PDA

View Full Version : 72 hours and no reply from Steam support (AOL Blamed) ?

KG26_Alpha
03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Steam

There's got to be a better way to access my Cliffs of Dover

I cant install Steam due to Steam Guard Verification code.

No verification e-mail has been sent to me only support request confirmation e-mails.

After 4 support requests over 48 hours still no answer ??

Oh well no CoD for the time being.

:confused:

von Brühl
03-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Call them, I was able to get a tech on the line in less than 20 minutes (which is acceptable considering their market, and amount of games they have).

5./JG27.Farber
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Eh what? Whats going on?

KG26_Alpha
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Ok

I got a response

They have changed my password. ?????

LOL

Steams a joke.

Theres nothing wrong with my password.

KG26_Alpha
03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
This is getting really funny.

They changed my account PW (for no reason)

Then sent a verification code (yay) :-P

Ok put the code in..............

The code you entered is not valid its too old (boo) :mad:

Steam truly is crappy.

5./JG27.Farber
03-22-2012, 06:19 PM
This is very unusual, I wonder if someone was trying to steal your steam account and asked for a password reset or some one was trying to log into an account with a simular user name, got the pw wrong and asked for a new one?

Ive never heard of Steam changing someones password for no reason. However I have heard of people stealing peoples accounts...

ATAG_Doc
03-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Took them 7 days to answer me last time I opened a ticket.

KG26_Alpha
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Looks like its going that way for me too.

Although they have replied to me but decided to reset password, send me old validation codes, and generally not read the messages I left them correctly.

After a SSD drive crash, its just a simple case of installing steam on a clean drive and os, I would have thought...................

Well I have only CoD on Steam thankfully.

Troll2k
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Somehow Steam gets a hardware image of you machine when you install it.If you try putting Steam on another machine, they know it and think someone is trying to hijack your account so they send a verification code to your registered email address.However this code is very time sensitive and if you do not enter it right away it becomes no good and you have to get another one.

This also occurs if you change your hardware.Like upgrading your video card or cpu.

5./JG27.Farber
03-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Dont think it happens with the gfx card but yes, definatley with the OS and mobo..

Jugdriver
03-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I upgraded my GFX card without an issue, but I am sure an HD would be a differnt story.

Alpha what SSD drive did you have?

JD
AKA_MattE

KG26_Alpha
03-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Mushkin
Chronos 240GB Solid State Drive - MKNSSDCR240GB

Never had a problem with Mushkin before.

But it was possibly down to overheating issues as a cooling fan on the drive wasn't running correctly.

ATAG_MajorBorris
03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Theres a fan in your Munshkin?

flyingblind
03-23-2012, 06:02 PM
I had a similar problem a while ago. I set up a second hard drive with its own O/S and when I installed steam on it it said the installation was on a new computer and sent a verification code which wasn't recognized. I chased it up using a support ticket and after a number of codes which did not work something clicked and everything was fine. Never had a problem since despite formatting the drive and reinstalling everything a couple of times the verification codes have always worked. I actually have Steam installed on three separate drives each with an O/S with just one Steam account without problem.

KG26_Alpha
03-24-2012, 10:45 AM
This is the problem.

It was the fact that the verification code system / installation need looking at.

Eventually something kicked in at Steam and the correct code was sent.

Just shows you dont own your stuff on Steam as your at their mercy to access it.

More like you are licensed to use the software when and if Steam feels like it.

Steams answer to the problem.

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Alpha,

Unfortunately, AOL often rate limits our messages, as such you will need to wait
until AOL resets the limits until you will receive the verification requests
that we are sending.

The reason why we suggested creating an alternate address as it would resolve
this issue and any future issues you may experience with verification or
password reset requests using the AOL address.

If you would like to provide an alternate address, please reply to this ticket
with the address you would like to use and we will manually update it for you.

JG52Uther
03-24-2012, 09:02 PM
AOL? I didn't realise people still used that! Quite often I have seen sites ask for an alternative address if you have an AOL email addy. I would definitely set up a googlemail account or similar, for just this eventuality.

KG26_Alpha
03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
I have had my AIM for over 15 years.

Steams making excuses.

Large organisations used to reject Hotmail accounts years ago............

KG26_Alpha
03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Theres a fan in your Munshkin?

No :)

I was using a ssd drive cooling rack

ATAG_MajorBorris
03-26-2012, 02:28 PM
I didnt know ssd got hot enough to need fans.

Grrr... AOL double billed me for a year and never fixed it.

KG26_Alpha
03-26-2012, 08:12 PM
I never used AOL as an isp I just have the free e-mail box.

I have worked on PC's with the AOL software installed back in the dial up days it was messy.

Thee_oddball
03-30-2012, 04:18 AM
[QUOTE]As a Steam account holder, you can now take advantage of Steam Guard, a new feature of Steam that enables an additional level of account security.(Security? bullshit there just trying to stop you from selling/giving away your game) Your account may already be protected by Steam Guard, as the new feature automatically begins protecting your account once you've verified your email address with Steam.

With Steam Guard enabled, anyone attempting to login as you from an unrecognized computer or browser must first provide additional, one-time authorization. A special access code will be sent to your contact email address, and this code must be entered into Steam before your first login on an unfamiliar computer is complete. You will also be notified if any login attempts from computers other than those you've authorized occur. Steam Guard essentially acts as a form of "User Rights Management," where you as the user have greater control over access to your stuff( greater control?!?!? pffft)/QUOTE]

steam customer service conjures images of a short bus and a helmet banging against glass...this is why on the whole keeping all you eggs in one basket is a bad idea, your problem will get sorted Alpha but steam has way to much control over YOUR/OUR purchases.

KG26_Alpha
04-09-2012, 11:38 PM
The quicker they break way from Steam the better.

Allons!
04-11-2012, 07:08 AM
The quicker they break way from Steam the better.

Same goes for your AOL imhho. In Germany they used to advertize with Boris Becker, who as a tennis player wasnt famous for his IT- knowledge...