PDA

View Full Version : Beta patch multi-threading?

TonyD
05-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Are there any Core i7 users that have recorded their core usage in CloD with HT enabled, and would you care to share? I have noticed no difference before and after the current beta patch, despite a substantial increase in frame rates. Using the BD track, I recorded frame rates of 27, 62, 6 (avg, max, min) before the patch, and 46, 103, 5 afterwards – nearly double.

Both the graphs below were recorded when flying low over Dover with VSYNC enabled. With the new patch this results in the frame rate almost constantly at the refresh rate limit, but there is no apparent difference in the core loading.

I have installed the MS hotfix that tells the OS I have a HT processor, and wondered what the thread distribution may be on an Intel cpu.

TonyD
05-08-2012, 09:26 AM
With all the responses to this post I can only assume that no-one uses HT with CloD??

AbortedMan
05-09-2012, 04:37 AM
Wait, there's a hyperthreading hotfix?

salmo
05-09-2012, 05:19 AM
While online in ATAG server, getting 40- 60 fps average 50 fps. Smooth-as, except for small stutter when skins download. Getting CTD's 1:5 missions when I previously had very few CTD's.

1. CPU's 1, 5 & 7 are parked (?not being used)
2. CPU use 20%
3. Physical memory use 5.13Gb
4. 1000 threads / 64 processes

Also running ClOD server & Apache server & MySql server simultaneously on same box.

TonyD
05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Wait, there's a hyperthreading hotfix?

No, there's a hotfix that fools Windows 7 into believing that Bulldozer is a HT processor instead of a SMT one. It’s a work-around to compensate for Win7 not recognising the cpu correctly, and scheduling tasks to the wrong cores.

TonyD
05-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the info, Salmo. It seems that CloD isn’t using any of the virtual cores for load distribution. I have access to a Core i5 (my son’s), but this doesn’t help with my query. I have no idea what my cpu is doing - judging by the Task Manager view, most of the cores are evenly loaded (before and after the latest beta patch). Performance has changed a lot, but you would never guess looking at the graphs. I guess that I’ll have to wait for Win 8 before seeing this thing function as intended.

Thanks again :)

AKA_Tenn
05-10-2012, 02:26 AM
I use an I7 and the game uses all 8 threads, but only 4 till I'm looking at the cockpit, and still only about 7%-20% cpu... and thats just because the game isn't very CPU intensive... or just that these intel cpus are super fast, so 20% is a lot... just for a game...

TonyD
05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I use an I7 and the game uses all 8 threads, but only 4 till I'm looking at the cockpit, ...

That's strange, I haven't noticed this. Definitely have a look tonight. Thanks for the response :)

Meusli
05-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I have an older i7 and was advised to switch off hyper-threading for this sim so I do not know, I will try later tonight and post my results tomorrow.