PDA

View Full Version : @moderators: please consider to add a thank you button to the forum

mugen
04-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi moderators,

could you please consider to add a thank you button to the forum. (I.e. ask the admins for)
I googled this one.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122944

One of the biggest problems on forums as you may know is 'posts boosting'. There are users who LOVE to say 'thanks' when ever they can. How can it hurt? Their post count goes up, they have nothing to loose.
There are also users who really like to express their thanks to post but don't like posting a post that looks like they're post boosting.
Then comes the moderators who have to delete people's thanks yous so a thread can look readable with out the thanks yous thrown around.
Finally comes the posters of these useful posts. They have no idea how many people really likes their posts if only some people say 'thanks'.
What this hack does is fix ALL these problems - except those users who like post boosting. This places a button called 'thanks.' When a user clicks on it, it places his username in a box right under the post saying that so-and-so says 'thanks' for the post. Every-one who clicks is placed in one box.
By giving your users the extra feature, you forum will look allot nice and organized. It is a guaranteed liking by ALL the members of your forum.

This could really help to keep informative threads clean.

I have to admit, that i'm one of the guys that usally says just thx to official infos.

Thx for consideration.

Greez mugen

Ps: the linked version above is for vbulletin 3.7, it is meant as an example for what i'm talking about.

PotNoodles
04-24-2012, 02:55 PM
The game is unplayable for many and right now and I cannot begin to thank anyone until it is fixed.

taildraggernut
04-24-2012, 03:05 PM
For those that wish to thank them? I don't believe a thanks button would place any obligation to use it.

fruitbat
04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
The game is unplayable for many and right now and I cannot begin to thank anyone until it is fixed.

With respect, i'm not bothered by whether or not you can begin to thank anyone at the moment.

Continu0
04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Looks like a good idea.

Thank you:-)

taildraggernut
04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Thank you

Brainstorm......a thank you button for forum members to thank each other if they have been helpfull, might be nice to change the culture here instead of just being able to report each other?

Ok so it's not a massive brainstorm........I thought I was a genius until I read the OP's link :)

mugen
04-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Maybe my post was a bit unclear.
I'm not looking for way to thank the devs.
This is possible today by just posting thx to their threads.

I'm looking for a way to give kudos (to thank, to agree) to an informative or helpfull poster without spreading information of an constructive discussion/thread over several pages.

PS: Added description of the "thank you button feature" to op.

Madfish
04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
I doubt it's gonna happen. Once introduced it has to be maintained and it produces queries (yes it says only one query but there is more. The java itself, eventual graphics etc...) and possible flaws.
Speaking of maintenance... "Last Update: 21 Mar 2008 / 03 Jan 2010". Also the recent version of vBulletin is 4.12... not 3.7x or 4.0...

I doubt that 1C will intoduce a hack globally (has to be done for all forum sections). Usually it's best to stick with the default featureset as that means easy migration and simple administration.

Aside from that it's a good idea. Would be nice to see something like this being implemented

mazex
04-24-2012, 08:18 PM
In version 4 of vbulletin you can do all kind of stuff like that... Add "likes" to posts etc... It would be nice with an upgrade to that (and it's not exactly bleeding edge now at version 4.1.11 where 4.0 came in 2009). And while at it - a bit less yellow maybe? ;)

Strike
04-24-2012, 08:22 PM
I like how they did it on the Benchmarksims forums. You can thank people for their posts. This really encourages the community to keep things more relevant and supportive in many ways. Also you can easily tell by profile stats showing how many times a person has been thanked, and see who's actually trying to help you. It makes it easier to trust people, especially for new members!

skouras
04-24-2012, 08:59 PM
agree;)

ramstein
04-24-2012, 11:36 PM
dammit, then they will have to remove the electric chair wires that charge when you press the patch button...

machoo
04-24-2012, 11:46 PM
So.....what are we supposed to be thanking them for again?

julien673
04-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Very useful if the moderation create a topic about forum member who got banned

http://www.bakerscoaches.com/i/content/tree.jpg

I will be glad to thanks for the whinning gone :D

tk471138
04-25-2012, 02:35 AM
Id probably Use the "thanks" button after any communication between the devs and the community...

PotNoodles
04-25-2012, 05:27 PM
With respect, i'm not bothered by whether or not you can begin to thank anyone at the moment.

With respect, I'm not bothered that you're not bothered, but posting a reply makes you sound bothered to be honest.

fruitbat
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
With respect, I'm not bothered that you're not bothered, but posting a reply makes you sound bothered to be honest.

lol, the irony of that post is funny.

PotNoodles
04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
lol, the irony of that post is funny.

Well I had to reply with something since you quoted me and it's all I could think of.

fruitbat
04-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Well I had to reply with something since you quoted me and it's all I could think of.

well, for whats is worth, its the only thing that made me smile reading the forums today:-)