PDA

View Full Version : Problems with starting the game

3av
03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
I have installed Cliffs of Dover to my computer (Win XP), and when I start the game I can go to the the point where I can select for example "Quick mission", "Single mission", "Campaign", etc. When I choose some of them I get the photo of for example JU 88 and at the bottom the line of numbers 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, and so on to the 100. It looks like the game starts loading from no. 1 to between 5 and 10, but doesn't go forward. All the time it gets between 5 and 10 and then comes back to 1 and starts same again...where is the problem, please help me!

JG52Uther
03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Post your system specs please.

5./JG27.Farber
03-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Isn't XP a 32 bit system?

von Brühl
03-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Isn't XP a 32 bit system?

Not necessarily, Microsoft makes several versions of each of their operating systems. Windows XP has a 64-bit version, and Windows 7 likewise has a 32-bit version.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AWindows%20XP%2064-bit&page=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions#Windows_XP_64-Bit_Edition

3av
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Win XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3, AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual, Core Processor 4400+, 1.00 GHz, NVIDIA Ge Force 9800 GTX. The stick is Logitech Extreme 3 D Pro, if you ask.
And everything looks ok, I can change the flyer's clothes, goggles, etc. I can choose the aeroplane, I can do everything else but just can't fly....
I have already IL2 Sturmovik 1946 and it works fine, also I have Microsoft Flight X, it is a bit slow in some occasions but works anyway.

Warhound
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Your 9800GTX is almost certainly the problem (together with windows XP).
Even though it's a 32bit app this game has a strong preference for 64bit windows 7 and needs all the VRAM you can throw at it.
In all honesty your pc is borderline minimumspec on all fronts and will struggle to run the game decently.

But try going into the video options and turn everything down to the minimum, including your resolution. Then if that works slowly work your way up to where the game runs at a reasonable framerate.
Settings that are known to overload weaker graphics cards are SSAO; grass; shadows; texture quality and forest. Also untick the anti-epilepsy filter, providing you aren't epileptic!, or you will see some very psychedelic cockpits.

edit: There is also a patch in the works that is supposed to give better performance across the board, but will obviously benefit lower end machines the most. Noone knows when it will see the daylight right now... could be anything between 2 days or 2+months, but if nothing else works don't abandon hope yet and wait for the betaversion of said patch.

Troll2k
03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
You might also try checking to see if you are running DX9 in your ini file.If not try setting it to DX9.

von Brühl
03-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Your 9800GTX is almost certainly the problem (together with windows XP).
Even though it's a 32bit app this game has a strong preference for 64bit windows 7 and needs all the VRAM you can throw at it.
In all honesty your pc is borderline minimumspec on all fronts and will struggle to run the game decently.

I disagree with the assessment on the video card, I was able to run the game on older patches, before the graphics were dumbed down on that video card. I did have the 1MB version, so if his is the 512k, maybe, but I think the problem is driver/software/RAM related. That video card can start the game, on medium settings, and fly, albeit at a low framerate.