PDA

View Full Version : ground lag stuttering(beta patch)

pupo162
05-08-2012, 08:21 PM
So, m havign this huge issue with my current installation of alpha/beta patch.

i have 70+ fps over England (60 with vsync) yet, dispite my fps i see the ground lagging and stuttering. which is strange because my bullets and pother plaens move fluidly over this stutering land.

so picture a stable fps and the game moving at 60+fps, but the ground only moving itself at 15-20 fps?

to reproduce this issue, fly over england at 500 meters max, and look down to the ground, the easiest view is looking at the trailing edge near the cockpit (low5/7 o clock) zoomed in, and watch stuff passing below you stutering.

settings:
maxed out graphics.
7870 i5 2500k 8gb ddr3

tried to play around with settings, specially vsinc ssao and AA. no joy.

Ailantd
05-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Are you sure that when you look the ground you still remain at 60 fps ?
I get 60 when looking up, but about 20 when looking down... that´s "normal".

pupo162
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
no. i set the fps counter, when i want to do the test. and the minimum sticks to 50 or so.

also this is constant, not a happens once in a while.

justme262
05-09-2012, 05:50 AM
I get 40-45 with looking down like that. The beta patch has improved the stuttering quite a bit. I imagine this will be a big problem with the Battle of Moscow flying an IL2. Maybe the snow instead of grass will improve the stuttering.

Ailantd
I see you have a similar pc to me except you have a better graphics card .But I am getting twice the fps as you!
What resolution are you running? do you use ingame AA or FXAA?
Are you against lowering your res to 1360x turning off ingame AA and using FXAA?
Cause you may be able to double your fps

SQB
05-09-2012, 06:17 AM
no. i set the fps counter, when i want to do the test. and the minimum sticks to 50 or so.

also this is constant, not a happens once in a while.

Will test now.

Didn't get a problem, can you confirm this happens both in and out of cockpit?

mazex
05-09-2012, 07:17 AM
I have had a similar feeling but have to test it more. It sounds like what happens when you do multithreading that many seems to think is an easy task... The landscape object handling /texture loading etc is on it's own thread now (?) that does not run in sync with the main render thread? If you sync every frame the whole game will stutter so when the landscape thread cant keep up this is what could happen? The main render thread "pumps on" but the "landscape" is not able to keep up?

Just guessing...

Buchon
05-09-2012, 08:05 AM
You mean Intel Hyper Threading ?

Yep, can be a problem, Hyper Threaded cores are not a physical core so they are slowest than a physical one (in short).

But my guess in all this is that its the know issue of the grass and trees code not being optimized yet :

Known Issues

• Not fully optimized: grass, clouds, and trees. Clouds cause constant FPS drop; grass and trees cause hick-ups. A few extra days of work for this, a few days for grass, few days for clouds, we felt that we could start open testing the patch without waiting for these changes.

The patch in his current state brings smooth play in high and medium altitude, but there still hick-ups at low altitude due to the not fully optimized grass and trees yet.

Wolf_Rider
05-09-2012, 09:33 AM
to reproduce this issue, fly over england at 500 meters max, and look down

settings:
maxed out graphics.
7870 i5 2500k 8gb ddr3

Try it at a higher altitude... say 1,000m and see if the stuttering still occurs

what is your video card?

and MAX SETTINGS ? well, best of luck for anyone there. One of the all times greats of frame rate killing is trees (running lots of them), every sim has suffered from it

pupo162
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
@wolf_rider

my gpu is in your qoute of mine lol. 7870

the higher i get hte less noticeble the bug is. from 1000 meters up, its not noticible.

@Buchon, no not talkign about hyperthreading

@mazex, thats an hell of a theory, could be just that, its the onyl way to explain this behaviour!

Wolf_Rider
05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
@wolf_rider

my gpu is in your qoute of mine lol. 7870

the higher i get hte less noticeble the bug is. from 1000 meters up, its not noticible.

my confusion there if I missed your card, thanks though for pointing it out.. and if the stuttering disappears at a higher altitude, that is exactly what was going on pre Alpha patch.

pupo162
05-09-2012, 09:55 AM
i think you are missing the point of what im describing

im not getting general stutter.

picture this, my plane is moving softely over the ground, tracers move without any kind of issues, somooth as silk a 60 fps game. but the ground jsut doenst keep up, the groudn itself feels like its refreshing every 0,5 seconds, with small stutering like a 20 fps game. yet the game is still running at 60 fps.

i never had this before the alfa. before the alfa i had smooth as silk everithing at about 40 fps.

now i have th 50% increase, but with this strange effect.

Wolf_Rider
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM

picture this, my plane is moving softely over the ground, tracers move without any kind of issues, somooth as silk a 60 fps game. but the ground jsut doenst keep up, the groudn itself feels like its refreshing every 0,5 seconds, with small stutering like a 20 fps game. yet the game is still running at 60 fps.

that's what was happening... what monitor/s are you running?

i never had this before the alfa. before the alfa i had smooth as silk everithing at about 40 fps.

what was your secret??

wow, what is your secret??

Buchon
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM

What is moved to a separate CPU core is the land geometry generator, the texture handling is done in the GPU by the texture manager.

I have this issue too and its not the CPU trust me, what you are describing is the Hick-Ups that BlackSix listed as known issue.

I´ll not worry by this with that card, I think it will be fixed once the grass and trees optimization is done.

pupo162
05-09-2012, 10:12 AM
that's what was happening... what monitor/s are you running?

- single 1440x900 60hz, again. i DINDT have this issue before

what was your secret??

-none. at the end of the day this game is/was broken, but with enough power will run.

for the 50% gain, dispite everithing some people are seing a performance increase.

mine were

channel:
80 to 120 fps

france
60- 80 fps

england

30/40 - 50/60

london

25 - 40

no more stuttering from dust, smoke etc. overall, performance wise my game is currently top notch, except for this issue, and an issue with calais. (for some reason i get 20 fps in calais)

a

PotNoodles
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
You mean Intel Hyper Threading ?

Yep, can be a problem, Hyper Threaded cores are not a physical core so they are slowest than a physical one (in short).

But my guess in all this is that its the know issue of the grass and trees code not being optimized yet :

The patch in his current state brings smooth play in high and medium altitude, but there still hick-ups at low altitude due to the not fully optimized grass and trees yet.

This is what I am holding out for! I am praying that once the grass, trees and clouds are optimized then we will have a game. The only thing that worries me is if it is only going to be a matter of days to fix these things like BS stated, then why did they release the pach? Why not just wait if they will bring vast improvements to the FPS?

pupo162
05-09-2012, 10:14 AM
What is moved to a separate CPU core is the land geometry generator, the texture handling is done in the GPU by the texture manager.

I have this issue too and its not the CPU trust me, what you are describing is the Hick-Ups that BlackSix listed as known issue.

I´ll not worry by this with that card, I think it will be fixed once the grass and trees optimization is done.

"grass and trees cause hick-ups. "

indeed. i supposed hick ups would be 2-3 second stops.

mistery solved. thanks Buchon!

Buchon
05-09-2012, 10:17 AM
This is what I am holding out for! I am praying that once the grass, trees and clouds are optimized then we will have a game. The only thing that worries me is if it is only going to be a matter of days to fix these things like BS stated, then why did they release the pach? Why not just wait if they will bring vast improvements to the FPS?

They released this for search and crush the CTD issue for once and all before step forward, that's the whole purpose of the Alpha test.

Send your crash files guys ...

Wolf_Rider
05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
- single 1440x900 60hz, again. i DINDT have this issue before

what was your secret??

-none. at the end of the day this game is/was broken, but with enough power will run.

for the 50% gain, dispite everithing some people are seing a performance increase.

mine were

channel:
80 to 120 fps

france
60- 80 fps

england

30/40 - 50/60

london

25 - 40

no more stuttering from dust, smoke etc. overall, performance wise my game is currently top notch, except for this issue, and an issue with calais. (for some reason i get 20 fps in calais)

a

That doesn't indicate what monitor you are running though...

and, you did... everyone did. What you describe FPS and stutter/ shudder wise is similar to most other players.
the stuutering/ shudder is more pronounced when the terrain is moving across your screen than at an angle?

PotNoodles
05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
They released this for search and crush the CTD issue for once and all before step forward, that's the whole purpose of the Alpha test.

Cool then I really am looking forward to the next patch.

pupo162
05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
That doesn't indicate what monitor you are running though...

and, you did... everyone did. What you describe FPS and stutter/ shudder wise is similar to most other players.
the stuutering/ shudder is more pronounced when the terrain is moving across your screen than at an angle?

my monitor is a 19' from 7 years ago does that really make a difference?

not sure waht you mean by the last part of the post tough.

its easier to spot if i watch downward at a low FOV. but its noticeble all over.

then again. its a know issue after all, a comprimise in the beta release. so this thread no longer serves its porpose.

Wolf_Rider
05-09-2012, 10:33 AM
no, it isn't a "compromise" at all... the low altitude stutter has always been there and known about (FSX had the same situation - oversaturated bus)

I'm sorry, I didn't realise there was a problem for you in indicating which monitor you were running.
Early series LCD's were terrible for shudder and even for later LCD's, a drop in FPS from 60Hz will have stutter/ shuddering occur.

pupo162
05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
no, it isn't a "compromise" at all... the low altitude stutter has always been there and known about (FSX had the same situation - oversaturated bus)

I'm sorry, I didn't realise there was a problem for you in indicating which monitor you were running.
Early series LCD's were terrible for shudder and even for later LCD's, a drop in FPS from 60Hz will have stutter/ shuddering occur.

ok. for the last time. i didnt have this issue before.

well im not being rude really. im just not near it at the moment and i cant recall the model. i was actually being straight honest in asking if it really made a difference. And seems like it does.

Wolf_Rider
05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
ok. for the last time. i didnt have this issue before.

well, what was your secret??

pupo162
05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
well, what was your secret??

for the last time. none.

to be fair, im the only one on my squad that has this "ground lag stuttering bug" even now. thats why i came here looking for someone else who had it. none of my mates has it right now.

you can ask all of them the "secret" but there isnt any, some bugs jsut pop on systems and dont pop on others. there have benn people with CTDs with the alfa patch every ten minutes, and some ahvent got a single one.

Wolf_Rider
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
pupo162 wrote

HI!

well this who i am and this is all i have left to say. im not going to post anymore in this forums, become they dont serve their purpose anymore ( we cant communicate with the developers, nor they communicate with us. so... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=iBNe7DjXjpU#!

pardon my english.

and bye all!

edit:

...already broke my promisse dindt i?

To all those who insulted me: you missed the point of the video.

and to all of those who are telling me to grow up, i wont. This is who i am, and honestly. i ahve no problem about it.

and im not about to break up in tears, tough i admit, that would have been nice.

and to those who tell me to "get a life", well, i have one. as you can see, i have a guitar in the back, i like to play the guitar. i liked to play il2 too. those were my 2 favorite hobbies. im sorry im so passionate by my hobbies. my third hobbie is university. my dream is to become a pilot ( still working on that)

after all this is not a message to you, but to luthier. i spammed it here in the hopes he actually would see it. it may not be very mature to "spam the internetz with my feeligns" but its far more mature giving my face in a forum than just spamming post over post with complaints and member attacking. i have done it and im sorry for it. hoped everyone here "fanboys and whiners" would actually stop doing that, and only said what they would if theyre face was in it, not an avatar.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=30582

Just ran a test on COD, full settings, windowed mode, and keep on watching my 5770 usage log. to my surprise it was only using 33% of it, sometimes toping 60%, and to my amaze i was getting the stuters at 10% memory. i always tought i got stutters when i ran out of mem.

I saw a video on youtube ( wich i could find, it was from a PC pilot guy flying a month), explaining how to fix this, but lost it.... ideas??

PotNoodles
05-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Still a bit daft to release a patch that was about doubling FPS when you know damn well it's going to stutter on the ground and around clouds that have not been optimized. Setting yourself up for a barrage of complaints when you do things like if you ask me.. Which is why I remain skeptical about the next patch and what it will achieve. I just went and had a go at bomber intercept and my FPS through the clouds were 11 FPS lol. Made me feel like a tortoise with arthritis it was that slow.

PLebre
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
So, m havign this huge issue with my current installation of alpha/beta patch.

i have 70+ fps over England (60 with vsync) yet, dispite my fps i see the ground lagging and stuttering. which is strange because my bullets and pother plaens move fluidly over this stutering land.

so picture a stable fps and the game moving at 60+fps, but the ground only moving itself at 15-20 fps?

to reproduce this issue, fly over england at 500 meters max, and look down to the ground, the easiest view is looking at the trailing edge near the cockpit (low5/7 o clock) zoomed in, and watch stuff passing below you stutering.

settings:
maxed out graphics.
7870 i5 2500k 8gb ddr3

Have the same here, no stuttering / freezes over sea, tons of stuttering / freezes over land.
The internal FPS counter stays always over 30 FPS in both situation.
Before this patch was ok, very small stuttering over land and 40 FPS.

PotNoodles
05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Have the same here, no stuttering / freezes over sea, tons of stuttering / freezes over land.
The internal FPS counter stays always over 30 FPS in both situation.
Before this patch was ok, very small stuttering over land and 40 FPS.

I think you may just have contradicted yourself in that post. No stuttering, but everywhere really lol.

fruitbat
05-09-2012, 12:30 PM
i agree with the OP's original post, but its happened for me since day one.

i call it the CLOD shuffle (and hum it to myself along to the tune 'doing the lambeth walk').

580GTX here.

PLebre
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I think you may just have contradicted yourself in that post. No stuttering, but everywhere really lol.

?

I've I? Sorry.

What the part you don't get?

Over the land (landscape)= lots of stuttering.

Over the sea = no stuttering (only made a small test).

Edited: looks like the internal fps counter is not affected by the stuttering / freezes.

Edited: Didn't notice this could be relevant but I also have the "red box on a black background" when the launcher starts.

pupo162
05-09-2012, 01:12 PM

thank you for reminding me. my 5770, has been upgraded to a 7870. im psoting on this foruns cuz is the only place i have to get info, and utterly report bugs on bugtracker.

honestly i wasnt rude to you, why did you kept coming at me like i did something to you?

oh, and welcome to my ignore list.

Wolf_Rider
05-09-2012, 01:37 PM
I think you answered your own question there

JG5_emil
05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
If you turn off trees maybe grass as well this will go away mostly.

Yes it's not nice to get rid of the one feature than gives the ground some life and dimension but they did say there were still issues with trees and grass.

von Pilsner
05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
settings:
maxed out graphics.
7870 i5 2500k 8gb ddr3

I just did a dogfight above London and I get low FPS but not the ground issues you are describing. Are you using 'original' textures? They are HUGE...

FROM: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=308554#post308554 (a pre-beta discussion, but still relevant)
Im trying to spread the word that the best trade off I have found is turning landscape to medium as it appears to reduce draw distance by maybe 50% for some land based objects. This smooths out all texture hiccups even when running everything else maxed on my system.

I would rather have a little less draw distance for land objects and higher quality textures than the insane draw distance you get with Landscape on High.

GTX480 will do fine with the settings i suggested above.

He has this monster: i7 3930K @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4way SLI 3GB GTX 580 Aquagrafx WB - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD Nv Surround
And turns it down to reduce stutter.

When I turn textures to original and trees, buildings to very high my system struggles in London but just about anywhere else with average density buildings its still able to give 70+ FPS with everything maxed out.

pupo162
05-09-2012, 06:41 PM
hi thanks for the reply.

i would like to make this clear once again, i did not have this issue before the patch.

regarding Path's advice, they refer to an older build of the game, 2 patchs or so ago. so they really dont reflect the reality of the sim anymore.

im going to wait for the final/last beta of the patch. this is a know issue by thre team after all so im not worried anymore.

von Pilsner
05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
hi thanks for the reply.

i would like to make this clear once again, i did not have this issue before the patch.

regarding Path's advice, they refer to an older build of the game, 2 patchs or so ago. so they really dont reflect the reality of the sim anymore.

im going to wait for the final/last beta of the patch. this is a know issue by thre team after all so im not worried anymore.

I'm pretty sure the advice is still relevant, the original textures are still way oversized... Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out.