PDA

View Full Version : Dover Radar

badfinger
04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
In looking at Dover harbor in Google maps, I see the shadows of three antennae in the same area shown in CoD that look like those used in WWII and in CoD. But, these are lined up perpendicular to the coast line, rather than parallel, as in CoD.

Does anyone know if the ones in Google are from WWII?

binky9

Bungmiester
04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
YEP they were part of the chain low system left over from the ww II

Buster_Dee
04-19-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't recall seeing CHL modeled in IL2 CoD. Either way, it would make sense that CH and CHL are located differently. Also, CHL could be rotated (not sure if the "back-to-back" antenna version was also rotatable); it did not have to face out to sea like the CH.

BMCha
04-19-2012, 01:33 AM
It would appear that they are (mostly) the original towers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swingate_Transmitter

checkmysix
04-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Yes these Masts at Swingate are part of Chain Home Link.
binky9 is right,in game the Masts are parallel to the coast and if I am not mistaken they are behind
Dover castle.
The Masts in Game also seem to be Hardcoded so no way of Correcting [might be wrong though]
Looks like there was also a Fourth Radar Mast [Footings Circled]
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/obergren/DOVERChainHomeLinkjpeg.jpg

Osprey
04-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Binky has been doing his homework on his local geography ;)

The comms are working again mate, hope to see you online at the weekend :)

badfinger
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Binky has been doing his homework on his local geography ;)

The comms are working again mate, hope to see you online at the weekend :)

In furthering those geography lessons, I just lost out on buying an original canvas-backed 1938 RAF map of SE England, 33" x 22" in color on ebay. Someone needed it more than I did. The bidding started at 4.99GBP, and finished at 43, I think.

I may buy the maps at A2A Simulations, and have one of them printed full size.

binky9

fruitbat
04-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Further to what has been said, yes they are definitely the left over masts from the radar, now laden with mob phone crud.

There position is to the north of the castle, as you come up the modern day Jubilee Way the castle is on your left, the masts on the right.

I see them a couple of times a week at least.

There's prob a mile between the castle and the masts and a valley in-between.

322Sqn_Dusty
04-23-2012, 09:34 PM
A2A maps, altough stitched from various maps you won't notice. Very high detail scans.