PDA

View Full Version : Steam suxs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O_Smiladon
01-30-2012, 05:41 AM
I am trying to log into MY GAME THAT I PAYED FOR and that programe that they call steam will not let me!!!

Steam Error

This game is univailable
please try again later

OK

NO I DO NOT WANT TO TRY AGAIN LATER I WANT TO PLAY MY GAME NOW!!!!

And to make things worse my mate in AUSTRALIA logs in np???

STEAM:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

O_Smiladon

el0375
01-30-2012, 05:48 AM
To me happens if i am happen to be offline, before putting steam in offline mode. only way is to have internet for that time. It may be that if you put it on a different machine, steam detects its a ''different pc'' so sends you a confirmation code, type it right and you should be fine.
apart these, i dont know what else it can be, perhaps go to steam support forums
i hope that your problem will be resolved.

Nephris
01-30-2012, 02:25 PM
This game is univailable
please try again later

Try to update your steam client by hand via the "search for update" button.
In generell that issue occurs due a not up2date steam client.
For some reason the client wasnt or isnt able to update on your system within time before you start the game.

bw_wolverine
01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Just run the launcher.exe from the IL-2 CloD directory itself if this happens.

Oh, and also calm down.

Robert
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
It's not your game. You're just leasing it. :D

jamesdietz
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm for the first time in months,Steam won't let me on this morning...it seems to have gone missing?

icarus
01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Steam crashed on me twice yesterday. So did CoD once.

O_Smiladon
01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
It's not your game. You're just leasing it. :D

LOL...You can say that again.

Thanks guys for your support on my rant.

I have done a verifiy game thing and its re D/L the sim for me..just as well my bandwidth is ok. Still..wonder how i can get steam to reimburse me for my bandwidth that i have now lost.

O_Smiladon

Robert
01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
LOL...You can say that again.

Thanks guys for your support on my rant.

I have done a verifiy game thing and its re D/L the sim for me..just as well my bandwidth is ok. Still..wonder how i can get steam to reimburse me for my bandwidth that i have now lost.

O_Smiladon

Oh man. That sux. How big is the game file? I'd never be able to do it on my paltry internet service.

SEE
01-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Have had this happen too! I Set Steam to Offline, wait a few minutes, set it back to online and Launch the game from within Steam (list of installed games, not Launcher). That seems to do the trick.

It only happens randomly when I have LE crash and the game refuses to boot from Launcher shortcut on my desktop - not sure why it does that.

Best of luck!

NedLynch
01-30-2012, 11:56 PM
I do have the same problem very, very rarely as well.

I try to relaunch my game (seems to be independent of what game it is) and usually it's ok at that point. But if it happens too often, yeah, once a week would be too often, even once a month would be, it might be worth contacting steam support.

And no, we are not leasing the games, we paid and own the code/lincense for our copy of the game, it is not a leasing agreement, it is a purchase.

sorak
01-31-2012, 04:46 AM
Sucks that games are making us install these services like steam now to play their game. This method makes me furious and i hope this fad dies quickly because this is clearly not the future.

Ailantd
01-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Sucks that games are making us install these services like steam now to play their game. This method makes me furious and i hope this fad dies quickly because this is clearly not the future.

In fact the future is like this, and even worse. You will see.

tintifaxl
01-31-2012, 07:10 AM
In fact the future is like this, and even worse. You will see.

I fear, you're right. When it's only streaming services with pay per minute business models, we'll long for the times when Steam was around. Time to look for another hobby then ...

Fjordmonkey
01-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Sucks that games are making us install these services like steam now to play their game.

The reason as to why companies give out games over apps like Steam is because they don't have to deal with having a physical box plus all the logistics and costs involved with it. The less products coming out boxed, the less money disappears to third party distributors etc. And let's face it, for flightsims, a niche-genre on the best of days, relying on in-store box-sales only is idiotic. Add in the fact that it's a damn hassle to pirate anything from Steam, and it's a win for the companies that use those portals.

And overall, it's a win for us customers, as we get easy access to niche-products like, for example, flightsims.

This method makes me furious and i hope this fad dies quickly because this is clearly not the future.

Prepare to be furious for a very long time, then, because like it or not, Steam and such apps definately ARE the future in content distribution. As the overall bandwith of the average home-user goes up, so does the amount of content being delivered online.

mazex
01-31-2012, 02:45 PM

So you mean distributing games on DVD:s is the future? Guess those guys that did music on CD:s in the good ole days said the same thing...

Sturm_Williger
01-31-2012, 09:29 PM
It's not the distribution of games online that's an issue, it's not even verifying the game online, it's having to be Connected to the Distributor when playing your game that irritates.

On top of which, for an application whose entire raison d'etre is internet connectivity, it takes Steam longer to connect than any other application on my PC.
What's that all about ?

Chivas
01-31-2012, 10:36 PM
It's not the distribution of games online that's an issue, it's not even verifying the game online, it's having to be Connected to the Distributor when playing your game that irritates.

On top of which, for an application whose entire raison d'etre is internet connectivity, it takes Steam longer to connect than any other application on my PC.
What's that all about ?

Not sure why its taking you so long to connect to COD. COD loads in 15 seconds, and I'm flying in another 15 seconds. Personally I have yet to have a problem with my STEAM games and like the fact it will update my copy of COD with no bother. I also like how I can have STEAM quickly verify and fix COD if necessary if I have a problem with a downloaded beta from another source. Although I completely sympathize with those having problems.

sorak
02-02-2012, 05:37 AM
So you mean distributing games on DVD:s is the future? Guess those guys that did music on CD:s in the good ole days said the same thing...

You dont need steam to distribute over the internet. Sure lets make steam a monopoly on how to buy games threw the internet, that will be just great. Each game dev. will have the ability to digital download on their own website.. not all threw steam.. that is the future.

csThor
02-02-2012, 06:27 AM
With even more stringent DRM that ties your purchase to the developer/publisher ... Ubisoft's nonsense DRM, anyone? Or that BS about BF3?

Face it - STEAM is relatively harmless compared to other online distribution systems.

Fjordmonkey
02-02-2012, 06:34 AM
You dont need steam to distribute over the internet. Sure lets make steam a monopoly on how to buy games threw the internet, that will be just great. Each game dev. will have the ability to digital download on their own website.. not all threw steam.. that is the future.

The ability to handle digital downloads is already inherently present in the very structure of the 'Net. But what's NOT handled through the 'net, is the issues of DRM's and making as sure as possible that the product cannot be copied and spread through pirates. Not that you will ever be able to stop pirates (You can't stop the signal, Mal!), but still. And also take into effect the costs involved with securing enough bandwith, having servers that can handle the loads etc, and you have a very good reason as to why solutions such as Steam are something that you will see more and more.

Steam doesn't have a monopoly on content distribution, but it is, by far, the best current solution (Try EA's Origin if you don't believe me. It sucks) available. But why should a game-dev like 1C NOT use Steam, when it currently offers the best solution in terms of both how much money they charge per transaction and how often they pay out to the companies that distribute games through them?

Let's face it: the time when you bought games in the stores are dying, and that holds especially true for flightsims and other niche genres. Or would you rather have to deal with systems as invasive as for example StarForce?

Verhängnis
02-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Personally, I would just like to own my copy of the game. Regardless of where I bought it.

tintifaxl
02-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Or would you rather have to deal with systems as invasive as for example StarForce?

I definitely prefer ED's Starforce solution for DCS:A-10C over Steam.

Korn
02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah Starfarce had major issues and lost a lot of clients because of their approach. But now it's really fine, i'm a DRM hater and still can't fault ED for their copyright protection. No hidden processes, no extra apps running all the time, no limited activation (even if you use them you get one every month), no internet access required (except for activation).

I like ED solution and Bohemia Interactive's (FADE + Securom activation i think). I have no problems with entering a serial for online check and then being left to play in peace without twenty thousand apps running in background, patching my games without asking, monitoring my PC activity and god knows what else.

Les
02-02-2012, 04:54 PM
A little bit off topic, but can anyone confirm, definitely and without a doubt, that the original DVD version of the sim did not in fact have a copy of the sim on it, just a Steam download link.

I'm asking because I'd like to try installing that original version and then only patching it up to a certain point, and perhaps even trying to mix different parts of different patches together (using the graphics from one and the sound from another for example). This would be for off-line use only.

I never backed up past patched full versions of the game and found I could only roll the patches back so far from the current version before I needed to start adding them to an older full version of the sim.

r0bc
02-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Steam doesn't have a monopoly on content distribution, but it is, by far, the best current solution

Agree..... I despise Starforce but its better then it use to be

Chivas
02-02-2012, 06:33 PM
A little bit off topic, but can anyone confirm, definitely and without a doubt, that the original DVD version of the sim did not in fact have a copy of the sim on it, just a Steam download link.

I'm asking because I'd like to try installing that original version and then only patching it up to a certain point, and perhaps even trying to mix different parts of different patches together (using the graphics from one and the sound from another for example). This would be for off-line use only.

I never backed up past patched full versions of the game and found I could only roll the patches back so far from the current version before I needed to start adding them to an older full version of the sim.

I don't know for sure, but I bought the Collectors Edition when it was first released, and it downloaded most of the content from STEAM. I don't think you will be able to find individual patches as they are probably deleted or overwritten with the latest patch.

FFCW_Urizen
02-02-2012, 06:33 PM

I installed it from DVD and there was no dling of files.

Blackdog_kt
02-02-2012, 07:03 PM

You can't roll back patches with Steam. If you install the very first version it will patch it to the latest version in one go (patches are cumulative, not incremental), so you're either stuck with the initial version or the last one, nothing in-between.

That's why i used to keep backups during the early patches when performance tweaks were a bit hit and miss: if the patch resulted in worse performance on your system, there was nothing you could do to roll back.

That's actually my principle annoyance with Steam. For a service with so high bandwidth costs, one thinks they could have seen the benefit of enabling incremental patching to give their customers some finer control if they want it, while also saving themselves some bandwidth.

Right now it's inefficient for both steam and customer if a game goes through a prolonged optimization patching process (like CoD): they stream all those GBs to you even if you don't want them all, while you take up space on your HDD or copying them to DVD for keeping backups of older versions.

Add in the fact that it's a damn hassle to pirate anything from Steam, and it's a win for the companies that use those portals.

Actually, Steam is one of the easiest protection methods to bypass. The fact that it also has a pre-load feature when you preorder high profile AAA titles (download the game ahead of time but it doesn't activate before release day) makes it a pirate favorite: they can preorder one copy, preload it a couple of weeks before release, crack the protection and release date check and have it on the torrents weeks before it's out in the stores.

In all fairness i haven't had much trouble with Steam, but it would be better if it stuck to doing what it does best: content delivery.

It's useless as an anti-piracy measure (crack one game and you've cracked them all) and depending on who you ask, it's a mixed bag in terms of support and user experience: some people swear by it, others have permanently lost access to hundreds of $ worth of games.

If it was just an interface to buy and download games, without having to run the client in the background to play, it would rock plain and simple.

As a small example, a month ago my secondary HDD died so i had to reinstall Steam and download CoD again. Well, the registry information about the previous installation was still there, so i thought "ok, let's uninstall normally through the control panel, it will clear the registry and just tell me it didn't find files to delete".

Well, no dice. Steam wouldn't install because it thought it was already installed and it wouldn't uninstall either because it didn't find the path to the files to delete.

I ended up finding a solution after scouring the net for a couple of hours and it wasn't even documented in steam's official FAQ. The official troubleshooting guide had me download a "steam remover" tool that also failed to work, the solution was found in a user forum.

It's stuff like that which annoys me when adding layers of complexity not directly relevant to the software i'm going to use: making it harder for the legitimate user to use the software without it even being his fault that things got messed up, while a pirate copy will play flawlessly regardless of anything.

I know what i'm talking about, i keep my original game discs in good condition by doing just that: applying cracks on games that i actually bought :-P

I guess Steam is one of those things that works well when it works, but you keep your fingers crossed it doesn't stop working.

Les
02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks Chivas and Urizen. I'd have to see if using the beta patches on the original version of the sim would work, as the official final patches weren't available outside of Steam as far as I know. Probably wouldn't work, but I might give it a try at some point.

Edit - Just saw Blackdog's post about the cumulative, not incremental nature of the patches/updates. So it looks like I could only roll back from a current beta to it's preceding official version, or roll forward from an older official version to the beta that immediately followed it. Still, I do wonder if that applies to individual elements within the beta patches. Not going to hack into anything, but maybe some user accessible stuff can actually be copied back and forth without messing up the core game itself. I don't know.

Ideally, the final non-beta patches would have been provided for download by the developers as well as the beta versions. That way you'd still have to use a legitimate Steam copy as your base, and could just roll backwards and forwards to your hearts content, not having to rely on downloading the whole content from Steam (and only the latest version of it) and saving it every time.

FFCW_Urizen
02-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I know what i'm talking about, i keep my original game discs in good condition by doing just that: applying cracks on games that i actually bought :-P

psst, don´t let the lawyers see that, as it is still illegal :mrgreen:

Flanker35M
02-03-2012, 06:56 AM
S!

I do not mind Steam or whatever as long as I can have a hardcopy of my game :)