PDA

View Full Version : Screen Freeze in-game

kopperdrake
02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

First post to see if anyone else has this problem. At a seemingly random time in-game, the screen will freeze. The game is still running, the sound is working fine, I can fire bullets, rev up and down, but the screen is frozen. I can quit the game using ctrl-alt del, or I can shift-tab out of it to the desktop, but if I then shift-tab back in the screen is still froze, although it will be stuck on the desktop image then. This can be in solo gameplay or multiplay (shout out to the ATAG server junkies).

Having had it happen a few times, it seems to happen when large amounts of data are being loaded into memory - if I look over my shoulder and a large forest comes into view, it can happen. If I'm flying low over the sea and the shoreline appears it can happen. Occasionally I get a stutter when encountering these things - from a split-second stutter to a second-long stutter - occasionally they just freeze.

I'm running an i7 2600K, overclocked to something reasonable (just using the Asus 'turbo' option in the bios), 16Gb of RAM, a 2Gb 560Ti, running the game from an OCZ Agility 3 disk. This happens with the visual settings on full, high or medium - it seems to be this loading of data issue rather than the quality of the visuals. Even on maximum settings the framerate seems decent though - I've never really had cause to complain about that.

Anyone seeing the same?

Flanker35M
02-09-2012, 02:50 PM
S!

I have none of those issues except some VERY small stops now and then due texture loading or whatever. But I would recommend you to check a few things I list below and see if it helps :)

First of all in most cases Application Controlled is the best setting in the GPU control panel, forcing AA or AF can bring undesireable or no results at all. The in-game AA works from not at all to very little, so using it is kind of useless. For example the SMAA Injector gives far better results with less FPS hit, but the VAC thingy on Steam is not 100% sure so I would use it offline only.

Secondly make sure Epilepsy Filter is OFF aka not ticked in graphics settings. At the same time disable SSAO too and along with that check that you are running Full Screen ON in graphics. Using VSync or not is up to you, I use it ON.

Then to other game settings. Forest at Medium or Low gives some boost to FPS. Effects at Medium give nice boost with smallish hit on the effect quality, but I can live with it. Also set building detail to Low or Medium, but their amount to Unlimited. Then the more important thing, texture quality. On ORiginal it hogs a lot of memory and reduce performance, using High is a small compromise for better performance in game.

What has a big impact in game are the Shadows, they can cause quite a big FPS hit, but without them game is a bit dull though. If you are into conf.ini editing then changing the ShadowMap size from 5 to 4 can help some. Grass can cause some FPS loss and stuttering, really boils down to personal preference if want it or not..but you will not see it above 100-300ft anyway. Roads have some impact but nothing big.

Then a way to help performance, at least for AMD users, if not others too is to disable the UBI logo video logo.wmv. It can be found in the X:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs Of Dover\core\parts\GUI\ Just delete or rename it.

Try these and others will for sure add some tips too :)

ICU_DIE535
02-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I get something like this to. Except it's like I'm suddenly in suspended animation. My plane freezes in mid air, can't fire weapons, no engine response no control at all and the sound continues. Everything around me is still going and the damn british are shooting at me and nothing I can do. I can switch views though and look around in the cockpit. This has happened to me at least six times, after the new patch installed v1.5xx. It seems to happen when I'm following an enemy plane up into the sun or if I have guns blazing and then fire the cannon a short burst while the guns are still shooting.
I have i7 3GHz 4Gram Nvidia GTX 260 2Gram. I usually fight over the channel so fps is high. All graphics settings low, no shadows, no forest, epilepsy turned off. buildings low, model detail is high, effects are high and resolution is high. I usually don't have much trouble with fps unless there are a huge number of objects. This is an interesting bug that can be very frustrating. Oh, and I play single player.

wildwillie
02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm having the game freeze issue as well.

It happens at random times, (engine warmup , takeoff, flying, etc) nothing specific.

The screen freezes, but the audio continues. After 30 or so seconds it seems to unfreeze and I'm back in the game. If the plane was on the ground and not moving it is not a problem, but mostly I am airborne and it unfreezes when I crash into the ground.

I cannot seem to find a pattern.

System Specs:

i7 2600 Stock speed (3.4GHZ)
8gb RAM
Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
nvidia 580 GTX 1.5GB ram
game installed on SSD with OS

Game settings:
Resolution 2560x1600 (30" Moniter)
Full Screen ON
Model Detail: High
Buildings Detail: Low
Land Detail: High
Forest: Low
Visual Effects: Medium
Texture Quality: High
Anti-Aliasing: Off
Anti-Epilepsy Filter: Unchecked
SSAO: Unchecked
Vsync: Unchecked
Damage Decals: High
Buildings Amt: Low
Land Shading: High
Grass/Shadows/Roads: All Checked

Any Ideas ?

When the freeze happens, the CPU level seems to drop to almost 0

WildWillie

kopperdrake
02-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Sounds like your system is a similar spec - I'm also running 64bit Win 7. I run I at a lower resolution (1920 x 1200), and my GC isn't quite so fast. Your game settings are pretty much what mine are at now, and I'm going to play the game with these settings to see if I notice any difference. So far I managed an hour of solo play with no hiccups, but usually I need to play for an hour or so before it happens, so more time in the air will eventually tell. I'll keep the CPU monitor open on the other screen to see what mine does - seeing as though I can toggle to other open applications I imagine mine will also show zero usage.

electraguard
02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
The games wants to freeze and/or the video is all messed up[ when I try to play a single player campaign. It doesn't do it when I play single missions. Every time I send in a trouble ticket I get the same response, update you video and/or sound drivers. Both of these drivers are up to date according the manufactures. I have turned off the antl aliasing and my video is set to medium.

Is anyone else having this problem or know if the upcoming patch will fix these issues?

Here is some if my tech data from dxdiag

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/20/2012, 06:18:35
Machine name: VOODOO
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: IC780M-A
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Page File: 1329MB used, 5162MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTS 450
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DC4&SUBSYS_14503842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0012.9053 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/17/2011 14:03:00, 4290816 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: No
WHQL Date Stamp: None
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 12/17/2011 14:03:00, 13733696 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4E84-11CF-AF78-5C3400C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0DC4
SubSys ID: 0x14503842
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Realtek HD Audio output
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0662&SUBSYS_10191388&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6526 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 12/13/2011 18:27:30, 7069288 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 192000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: All tests were successful.

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Realtek HD Audio Input
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6526 (English)
Date and Size: 12/13/2011 18:27:30, 7069288 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x41
Format Flags: 0xFFF

Flanker35M
02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
S!

Also make sure the conf.ini files are identical in both folders under Steam and Documents. Can cause some issues possibly.

Revvy
02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I can't get through a mission without it starting to stuttering slowly then same picture freeze as described earlier. Ive been playing quick missions offline only since the release with multiple up grades to fix issue. Ive deleted and reinstalled trough steam many times. Pulling my hair out, would like to start playing it more.

Win7 ult. 32bit
E8500 4.2 and stock
4gig Mushkin gamer
HD6870 1 GIG, 12.1
650 watt OCZ

badaboom
02-26-2012, 02:05 AM
Just a "Heads Up"I tried the method above to disable The UBI Logo and My game failed to launch,This with a Nividia GTX580.I put the GUI file back in and everything is fine :)

I got rid of my freezes by resetting my Graphics card back to normal from being OC.