PDA

View Full Version : Massive increase in performance. From 25 to 60 fps

jt_medina
05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Just renamed the intro video at \\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\parts\core\GUI\Logo.wmv

I haven't been able to play IL2 CLOD almost since it was released but finally I am getting high FPS. I haven't tried the black death mission but in campaign and quick missions with 15 planes in the air. I get 60fps when flying over the channel and on land near the coast I get between 45-55.

Simply amazing, compared to the framerate I used to get before.

These are the hardware specs:

QuadCore 2 2.50
4GB DDR2
ATI 5770 1GB

Clod graphics settings. It's not maxed out but effects, textures and plane models are set to high.
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8601/il2cod.jpg

ATI catalyst settings
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2446/aticonfi.jpg

Latest beta patch is installed.

Flanker35M
05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
S!

The logo.vmw is know to cause problems to AMD cards(GPU clocks not going full) and renaming it has been a way to get the game smooth.

Kankkis
05-09-2012, 05:55 PM
This same bug is from launch and they not even fix that, all players doesen't read forums so well :grin:

jt_medina
05-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I haven't read these forums for months!. :-)
Sorry if it has already been posted. I just thought it'd be worth sharing it.

Kankkis
05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I haven't read these forums for months!. :-)
Sorry if it has already been posted. I just thought it'd be worth sharing it.

Bugs like that is good to bump up time to time again, because it's good cure for ATI owners(5000 series i think) ATI cards stay at 2d speeds after that intro. So lame that is not fixed yet.

SG1_Lud
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
+1

In fact I am surprised and just realized no one ever reported it in the Bugtracker, gonna do it now. :D

PLebre
05-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Just renamed the intro video at \\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\parts\core\GUI\Logo.wmv

I haven't been able to play IL2 CLOD almost since it was released but finally I am getting high FPS. I haven't tried the black death mission but in campaign and quick missions with 15 planes in the air. I get 60fps when flying over the channel and on land near the coast I get between 45-55.

QuadCore 2 2.50
4GB DDR2
ATI 5770 1GB

Clod graphics settings. It's not maxed out but effects, textures and plane models are set to high.

ATI catalyst settings

That's funny. I have very similar PC config (windows 7), game graphics setting and ATI settings.
Never had that Logo.wmv on my COD folders, because I have buy the Russian digital version, and had similar FPS before the last patch.

After the patch have massive stuttening/freezes and the black with a red square screen on the game launching.

So can you confirm?

Are you on the international version of the game?

Anyone with the black with a red square screen, have the Russian versions aswell?

Developers, any word about the black with a red square screen?

addman
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Bugs like that is good to bump up time to time again, because it's good cure for ATI owners(5000 series i think) ATI cards stay at 2d speeds after that intro. So lame that is not fixed yet.

Yeah, it's not even funny. It's been reported on the forum forever but still the devs have done nothing about it, should be a pretty simple fix shouldn't it? Yes, we can easily change this ourselves but what about the newcomer to the sim that haven't heard of this forum but even if they did they wouldn't know what was causing the underclocking of their graphic card. It's yet another proof that the devs knows nothing and does nothing for the game. LOL! Russian quality service at it's best.:-P

jt_medina
05-09-2012, 07:00 PM
That's funny. I have very similar PC config (windows 7), game graphics setting and ATI settings.
Never had that Logo.wmv on my COD folders, because I have buy the Russian digital version, and had similar FPS before the last patch.

After the patch have massive stuttening/freezes and the black with a red square screen on the game launching.

So can you confirm?

Are you on the international version of the game?

Anyone with the black with a red square screen, have the Russian versions aswell?

Developers, any word about the black with a red square screen?

I have the English version bought at steam. That red square screen you are talking about, I have it too when launching the game but no CTD or less performance due to that.

To be honest I could never have imagined that the intro video could slow down my graphic card. So far I am really surprised because I get almost no stuttering at all and frame rates are more than playable.

I have to test it in multiplayer.

Kankkis
05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah i think its true, of course no ubi logo in russian version, only at international version, maybe Luthier doesen't seen that bug talking here, of course there is no talk about it on Sukhoi forums because no that ubilogo bug at all :)

First Ubi's epilepsyfilterFiasco and then that, LOL.

Siko
05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks for bringing this one up again, I have broadly similar specs to you and have been almost unable to run cod. I tried the new patch and it made a small but positive difference, but with this aswell I can almost max out my settings!

Low level is problematical still but still vastly better than before, the only problem is the ctds. I am now getting a lot where I had none before.

Not sure which I prefer tbh: a broken game that chugged along, almost totally unplayable, or a semi-fixed game that crashes every 10mins!

GothicGhost
05-10-2012, 12:21 AM
This tweak must of been what gave me a big fps boost as well :)

I did this this tweak when I updated my ati drivers to 12.4 and I thought the update gave me the boost :)

Nice to know if i did a reinstall thanks :D

scottnmegs
05-10-2012, 03:36 AM
This is a great little find, just applied said fix and my FPS went from around 25-30 to something around 50-80. Has made an unreal difference.

I must be one of the lucky ones as I have never experienced CTD bug at all, game is good to play in general. Biggest let down is the AI!!

PC
I5 750 2.66ghz 3.2ghz boost
12gb ddr3 ram
ATI hd 5850 1gb vram
win 7 64

I thought my pc was ageing, however I could play nearly all other games on max settings DCS a10 for one. Never occured to me that because of the intro my gfx may have been on idle speed of 300mhz compared to full throttle speed of 760mhz.

One happy camper:-)

Stublerone
05-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Did it really have influence on the real gameplay? I just thought, that the video intro just caused problem in the fps of replays!?! But when I am thinking about it, it should also effect the game itself logically.

That is a known bug, where the video card do not speed up, because it thinks, that the whole game is a video/movie. So some ati cards just speed up to a "movie watching preset clock"!

First thing, that I nnoticed with my new hd7970 was, that it just speeds up from desktop or 2D mode to something around 500 MHz core clock,, although this card is normally running above 1 GHz.

I found out with msi afterburner and its ingame overlay.

It is good, that u mentioned it again for all new guys. The topic is "not good" and I initially wanted to suggest to close another senseless thread next to others, where people already complaining. So, there is no need for a personal complaing thread. Perhaps someone close this and put this tipp into a more suitable thread. - Your decision

DroopSnoot
05-10-2012, 07:37 AM

It stays in 2d mode because we still dont have proper full screen, fly then press escape key, if you see your desktop then its not in fullscreen. Fullscreen forces 3d mode, to see your desktop (2d) flashing at you means that its flicking between 2d and 3d lots and that its REAL unhealthy for your GPU.

MBF
05-10-2012, 07:46 AM
It stays in 2d mode because we still dont have proper full screen, fly then press escape key, if you see your desktop then its not in fullscreen. Fullscreen forces 3d mode, to see your desktop (2d) flashing at you means that its flicking between 2d and 3d lots and that its REAL unhealthy for your GPU.

Really? Why?

Flanker35M
05-10-2012, 08:26 AM
S!

I recall the UDV feature in AMD cards locked clocks to 300MHz or so as above that UDV does not work properly. And this is for video things. Basically it could be that the video makes the card run at 300MHz but for some reason does not recognize the 3D mode coming after that. So disabling the intro movie helps you to keep full clocks.

Another trick to make clocks go up(tested ages ago with 6970HD) was to overclock your card for example with a mere 5MHz and it ran full speed. Sometimes had this phenomenon that card was running at arounf half MHz in game. OC helped with this.

I do not think we have a real full screen yet. In other games I do not have this where the desktop flashes upon starting a game, in CoD I can see the start menu button etc. briefly when the game loads.

But anyways tips for better performance with AMD cards: disable Intro.vmw and OC your card just a little bit. At least the intor thingy will help.

Kankkis
05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
And i see Skype blinking right lower corner when someone is coming online when flying, so i think there is some problems in fullscreenmode.

Kankkis

SQB
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
To fix the red square loading icon, run the game in pseudo mode. This will also make switching from game to menu (in multiplayer for example) much, much faster. Particularly if you have a slower CPU.

Oldschool61
05-10-2012, 01:32 PM

QuadCore 2 2.50
4GB DDR2
ATI 5770 1GB

ATI catalyst settings

I have seen a decent increase in fps as well, however the fps still tanks down to 10 or under sometimes when flying low with other planes around, like a slide show.

athlon x4 3.2ghz
Gigabyte HD6850 OC to HD6870 speeds
4 gigs ram
Win7 64

PLebre
05-10-2012, 01:58 PM
To fix the red square loading icon, run the game in pseudo mode. This will also make switching from game to menu (in multiplayer for example) much, much faster. Particularly if you have a slower CPU.

Pseudo mode?
Can you give instructions how to do this?

JG52Uther
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Its in the settings screen.

jt_medina
05-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I have seen a decent increase in fps as well, however the fps still tanks down to 10 or under sometimes when flying low with other planes around, like a slide show.

athlon x4 3.2ghz
Gigabyte HD6850 OC to HD6870 speeds
4 gigs ram
Win7 64

I get stuttering as well when flying very low and in some areas of the map, when there is too many buildings.
But most of the time, incredibly I get very decent framerates. I really hope they fix the stuttering because it's a real problem.

By the way. Does anyone know if an i5 2500k helps to get better frame rate?.

Flanker35M
05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
S!

Medina, I use a i5 2500K and it is a very solid CPU, overclocks well too if you are into that thing. Can recommend it from my experience.

Oldschool61
05-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I get stuttering as well when flying very low and in some areas of the map, when there is too many buildings.
But most of the time, incredibly I get very decent framerates. I really hope they fix the stuttering because it's a real problem.

By the way. Does anyone know if an i5 2500k helps to get better frame rate?.

Mine can be real good down low as long as ther are no other planes nearby. something about other planes down low are framerate killers.

PLebre
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Ok, I've made one more try.

Please keep in mind that before the last patch, I had 40-50 FPS, and almost no stuttening (full screen = ON).
All test made on the second quick mission, (that one flying the Hurricane, over the Cliffs).

Now after the pacth:

Full screen = ON, massive stuttening.
Full screen = pseudo, less stuttening than option set to ON.
Full screen = OFF, almost no stuttening.

Made track of my quad CPU core.

IL2-COD - about 25% all cores, (when Alt-tab to desktop, almost no drop).

rFactor - about 45% all cores (when Alt-tab to desktop, drop to 10%).

Project CARS - about 75% all cores (when Alt-tab to desktop, less than 10%)

IL2 1946 -very similar to COD.

ROF - I'll test soon.

Arma 2 - I'll test soon.

Conclusion:

I am afraid to say that the actual COD problem are mostly the same from the beginning, full screen mode not working properly, graphical options menu incomplet or not working properly.

Something made me think that we are dealing with an old game code, and bugged at the moment.

Again, I think COD it's a geat WWII Sim, very immersive, so hope that the developers can sort out the difficulties, ASP.

Regards,