PDA

View Full Version : Steam dependancy

theOden
02-12-2012, 06:05 PM
"Cannot connect to Steam server"
Oh really, does it hurt?

I see the idea of notifying the end-user of this litte issue resulting in no clients arriving, but totally blocking the ability to host a session to test a mission under development I honestly do not understand.

I guess extravagant assumptions of why someone would host a server could be one, but if a developer could enlighten me I'd be very pleased as I would really enjoy getting out of this darkness of ignorance I live in currently.

/tired, more than tired

Buzpilot
02-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Why won't they offer us offline mode when we're unable to connect?:confused:

addman
02-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Steam is the best disguised DRM out there, all that needs to be said.

Letum
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Why won't they offer us offline mode when we're unable to connect?:confused:

Disconnect from the net completely and you can then start steam in offline mode no problem.

bw_wolverine
02-12-2012, 07:22 PM
The problem isn't playing single player. You can do that offline when steam is down.

The problem is playing online. No servers. Not even direct connect is working.

Sigh

Osprey
02-12-2012, 07:35 PM
An absolute disgrace that such a high profile service should drop offline like this, and for such a significant time too. Where is their contingency??

5./JG27.Farber
02-12-2012, 07:41 PM
The amount that steam is actually down is minimal. Some multiplayer games will function on Steam when Steam is down. For example Company of Heroes is still working as multiplayer because they host their own server connection through Relic.

So really the set up is not Steams fault entirely. Sometimes Steam friends goes down yet you can still play online and some times the whole things down for maintence.

It will be back up in a couple hours, why dont you read a book or watch a documentary? You know you've been putting it off.

Alternatively you can come on the 1c forum and B**** and whine!

:-P

palker4
02-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah its not entirely steam´s fault I could play Team Fortress just fine even when the steam service was down

bw_wolverine
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
It will be back up in a couple hours, why dont you read a book or watch a documentary? You know you've been putting it off.

Heh, yes I agree. It's not a big deal in the long run, but today's downtime basically obliterated 501, 64, and 401's weekly big gaming afternoon/evening which we won't get a chance to do until next weekend. So it kinda sucks.

99% of the time, Steam is great. I love it.

1% of the time I absolutely hate it.

The real thing this highlights for me is the lack of reason to even have it integrated with Steam in the first place. None of the benefits for having the game on Steam are present:

Can you join game with your friends right from the friends list? Nope.

Are the servers listed in the Steam Server listing accessible from the tray icon? Nope.

Is there a simple Steam downloadable Dedicated Server tool? Nope.

With none of the benefits of running the servers through Steam, it gets a little hard to swallow the negatives.

Anyway. We'll survive. Just a little venting. Letting off Steam, as it were :P

GF_Mastiff
02-13-2012, 02:00 AM
not to mention the steam unlocks. lol, what a joke.

sorak
02-13-2012, 06:29 AM
and some people claim this is the future... a flawed future that will crumble

steam is like the modern day AOL

addman
02-13-2012, 07:47 AM
and some people claim this is the future... a flawed future that will crumble

steam is like the modern day AOL

EA's Origin service is a modern day AOL, Steam is a success story.

theOden
02-13-2012, 09:05 AM
I honestly don't mind Steam that much (not that I love it but, yeah), this was a question to Luthiers team why they block me from hosting a local server (testing missions WIP) when not able to connect to steam, thats all.

(now of course I added a singleplayer plane temporarily to the mission testing it through the singleplayer interface, but I felt this need to be stubborn and scream out my frustration :) , the block is still silly IMO - I'll buy Luthier a beer if he fix it)

EA Origin on the other hand, I could kill people or even wipe out a country or two to get rid of that.

:grin:

O_Smiladon
02-13-2012, 09:50 AM
HA Steam. Evil I tells ya EVIL!!!! :evil:

tintifaxl
02-13-2012, 11:13 AM
I would really like if 1C/MG would drop Steam for the IL2 series.

For IL2 I don't want to connect to an online service, when all I want is to play offline. I don't want to be forced to install the latest patch. I don't want to have the same nick in IL2 as in all the other Steam online games.

Rowddy
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Steam is the devil i hope it burns in hell :twisted:

Osprey
02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
The amount that steam is actually down is minimal. Some multiplayer games will function on Steam when Steam is down. For example Company of Heroes is still working as multiplayer because they host their own server connection through Relic.

So really the set up is not Steams fault entirely. Sometimes Steam friends goes down yet you can still play online and some times the whole things down for maintence.

Alternatively you can come on the 1c forum and B**** and whine!

Farber, it's just not acceptable for global services like this to drop - at all! I'm pretty sure that somebody within that company will be getting a very serious roasting for today's fiasco.

Ask yourself how many times Facebook has been down since it started, or Amazon or Google or Twitter or any other public service business. It may be that in your line of work that downtime is acceptable, but in IT is just isn't - not if you're serious anyway.

5./JG27.Farber
02-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Farber, it's just not acceptable for global services like this to drop - at all! I'm pretty sure that somebody within that company will be getting a very serious roasting for today's fiasco.

Ask yourself how many times Facebook has been down since it started, or Amazon or Google or Twitter or any other public service business. It may be that in your line of work that downtime is acceptable, but in IT is just isn't - not if you're serious anyway.

Well, they made another announcement about being hacked and the investigation, so 1+1=5: They were attacked by a DoS? Dont blame me, blame Anonymous...

Osprey
02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
So they have **** security which they still haven't improved. Do you think that other major players haven't been hacked before? They don't drop. You can defend them all you like Farber but I'm telling you, it sucks to fall over like that.

palker4
02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29146640&postcount=385

5./JG27.Farber
02-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Heh cant do anything with out power :)

rga
02-13-2012, 07:18 PM
What I hate most of Steam is the automatic update function. Not a really bad idea actually, but more than often a new patch comes and screws your gameplay. Developers don't give a damm and the stupid Steam doesn't let you roll back.

Fjordmonkey
02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
What I hate most of Steam is the automatic update function. Not a really bad idea actually, but more than often a new patch comes and screws your gameplay. Developers don't give a damm and the stupid Steam doesn't let you roll back.

Simple fix:

Step 1: Open your library in Steam
Step 2: rightclick the game, click Properties.
Step 3: Turn off autoupdate, click OK
Step 4: ??
Step 5: Profit!

Simple as that.

And that Steam went offline due to a power-outage AND that the backup-generators couldn't handle the load is one for the Shit happens-category.

tintifaxl
02-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Simple fix:

Step 1: Open your library in Steam
Step 2: rightclick the game, click Properties.
Step 3: Turn off autoupdate, click OK
Step 4: ??
Step 5: Profit!

Simple as that.

It doesn't work. You'll still get the latest patch, if you haven't got it already.

Fjordmonkey
02-14-2012, 03:03 PM
It doesn't work. You'll still get the latest patch, if you haven't got it already.

Then there's something wrong on your end. If I uncheck the option to keep my steam-games from autoupdating, they won't.

5./JG27.Farber
02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Then there's something wrong on your end. If I uncheck the option to keep my steam-games from autoupdating, they won't.

Same here.

II/JG54_Emil
04-19-2012, 01:05 PM
For the last 14 hours German players can´t connect to steam and therefore can´t fly and the problem continues!!!

Man I paid a lot of money for my collectors edition and I´m being dictated by Valves incompetence!

I´m mad a s hell.
Why may I not start CoD offline???

I think 1c should seriously consider a good alternative to Steam.

Rowddy
04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
For the last 14 hours German players can´t connect to steam and therefore can´t fly and the problem continues!!!

Man I paid a lot of money for my collectors edition and I´m being dictated by Valves incompetence!

I´m mad a s hell.

+1 and oh.. did i mention that i hate that crap with a grunge?

LcSummers
04-19-2012, 03:51 PM

I´m mad a s hell.

100000++++++

Steam sucks!!!!

No offline playing:evil:

Seafireliv
05-29-2012, 08:30 PM

The problem is this: if you ever go into Offline mode in Steam, it will automatically turn Autoupdates back on. It shouldn`t- It does.

So, I see the awaited successor to IL2 is released and I see they made it forced-Steamed.

Terrible, terrible decision. I pleaded with Oleg not to, but I guess others got the better of him.:(

arthursmedley
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Seafire!? Is that you m8?