PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to seeing new winter landscape in BoM!

addman
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
After flying summer terrain forever in CloD it's going to be a nice change with some frosty surroundings. I hope there will be snow too. I remember one of the very first missions I created with IL-2 back in 2001 just after I'd bought the game. It was very simple, me in a MiG-3 on a snowy runway on the Moscow map, it was like a dream come true. I swear I sat for minutes in the cockpit looking out at the snowflakes slowly falling down and rotating the external camera around that beautiful MiG! Oh crap! I really want too fly the MiG-3 in CloD standard!:grin:

P.S Also how will the winter cold affect engine management/startup?! That will be interesting to see.

robtek
02-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Yep, i want the burning halved oil drums below the engines for warm up. :D

Of course, for that we need the animated ground crew!

CardboardSword
02-04-2012, 09:03 PM
It'll probably be too white ;)

I'm looking forward to everything BoM is going to bring. Since picking up CloD and really feeling the differences in the ways the different planes, well, feel I've been itching to get a shot at some of my favourites from '46 brought up to modern finesse. One of my first thoughts was of the MiG-3 haha. The map itself is a great change of scenery, and it'll be interesting to see how many of the effects of cold will be modeled. I'd also love to see a bit of content from African campaigns. A desert map at some point would round everything else out nicely I think :)

jimbop
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm looking forward to it - if there's snow we can get some good navigation challenges going too. But will it necessarily be Moscow?

Which maps will we see in BoM?
The right question - "Which maps will we see in the sequel?"

6BL Bird-Dog
02-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Perhaps there may be two Moscow maps;)An early one to represent the October rain & early snow melting.Armour would be slowed down because of the Mud.
Then when the ground froze finaly on 15-11-41, a winter map where armour could run faster.
I gues it will be one map though & it may be difficult to change ground unit speeds from one map to another.
There was also a lot of forest lined roads and tracks too.Should be interesting to see what comes out.:)

Ace Cheese
02-05-2012, 03:45 AM
i'm expecting less buildings and more FPS :grin:

addman
02-05-2012, 08:10 AM
I guess the carburetor heater on the G.50 will come to good use when it's -30c :)

bongodriver
02-05-2012, 08:37 AM
I guess the carburetor heater on the G.50 will come to good use when it's -30c :)

actually there is less chance of getting carb ice at that temparature, carb ice is most prevalent on warm humid days, but any time you fly in visible water vapour (cloud) you are at risk.

addman
02-05-2012, 09:39 AM
actually there is less chance of getting carb ice at that temparature, carb ice is most prevalent on warm humid days, but any time you fly in visible water vapour (cloud) you are at risk.

Oh, ok. How about overheating? That should take longer in those cold conditions, should be perfect for radial engines, yes?

bongodriver
02-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Oh, ok. How about overheating? That should take longer in those cold conditions, should be perfect for radial engines, yes?

Naturally yes, and colder ambient temparatures should also increase overall performance, nice cold dense air being sucked in....engines love it.

addman
02-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Naturally yes, and colder ambient temparatures should also increase overall performance, nice cold dense air being sucked in....engines love it.

Kewl! I hope they will model the cold air properly.

robtek
02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Yes, and cockpit windows frozen from the inside when not wearing the oxygen mask.
And the possibility of a frozen oxygen valve.
The implemented use of oxygen at all, maybe?

5./JG27.Farber
02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Impossible to say if there will be snow at all...

The devs have not given us a time scale that the sequel will be in. I am assuming it will be Op. Barbarossa. Was the worst wether there not a deluge of rain?

bongodriver
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I would be inclined not to bloat the sim with too much of the 'mundane', at the end of the day most of us just want to get airborne and shoot stuff paying more attention to tactics and dogfighing......it's a tough one, there is so much that can be implemented for added realism and immersion, but a line has to be drawn......but where?

machoo
02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Well going by the new forum rules , this topic falls under ' rule 18 - speculations' and you have all been docked 10 points and one step closer to a 30 day ban .....as far as I can tell.

Blackdog_kt
02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Well going by the new forum rules , this topic falls under ' rule 18 - speculations' and you have all been docked 10 points and one step closer to a 30 day ban .....as far as I can tell.

Discussion about potential features, user anticipations, etc, in a polite manner: fine

Fishing for reactions by insinuating unproven things or trying to sideways troll one's way to victory in an argument: not fine and falls under the speculation rule

Being unbanned and immediately "scratching the old wound": priceless

Some people never learn that this is nobody's personal "air my grudges" playground, but a community resource.

The infraction system is the result of user demand: people wanted more consistent moderation with no room for preferential or simply inconsistent treatment of individual members and the mods agreed it was the fair thing to do.

So, what happens now is that we just issue the "speeding tickets" when a rule is broken, the automatic system takes care of the rest. Much better than having to coordinate between 4-5 different mods across all timezones and usually about the same 2-3 people. Now it's simple, fast, efficient and the same for everyone: rule broken = infraction given and if the points are enough, it triggers a penalty.

This is a valid thread, stop "fishing" and don't derail it.

Qpassa
02-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I expect to have two types of map, winter and spring

julien673
02-05-2012, 12:40 PM
The I16 had ski, so maybe we have snow... and frozen wing ???? :D

JG53Frankyboy
02-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Impossible to say if there will be snow at all...

The devs have not given us a time scale that the sequel will be in. I am assuming it will be Op. Barbarossa. Was the worst wether there not a deluge of rain?

i would say BoM will be about this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Moscow

so, actually, a map with an without snow would be nice.......

5./JG27.Farber
02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
The I16 had ski, so maybe we have snow... and frozen wing ???? :D

Good point!

i would say BoM will be about this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Moscow

so, actually, a map with an without snow would be nice.......

I dont think that name is final. Hence it is now called "The Sequel"...

Red Dragon-DK
02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm looking forward to see if temperature have a great impact on engine preformants and other stuff. Hope to see both big summer and winter maps as well. Basic I'm pretty much exited to see what's in the sequel and its difficult to wait ;)

addman
02-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm looking forward to see if temperature have a great impact on engine preformants and other stuff. Hope to see both big summer and winter maps as well. Basic I'm pretty much exited to see what's in the sequel and its difficult to wait ;)

Yup same here.

wannabetheace
02-06-2012, 06:50 AM
LIKE THESE GENTS?:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSOuh4eTlI&feature=colike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1y4vzUCcb8&feature=BFa&list=UUoAgr5u0XiyLAohIKMf0WZg&lf=plcp

Flanker35M
02-06-2012, 10:51 AM
S!

Just like that. And notice the haze, contrast between plane and terrain etc. Thanks for sharing the videos!

klem
02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm hoping for a different kind of tree, a bare 'winter' tree. I expect damage modelling would still be beyond PC resources but at least I could have them on knowing guys can't hide in them too easily and perhaps they'll render with less GPU load of they don't have to 'shimmer'.

Hopefully there will be both summer and winter maps.