PDA

View Full Version : FPS limiter in menu of CoD

_YoYo_
05-11-2012, 05:29 AM
So if it works and many people have adventage of this with less stuttering why not build in FPS limiter DIRECT in CoD menu option like in Rise of Flight? In RoF we have this option and You can setup 40, 50, 60 ect. limits.

Team of CoD - think about this! Its a simple tool!!!

von Pilsner
05-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Good idea. :D

Wolf_Rider
05-11-2012, 09:29 AM
The latest nVidia drivers work in conjuction with some card makers overclocker tool... EVGA's Precision X has a limiter contained within it. I believe (standing correction) the MSI version has it as well

_YoYo_
05-11-2012, 10:06 AM
But ATI hasnt this option. Better way to do this in option of menu of the game for me like in RoF.

Wolf_Rider
05-11-2012, 10:32 AM
ATI Tray Tools doesn't have some sort of Refresh Rate Lock?

(I haven't run an ATI for many years now, so my understandings there may be sketchy at best)

pupo162
05-11-2012, 02:55 PM
this seems like a good idea.

propose it on bugtrackers as feature yoyo

jamesdietz
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I seem to already be limited to between 4 to 20....sadly....

Toni74
05-11-2012, 03:18 PM
already we have a 60 fps limiter its called vsync.

jcenzano
05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
already we have a 60 fps limiter its called vsync.

welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you to read this post and reevaluate the tone of your first post.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=31871&highlight=bandicam

_YoYo_
05-11-2012, 04:09 PM
this seems like a good idea.

propose it on bugtrackers as feature yoyo

Good idea, will do.

Please vote it: http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/288

RickRuski
05-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Wolf Rider is correct, EVGA precision tool has a built in fps limiter. Free download from EVGA, works with all Nvidia based cards. For all those that haven't tried precision tool you don't know what you're missing.

Bokononist
05-11-2012, 09:30 PM
But ATI hasnt this option. Better way to do this in option of menu of the game for me like in RoF.

I believe you can use MSI Afterburner with ATI cards as well, I haven' t tried frame rate limiting with it yet, but I will.

d.burnette
05-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Wolf Rider is correct, EVGA precision tool has a built in fps limiter. Free download from EVGA, works with all Nvidia based cards. For all those that haven't tried precision tool you don't know what you're missing.

+1.
I have been using Precision by EVGA for quite some time, some features I really like:
1: Custom fan curves - I use a custom fan curve to control the fan speed on my card, keeps it cooler than the default and relatively quiet,
2: The monitoring - I have the added benefit of having a Logitech G19 keyboard with LCD display, so I can monitor what I want and have it displayed in the lcd display on my keyboard - what I usually monitor is temp, fan speed, vram usage, and framerates. You can also choose to monitor it on screen.
3: The aforementioned frame rate limiter, it works very well. They refer to it as "frame rate target", but it really is a limiter, the target you set is the limit of the fps.

SEE
05-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Reading this post I tried Nvidea's 'Adaptive Half Frame Rate' Vsync option (Driver 301.24 - Vsync disabled in CloD) and was very impressed with the results, especially in MP. Locked at 30fps and didn't budge - very smooth!

Good thread..........thanks guys.

SiThSpAwN
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Reading this post I tried Nvidea's 'Adaptive Half Frame Rate' Vsync option (Driver 301.24 - Vsync disabled in CloD) and was very impressed with the results, especially in MP. Locked at 30fps and didn't budge - very smooth!

Good thread..........thanks guys.

+1
I also tried this, and it locked it in at 30 fps and there was no pausing or jumping except with effects like smoke and fire with I think are still not optimized correctly.

Sternjaeger II
05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
sorry guys, but I am no expert and I don't understand what's the advantage of an FPS limiter.

LoBiSoMeM
05-14-2012, 02:48 PM
No need to FPS limiter anymore. The stutters now aren't so related with graphics. With particles system problems solved, the sim will run great!

SiThSpAwN
05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
sorry guys, but I am no expert and I don't understand what's the advantage of an FPS limiter.

The theory is that if you lessen the range that your FPS can jump you will have smoother game play, example I can range from 0 to 120 FPS at times in game, now if I limit to 30 FPS I would see less pausing or stuttering if some event happens to cause a jump in FPS.

Sternjaeger II
05-14-2012, 03:11 PM
The theory is that if you lessen the range that your FPS can jump you will have smoother game play, example I can range from 0 to 120 FPS at times in game, now if I limit to 30 FPS I would see less pausing or stuttering if some event happens to cause a jump in FPS.

aaah I see, stabilising the FPS would somehow increase performance, I suppose it makes sense, interesting! :)

SiThSpAwN
05-14-2012, 03:12 PM
aaah I see, stabilising the FPS would somehow increase performance, I suppose it makes sense, interesting! :)

You can argue whether its a really fix or it just fools your eye because the eye cant detect the smaller jumps, in my head it seems to help :) Try it out...

JG5_emil
05-14-2012, 03:39 PM
It's funny because Fraps will also limit frame rate when you are recording a movie.

I was playing around with it this morning and it seemed smoother when I was recording and the FPS was limited to 30.

I'll try the adaptive half frame rate thingie in NVIDIA settings

Sternjaeger II
05-14-2012, 03:48 PM
You can argue whether its a really fix or it just fools your eye because the eye cant detect the smaller jumps, in my head it seems to help :) Try it out...

defo will give it a shot. I'm more and more tempted into re-installing CoD and see how it behaves with the new patch.

SEE
05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
No need to FPS limiter anymore. The stutters now aren't so related with graphics. With particles system problems solved, the sim will run great!

I would like to agree with that but my fps were jumping wildly with huge differentials and the overall effect was more 'stutters'.

Once again, as with all ideas for improved play, they won't always suit everyone but worth trying if you think it may help - it worked for me and just wanted to say thanks for the thread and info in it.

A blanket "no need for' may not be apropriate for every one.

SiThSpAwN
05-14-2012, 03:53 PM
It's funny because Fraps will also limit frame rate when you are recording a movie.

I was playing around with it this morning and it seemed smoother when I was recording and the FPS was limited to 30.

I'll try the adaptive half frame rate thingie in NVIDIA settings

And of course that is why Fraps gives you the option to clamp the FPS, it provides smoother playback than if your FPS are jumping all willy nilly :)

Blackdog_kt
05-14-2012, 07:23 PM
I think a built-in FPS limiter would be a nice addition.

The way i think about it, it would not simply maintain steady FPS but if it was at the game engine level, it would also provide some "wiggle room" for the GPU.

For example, say you are looking at the sea over your wing and you are getting 60 FPS because the card can push it. Then you look over the over wing and it momentarily drops to 30 because a town is loading.

Then the GPU gives everything it's got to make that town run at the highest possible FPS again and you get 50.

However, you get bounced and dive for the deck towards the town, hoping the bandit will lose you in the ground clutter. As you pick up speed and rapidly close with the ground and buildings, the GPU is already working full time to give you as much FPS it can but since you are closing in, now the nearby forest at the edge of town also has to be rendered.

But... your GPU is already working full time to give unlimited FPS for the town. New textures load, more processing goes into the GPU and the FPS is back to 30 again-->stutter.

Whereas, if the GPU knew it would only have to maintain 30FPS while diving towards that town, it would have processing power for 20 extra FPS free to render the forest too. Sure, the GPU is not working to its maximum this way, but you never drop below 30 because you got processing power to spare.

FSX was notorious for erratic FPS, especially around after-market ground scenery and airports, and their community has used FPS limiters for years. In fact, FSX also had a built-in feature itself.

JG5_emil
05-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Anyone tried it with Trees on? I wonder if it helps cure the microstutter?

JG5_emil
05-15-2012, 06:53 AM
I tried the adaptive VSINC and it made no difference to the micro stutter caused by trees.

SEE
05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't think this alpha is optimised for trees so I disabled them.

Also, were you using the 'Adaptive at Half Refresh Rate' option JG5-emil and were your FPS holding at a steady 30?

adonys
05-15-2012, 11:58 AM
I've always played with all option activated on high, without microstutters.

The same for the latest betapatch + fix.

JG5_emil
05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Also, were you using the 'Adaptive at Half Refresh Rate' option JG5-emil and were your FPS holding at a steady 30?

Yes and yes

JG52Uther
05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Will try the beta drivers, my FPS jump all over the place!