious if it were for the fact that you get no cirtical info in the briefs leading up to the mission (at least on 100% realism). They tell you to rendzous with bombers...but dont give you a place time to do so.... and they dont fly overhead like in org. IL-2. Kind of hard to know where to go when they dont tell you that. one mission had me do a fighter sweep for some JU-87's...but the air feild they are attacking ...isnt even on map!?!? The missions have historical significance...but thats about it. You fail a mission ...and move on...even if you die!?! you can always replay them....which I did about 15 times on the first mission until I realized its pretty much scripted to fail to "teach you some history".

I"m new...have read a bit around...but have not looked into campaign MODs and the such that may be out there. So their might be hope...the mission builder looks pretty good, the overall graphics and damage model are great IMHO. The flight models need tweaking...but i'm no expert that area...i'm a pilot ..not and engineer.

Overall as an Offline player, besides the oohs and awhs of the graphics and options for customizing your crate, am very disapointed. I hear the British campaign is even worst....dont know if i can stomach wasting more of my time.

There are a lot of home made campaigns, hunt about here and you'll find a link somewhere. I remember seeing a thread where they are all pooled.

bolox
06-26-2012, 11:53 AM

for user created campaigns look here
http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/component/jdownloads/viewcategory/4-offline-campaigns?Itemid=241

most campaigns made tend to be 20-30 missions long

RickRuski
06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
I have a Phenom 2 965 3.4 quad and 8gig ram and it runs fine with mainly high settings but there are micro pauses which need addressing. The biggest thing is graphics cards, you realy need something with at least 1.5 gig V/ram. I'm running 2x gts 450's 1gb in Sli and am happy with fps (40--60 over land).

335th_GRAthos
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
....I would like a truthful as possible appreciation of the game please. Thanks.

The game airplane graphics, ground object graphics, damage detail, damage model, underlying programming language that a (sophisticated) user can directly access and program, the "hidden potential" (= things that are not yet available to users) is mind blowing!

Now the "less good" news:
1. You need massive HW to make it run and enjoy the graphics. At least Quad-core CPU, Win7-64bit, 6-12Gb RAM (to make RAMDRIVE), and a ...graphics card!
The last one is a bit of a problem because the graphics card to play this game has not hit the market yet. The top of the range ATI & NV cards today do some good work but simply said, they are not there yet. Hopefully in September 2012 we will see the new top of the range NV GPU being able to handle the game but this is only speculation!

2. SLI does not "really" work. I does work but, you do not want it the way it does work...

3. "Three monitor view" does not work

4. AI control commands do not really work. This is the biggest turn off if you play offline

5. Enemy AI reactions leave a lot to be wished for

6. Some airplane flight models have some obscure performance variances from the historical "facts" and there is very litle transparency (there is no il2compare available)

7. Some bombers (HE111, JU88) have bugs in the handling of course-autopilot (JU88) or bombsight (HE111) and this makes level-bombing impractical.

8.-99. other minor things

100.-200. minor discussions on the quality of the fuel (see wikipedia for the word octanes) and the magical improvement it can bring to the performace of an airplane
[Athos runs for cover....]

~S~

Disclamer and small print: This is a personal view as requested by a fellow user and not a basis for discussion. So, if anybody has problems regarding ranking and priorities, sort it out among yourselves or look for answers in BlackSix's posts ;)

5./JG27.Farber
06-28-2012, 09:04 AM
I must have massive hardware then... :rolleyes:

ATAG_MajorBorris
06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I had a Nvidia Geforce 4600 ti that was released after il2.

It was considered one of the great graphics cards ever created and was top of the line.

It could not run il2 at respectable frame rates imho (30-40fps)...didnt stop me from loving the sim though.

My brand new $2000 pc(not including gpu) was in many ways rendered obsolete as well, it was a P4 1.8 512 memory ;)

Cliffs of Dover performance wise does run better on current hardware and maybe the patch will fix that but its more likely that the gpu to run CoD at MAX is not invented yet.

MegOhm
07-13-2012, 04:30 AM
If you are a 46 fan....HSFX 6.0!!!!!!!! ...You can't go wrong

II./JG1_Krupinski
08-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Roger that, if you are an IL-2 fanatic then this game will suit you as it's fundamentally the same game. But if you are looking for something new, more "realistic", then you are better off somewhere else.