PDA

View Full Version : Major Absence - Canterbury Cathedral

Jack Morris
01-17-2012, 11:04 PM
One of the biggest things missing in CoD is Canterbury Cathedral. I just wondered, is there any chance of this up and coming in the next patch? Even Wings of Prey included it, which left me flying over Canterbury in CoD for 10 minutes thinking that I was in the wrong town. Thanks for replies!

Jack

Chivas
01-18-2012, 12:12 AM
One of the biggest things missing in CoD is Canterbury Cathedral. I just wondered, is there any chance of this up and coming in the next patch? Even Wings of Prey included it, which left me flying over Canterbury in CoD for 10 minutes thinking that I was in the wrong town. Thanks for replies!

Jack

Canterbury , and St Pauls Cathedral are both needed as major landmarks. I don't think you will see them modeled now by the development team as they are far to busy at this time, but I think they will eventually be modeled by third party's. Wings of Prey did include Canterbury, but it was one of the few buildings and I think the only city modeled on their tiny map.

Verhängnis
01-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Aren't their legal issues that had to be sorted for the inclusion of historical landmarks and buildings, just like some of them can't actually be destroyed or damaged?

JG52Krupi
01-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Aren't their legal issues that had to be sorted for the inclusion of historical landmarks and buildings, just like some of them can't actually be destroyed or damaged?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, resistance (ps3 game) had a church, forget which, in the game and there was a bit of a furor about what happens.

klem
01-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Well I hope that such buildings which are part of our history and, regardless of technical ownership, are culturally 'ours' won't suffer from such stupidity, or narrow minded short sightedness. I do think its a good idea if some are indestructible, like St Paul's cathedral and Cologne Cathedral (should that map ever be produced) as they survived the war intact if a bit scarred.

Ze-Jamz
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Yes there is

Geronimo989
01-18-2012, 10:15 AM
I bet there are many people in the community who are able to make 3d models and/or textures of buildings as good as existing CLOD ones. When they fix the bigger problems in the game, I hope the devs contact the talented guys int the community about including their models. I bet it is not much work for a developer to import existing 3d model of a building to a map, if the model and texture are made by existing guidelines.
Same cannot be said about airplanes, because the level of detail CLOD achieved with them can only be matched by the best modelers.

335th_GRAthos
01-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Go away Jack,

You are probably the only person who can fly in London with full details.... LOL ;)

But I have a nice video for you:
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover - FPS test in hardware change from GTX275 to GTX580 graphics card
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgqr41HA8YA&feature=plcp&context=C34d0612UDOEgsToPDskIomQ4lzMSmN6dCRahCswIz

Look the second part (after he installed the GTX580) and the detail while taxiing around the streets...

~S~

von Pilsner
01-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes there is

Care to tell us what they are?

Jack Morris
01-18-2012, 06:30 PM
You are probably the only person who can fly in London with full details.... LOL ;)
~S~

Which brings me to a problem on the forums, how do I edit my details, signature etc?

Look the second part (after he installed the GTX580) and the detail while taxiing around the streets...
~S~

That brings me onto another thing I will be posting about shortly, keep your eyes peeled in the vehicles thread for tomorrow!

And thanks for the video!

speculum jockey
01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
I was wondering what I missed more from this sim.

1. Fun missions.
2. 64bit exe
3. DX11
4. Stutter-Free gameplay
5. Those day/week long online battles Oleg bragged about.
6. The memory-leak being addressed.
7. More flyable aircraft.
8. Caterbury Cathedral
9. Proper AI/Radio commands

Hmmmmmm. . . . GOT to be #8. ;)

von Pilsner
01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Same legal issues as designing a piece of software using someone else's code or properties without permission.

Software is usually a licensing issue and I doubt old buildings are licensed.

Cars are branded (and the companies are still in business) so I understand why you can not use a Ford and call it a Ford, but historic architecture likeness being contested does not seem to make sense to me. I have seen old buildings in other games, are they paying license fees to someone to show Big Ben? or Parliament? Google street view does not pay anyone to use building likeness (but you can petition to have your building not show up if wanted) so I am curious how that works.

I actually can not find anything on building likeness usage on the internet so I'm asking here.

LoBiSoMeM
01-18-2012, 08:37 PM

Cars are branded (and the companies are still in business) so I understand why you can not use a Ford and call it a Ford, but historic architecture likeness being contested does not seem to make sense to me. I have seen old buildings in other games, are they paying license fees to someone to show Big Ben? or Parliament? Google street view does not pay anyone to use building likeness (but you can petition to have your building not show up if wanted) so I am curious how that works.

I actually can not find anything on building likeness usage on the internet so I'm asking here.

Because this issue don't exist.

1C/MG just don't do the models of these buildings.

I'm a little bit tired of all these "excuses". Ok, 1C/MG don't do these models, someone can do. But this "they don't do because they can't"... :rolleyes:

I hope that russian buildings aren't "copyrighted"...

Bye!

speculum jockey
01-18-2012, 08:37 PM

If they were, Google Earth (3D Building option) would be sued for billions.

Osprey
01-18-2012, 09:36 PM
A far more important landmark is Selhurst Park, as it was when everything was black and white

http://www.oldstratforduponavon.com/sitebuilder/images/crystalpalace22-472x312.jpg

Think I may have to model it one day :)

klem
01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
A far more important landmark is Selhurst Park, as it was when everything was black and white

http://www.oldstratforduponavon.com/sitebuilder/images/crystalpalace22-472x312.jpg

Ouch! Memories!
I'm not a big football follower but I remember being about 10 and my Dad and Brother-in-law took me to see a local derby, Crystal Palace playing Millwall at Selhurst Park (interpret that as "Atilla the Hun and his mates meets Ghengis Khan's mob with hangovers"). We stood on this side of the pitch about halfway up the terraces just where the right hand edge of the photo is. I nearly suffocated in the crush to get out through those big gates after the match. It didn't strike me as a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, the photo would be a good reference for as it was during the war because it was still the same when I was there.

SEE
01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Various Cathedrals, Monuments, Castles are shown on WOP maps- any that don't appear in CloD is probably for one reason - they weren't included rather than for any legal issues. Stonehenge, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the Castle at Dover, etc, do.

Its a big map - can you really expect that level of detail regards landmarks and where do you draw the line for what, and what not, to include?

speculum jockey
01-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Various Cathedrals, Monuments, Castles are shown on WOP maps- any that don't appear in CloD is probably for one reason - they weren't included rather than for any legal issues. Stonehenge, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the Castle at Dover, etc, do.

Its a big map - can you really expect that level of detail regards landmarks and where do you draw the line for what, and what not, to include?

Mrs. McAllister's flower bed at the end of her driveway has been omitted!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! :evil:

Ze-Jamz
01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Lol

icarus
01-18-2012, 11:49 PM

Well I'd draw the line that St Paul's should have been there, St. Paul's was probably the biggest architectural icon in WW2, certainly bigger than the Senate House which they included in CoD. Most people would not even notice if that was missing. Its a glaring oversight like forgetting the Empire State Building in New York and rendering Grand Central Terminal instead.

SEE
01-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Well, look on the bright side!

The most referred to Land marks are all there (in MP!)

1 Hawkinge (where sitting ducks can be found)

2. Mansgate (where more Allied sitting ducks can be found)

3. Limp-pony (an American bestowed descriptor) where additional Allied Sitting ducks can be had.

4 The French Point and The English Point.

5. Calais Marque (for Axis Sitting ducks).

6. and finally, Phoney Island! Axtually it's a GFX glitch but has become an essential landmark for non UK players in aiding their navigation!"

Don't recall ever flying over London in MP so never noticed missing landmarks..:grin:.

Jack Morris
01-19-2012, 12:34 AM

Also, British Stately homes are missing from the game, there is usually one near each village. (Here is a typical example of one found within the map area)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R0T4HFETJxI/Tg2hN4h5NAI/AAAAAAAABVA/YdPhDhU_dMQ/s1600/wilton%2Bhouse.jpg

Jack Morris
01-19-2012, 12:39 AM
certainly bigger than the Senate House which they included in CoD.
Flew over that the other day and thought it was a prison. :lol:

Jack Morris
01-19-2012, 12:44 AM
And I know some of you guys are treating this as a bit of a joke, But I just wonder how they managed to put a church in almost every town and village, but managed to not include the two most famous Cathedrals in England (St. Paul's, Canterbury, Canterbury Cathedral is certainly the most famous building in Kent, the Battle of Britain County) London looks good anyway, but Canterbury just looks like a bunch of buildings put together.

And by the way, how the heck do I edit my signature?

icarus
01-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Well, look on the bright side!

The most referred to Land marks are all there (in MP!)

1 Hawkinge (where sitting ducks can be found)

2. Mansgate (where more Allied sitting ducks can be found)

3. Limp-pony (an American bestowed descriptor) where additional Allied Sitting ducks can be had.

4 The French Point and The English Point.

5. Calais Marque (for Axis Sitting ducks).

6. and finally, Phoney Island! Axtually it's a GFX glitch but has become an essential landmark for non UK players in aiding their navigation!"

Don't recall ever flying over London in MP so never noticed missing landmarks..:grin:.

Agreed, but you have to admit St. Paul's missing is a big blunder. Like forgetting the Eiffel Tower in Paris but modelling the Madeliene.

No145_Hatter
01-19-2012, 04:57 AM

Seems a bit much to expect them to include a public toilet...;)

klem
01-19-2012, 07:07 AM

And by the way, how the heck do I edit my signature?

Select UserCP at the top of this page.

Select 'Edit my signature' down the left hand side under 'Settings and Options'

Here's what mine looks like in there.....

klem
56 Squadron RAF "Firebirds"

[url ]http://firebirds.2ndtaf.org.uk/[/url ]

the [url] is the address of our Squad website except I put a space between the l and the ] so you could see it in this post. (Don't put a space in.)
The [SIGPIC] is what gets added when you upload a graphic for your sig.

salmo
01-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Jack
Get grip Jack. There are far more important game aspects to be improved/fixed than worrying about a missing Canterbury Cathedral.

JVM
01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Get grip Jack. There are far more important game aspects to be improved/fixed than worrying about a missing Canterbury Cathedral.

For you maybe...but the immersion given by the feeling you are geographically there is no less important, and has no bearing on the resolution of what you consider glaring issues (and they may be, I have no doubt).
We just need the SDK to begin correcting or completing the map (and I believe a dedicated team with the agreement of MG will need to do it and this will take a lot of time, but the potential for success is important).

Then everyone will understand that the German airfields were verrry different from their representation in the game (like 75% smaller sometimes), and that trees do not grow on docks, but cranes do...among other things!

I do not think the map was really completed the way it was envisioned...it was just begun, and no time was left to finish it, for various reasons (the guy(s) in charge gone, sick, fired, who knows...)...On the French side, I would state the completion status at 10%, no more, without including the mistakes to be corrected ;-).

I anticipate a lot of fun doing this (I hope I could be part of that team...)!

JVM

salmo
01-20-2012, 01:52 AM
<snip> ... We just need the SDK to begin correcting or completing the map <snip> ...
I agree with you there. When the SDK's are released the community will be able to improve & develop the game, leaving the dev's to work on improving the game core & expansions.

Osprey
01-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Ouch! Memories!
I'm not a big football follower but I remember being about 10 and my Dad and Brother-in-law took me to see a local derby, Crystal Palace playing Millwall at Selhurst Park (interpret that as "Atilla the Hun and his mates meets Ghengis Khan's mob with hangovers"). We stood on this side of the pitch about halfway up the terraces just where the right hand edge of the photo is. I nearly suffocated in the crush to get out through those big gates after the match. It didn't strike me as a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, the photo would be a good reference for as it was during the war because it was still the same when I was there.

Are you a Palace fan klem? (not that you are a football fan you say). My dad was working as a steward at a Palace vs Millwall match (Good vs Evil) in the 60's and it had kicked off with loads of people still outside, so he opened the gates on the corner (the gates in the picture) and let about 1000 in for free!

The Arthur Waite stand was built in about 1969 I believe, and is still there today.

Osprey
01-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Seems a bit much to expect them to include a public toilet...;)

Grrr! Hatter! Damn you Brighton HA!

Listen my Seaweed chum, you should be particularly gutted that the Goldstone Ground isn't on the map especially as it isn't on the map today and looks better as a Tesco car park lol ;)

Anyway, the thing I really want to say to you is "FFS MURRAY!!" :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz94prjruuI

EEEAAGGLLLEEESSS!!!!!

klem
01-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Mmmmmm.... I'll have to tread a bit carefully here I as moved from Penge to a few miles West of Brighton. Not that I'm a Brighton fan, any more than a Crystal Palace fan, but if Osprey's thinking if bombing the Seagulls.... well.... I might be a bit too close shopping at Asda's. Can you avoid Wednesdays Osprey?

You know I have a vague recollection of some fracas outside the grounds when the fans couldn't get in. Wonder if it was the same occasion?

Roblex
10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
My pet gripe is that they have modelled the tiny Rochester commercial dock that has no relevance to WW2 but left out Chatham Royal Navy Dockyard that was situated about 5 miles North of Rochester and would have been full of warships all through WW2!

planespotter
10-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Bck to the OP, you would also have to remodel the hard coded roads and houses to place Cathedral in Canterbury. Here what happens if you try to place a Cathedral (not THE Cathedral) near real location. You can't because it would overlap with houses and roads, there is not Cathedral sized 'vacant space' in right location.

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww152/whirlybirda2a/Seelowe/sealion1400001.jpg

Redroach
11-01-2012, 09:03 AM
looks cool, anyways :D

I want the HMS Victory! (assuming it wasn't moved from portsmouth during the BoB)
!!

Toni74
11-03-2012, 10:28 AM
there are trees growing on the lunenburg station's rooftops :D

Roblex
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Apart from the Cathedral, Canterbury looks quite striking from the air because it is a walled city. When I went looking for it on the COD map I was not entirely sure which half-hearted blob of buildings on the river was supposed to be Canterbury.

major_setback
11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww152/whirlybirda2a/Seelowe/sealion1400001.jpg

That looks very good. It's not too unbelievable. There are some Cathedrals that are close to other buildings.

Canterbury:
http://www.aerialphotographerkent.com/images/large/canterbury-cathedral.jpg.

Lichfield:
http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/d/46989-2/LichfieldCathedral_CRW1678.jpg

fruitbat
11-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I was initially surprised that they never had Reculver towers on the map, since they've only been there for 2000 years and are a landmark on the north Kent coast you can see for miles.

Now i'm less surprised.

http://www.picturesofengland.com/img/L/1069780.jpg