PDA

View Full Version : Lets hear your positive 4.11 comments!!!

Kittle
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Yes, there are some bugs in there, we all know that. I must say that the time I have spent in game has been the best IL2 flying I have ever had.

Fired up a career with JG52 on the southern front, in my trusty Bf-109G-6. We ran into some ruskies, in Laggs and La-5s and a dog fight started. Believe this or not, but an element of Laggs actually left the fight, gained some alt, and came back with an advantage!!! This is the kind of update that makes IL2 a brand new game IMHO. Even the oldest stock careers are now going to play totally different. When you meet an enemy aircraft, there is going to be a decent chance that this guy is going to really give you a run for your money. With the old AI I had a dogfight with an Ace Yak-3 during a campaign and it was a 15 minute, no holds barred, dog fight. I won by the skin of my teeth, but with the new AI, I might have lost by the skin of my arse!!!

I haven't tried it yet, but early war dogfights in the Pacific should be MUCH more challenging now!!! I always had an easy time with Zero in my F4F, as they wouldn't fly their aircraft with any smarts what so ever.l Now, I feel that the time of Wildcat 6 kill missions versus veteran Zero pilots is over and done!!!

Haven't flown any new birds yet, but shot down some TBDs and it was a blast. The Ki-45 is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Can't wait till she is flyable! The Z 506 is very well done too, and the new flyable ruskie bombers are works of art. This is no longer just a WWII combat flight sim, it is THE WWII combat flight sim to which all others will have to compare!!!

T}{OR
01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Lets be honest, the chances are high there will be a hotfix. Especially with so many features introduced.

So far I have only positive comments about the game. From the new AI that is now actually fun to fight against to proper gunners that don't waste ammo and shoot in the opposite direction from a threat (and at friendlies at the same time).

Bomb fuse options are a blast. :)

And Pe-8 / IL-4 pits a work of art compared to the franken plane pits like B-17 which is down right horrid.

Smart axis is super useful for flying bombers and taxiing. This any many more difficulty options should have been implemented long time ago.

And engine management now actually makes sense. For example, overheating while flying a Mustang is now forcing me to fly according to the real procedures which in the end makes this a faster / deadlier plane.

Thank you TD for your hard work in your free time. IMO this game has just been resurrected and I am sure will offer what no other sim can for many more years to come.

Now all I need is that B-24 for perfection. :)

JG26_EZ
01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Over the years, I have built my missions with more and more "vet" AI. Team missions which gives the players a 50/50 chance of being able to finish off all of the enemy before returning to base. I've now hosted five missions since installing v4.11, and I end up being treated like a new inmate at a prison by all of the AI heh. Not complaining, but now they really know how to "dance".

So now I have to reconsider the normal 1:3 aircraft, and possibly bumping more down to "average" than I'm used to.

This is a good thing :). Less aircraft that I have to add.

NeroMoura
01-13-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm having a blast! The new AI improvements did improve the whole flight experience. I feel like the proverbial mosquito in a nudist colony! I hardly know where to begin!

I'm thinking of replaying the "Enterprise" Campaign and see what happens. I'm thinking it'll rock even more. But I think I'll test some more random beasts before I fire up any new campaigns. It's really hard to decide.

Only once I had the now infamous CTD, but I'm sure a hotfix is in the works.

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
01-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Haha thanks guys, it is really fun and a pleasure to read. Believe me, I got my backside filled by AI with honorless things too and feel now like a real John Doe. But lately I felt, that I gain some more room against the new AI though. SO ITS STILL POSSIBLE TO LEARN! :D

BTW: if you are sensible enough, you can even tell, when their engine is cooking! Suddenly they seem to get weak... something I never felt before.

P.S.: You see, I'm just a player too.

F19_Klunk
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
And engine management now actually makes sense. For example, overheating while flying a Mustang is now forcing me to fly according to the real procedures which in the end makes this a faster / deadlier plane.

Hear hear!

The AI behaviour is definately different... I have only managed a few dogfights, but how refreshing is was to close in on a AI's six and he did NOT barrelroll diving to deck.... he actually made a chandelle!!

The Soviet heavier are fantastic and CEM refreshing... wil find out eventually if it is harder than in CoD

thank you for great effort

Lagarto
01-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Thank you (also) for the less obvious things like the new default skins, which finally made the a/c on the ground look good, and the variety of company-sized columns of armor and vehicles. Hs 123 is beautiful.

Force10
01-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Downloaded and installed into my vanilla 4.10.1 last night. Flew for about an hour before having to go to bed and all seemed great! Can't wait to get off work and try out some campaigns and watch this shine!

Great Work TD!

Treetop64
01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Too many to name, really.

Deservedly, a million people will mention the AI improvements, and the positive comments are merited. Changes the game in a big way.

The new Eastern Front skins are lovely. Not only do they look great, but for the Luftwaffe the attention to detail of the skins is consistent from one type to another, and also through several different planes of a series production type. It doesn't look like twelve different artists did the skins, and they all look like they belong to the same group, without being identical. I can't tell you how important that is, to have that kind of consistency with the default skins. In particular, there is no analogy to help describe how badly the Ju-52, Fi-156, and the Fw-189 needed new skins; they were ancient, since the Forgotten Battles days. Bravo to those involved!

The inclusion of the old TBD, even if it is AI only. At last the early war US Navy carrier decks are now complete. And boy, does it gook great!

Flew around in the IL-4 and Pe-8. Can't be helped but to be mightily impressed by work put into the cockpits of these machines, and by the Pe-8's overall makeover. As many others have said, they are indeed works of art.

The improved, appropriately indicating engine instruments (of the planes that I've flown thus far). I've flown without the HUD indications for years, and I can't tell you how nice it is to finally, finally have properly indicating engine instruments again. Thank you!

The 5DoF head movement for even us non-Track-IR, "mouse head" users (and the associated cockpit fixes - I-153, etc.). Can even hit a button to enable sticking the head out the side of the cockpit a little bit - though, perhaps not as far as I'd like - while taxiing. Very thoughtful implementation, and very much appreciated. The new head buffeting effects are cool, too, especially at the moment of recovering from a stall or spin. Quite a jarring experience!

Man, I could go on, but I have things to do, so I gotta stop. :)

_RAAF_Smouch
01-13-2012, 10:53 PM
as yet....

1. NO CTD's!!!

2. Enjoy the extra hard work you now need on surviving. I ran a QMB of 4 Mk IXe Spits against 4 Fw 190A5's. Within 30 seconds of the action I had my backside handed to me, with the AI set at Veteran.

Love the work guys.

JimmyBlonde
01-14-2012, 12:12 AM
No more magic carpet rides for the AI! Really! They actually no longer do their UFO climb into the stratosphere and suck all the fun out of offline flying.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1647/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1647R-44154.jpg

Apart from waving goodbye to Mr Magic Carpet they also seem to be much more competent all round.

and 6DoF!!

I'm impressed.

Silverback
01-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Thanks TD for keeping our sim alive. No problems at all so far.

Guggy
01-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Loving the AI! Just overshot an I16 and bled too much energy bouncing from high, so had him open up at 400 or so meters. Went inverted and rolled over and he couldnt keep up with me once I had accelerated a bit in a dive. By the time I pulled up at a few hundred meters with friends en route, he was over a kilometer and a half away and desperately trying to catch me, before breaking off for another target once he fell behind 2km.

Loving this sim! :)

TomcatViP
01-14-2012, 06:40 AM
My training mission is either me against a duo or a quartet of aces.

For the first time since Il2 exist I have now to engage the wingmen in the same time as their leader. They behave realistically now trying to nail you for real !

At ace level their attack feel somewhat too much coordinated but ace they are isn't it ;)

Waiting for our beloved server to do the switch that we can see how it impart online play.

Thx to TD team. Hats off !

Feathered_IV
01-14-2012, 07:09 AM
The new AI is fantastic. And the 6oF.... amazing. The incredible amount of work that has gone into remodelling the cockpits (Ki-61 is a prime example) to add missing details is just tremendous. Had a little CTD in quick missions, but so what :)

Bearcat
01-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Yes, there are some bugs in there, we all know that. I must say that the time I have spent in game has been the best IL2 flying I have ever had.

Fired up a career with JG52 on the southern front, in my trusty Bf-109G-6. We ran into some ruskies, in Laggs and La-5s and a dog fight started. Believe this or not, but an element of Laggs actually left the fight, gained some alt, and came back with an advantage!!! This is the kind of update that makes IL2 a brand new game IMHO. Even the oldest stock careers are now going to play totally different. When you meet an enemy aircraft, there is going to be a decent chance that this guy is going to really give you a run for your money. With the old AI I had a dogfight with an Ace Yak-3 during a campaign and it was a 15 minute, no holds barred, dog fight. I won by the skin of my teeth, but with the new AI, I might have lost by the skin of my arse!!!

I haven't tried it yet, but early war dogfights in the Pacific should be MUCH more challenging now!!! I always had an easy time with Zero in my F4F, as they wouldn't fly their aircraft with any smarts what so ever.l Now, I feel that the time of Wildcat 6 kill missions versus veteran Zero pilots is over and done!!!

Haven't flown any new birds yet, but shot down some TBDs and it was a blast. The Ki-45 is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Can't wait till she is flyable! The Z 506 is very well done too, and the new flyable ruskie bombers are works of art. This is no longer just a WWII combat flight sim, it is THE WWII combat flight sim to which all others will have to compare!!!

This sim has been just that for quite some time already.... :-)

shc_04
01-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Overall i think this patch is the most comprehensive. The AI and engine improvements really stepped up the realism. Also il-4 was a really important plane to miss.

Thank you TD.

Flip
01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
I uninstalled my previous modded IL-2 setup just to test 4.11 and this is what ive encountered so far:

-First I ran the missions which frustrated me in 4.10.1. This german B-17 intercept mission in a FW-190 A8 over normandy for example. In the old version everytime my AI-flight saw the bombers, they attacked regardless of my orders. Now they kept the formation until I gave the orders :!:

-After I gave the attack order, I could see my flight struggling with me to reach the altitute of the bombers :!:. In 4.10.1 I was pissed everytime when I saw them zooming away and reaching unbelievable speeds in a short time

-The gunners in the B-17 are much more realistic imho. Can´t hit you when you´re moving fast :!:. I ran a test in 4.10.1 once: Me-262 with 700km crossed the path of a B17 at 90°, roughly 800-1000m behind it. I was hit 90 percent of the time. This was ridiculous. So thumbs up here.

-The texture for the high clouds :!:. In the old version (especially when you had your visibility distance set to 72km) you could see this "ugly" repetitive sky texture. Now Daidalos improved this -> VERY NICE

and and and ....

It feels a little bit like a new game. Best patch ever. Period

Bearcat
01-14-2012, 05:19 PM
The 6DoF is great ... much more realistic to me than any modded version. If the stock version had a few more Mustang variants I'd fly stock excliusively. It seems to me that the Mustang is a bit more stable.. I like the AI ... I have to fly more to get a more detailed look .. but so far from what I have seen .. I like it.

Kittle
01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
It really does feel like a new game, I agree with that statement 1000%!!! I would have paid money for this patch, and not like $5 for some of the crappy DLC you get out there, I would have put down what I paid for IL2'46 in the first place, $30 USD just for this patch.

I just flew a QB dogfight, 4 Veteran P-38Js vs 4 Average Ki-45 Hei. It was a brawl. I started with the advantage, on the 'perch' above and behind. What do the Ki's do, well they split into elements and break INTO my attack, bravo gents!!!! One single aircraft lagged behind however, seemed a little less capable then the others, this became my target. I hadn't let the flight off the leash yet so they were strung out behind me covering the rear. The other three Ki's swung around and pursued the whole flight. As I closed on the single Ki, the others closed on my #4 and started firing. I gave the order to engage and the dogfight started. I hit the Ki with my .50s and smoke began pouring from the right side engine. The pilot started doing defensive barrel rolls to give the gunner a shot, but the G's were too much and he missed.

Now, here I thought, "oh that same old AI behavior", right??? Wrong!!!! The action seemed to have purpose, control, reason. The rolls weren't in a straight ling, he kept changing his course throughout. I had givin him up for dead the closer to the water he got, and just as I broke away PLOW he levels up and goes into the vertical!!! Well, I was in no position to follow to I kept my turn. The guys fighter was too shot up to fight, and he crashed while RTB.

The next dogfight was even better, showing the AIs ability to adapt. It was in the same flight against the enemy flight lead. He actually managed to turn the tide after being bounced, made a couple head ons, and generally kept me below him and at bay. I got lucky and pegged him with a snap shot of 20mm right before we started a rolling scissors, then he in turn pegged me. Then zoom climbed to make a diving attack. That's when I had my very first, and so far only, CTD.

WoW TD, you have really done it this time. Kids, say good bye to Daddy for a little while..... lol :)

stovak
01-14-2012, 11:31 PM
The 6dof feels like the best thing to have happened to il2 since it came out. When an enemy moves behind the broad girders of my Bf109 canopy, instead of losing him, I simply move my head a few inches and keep him in sight. So simple, but it's a beautiful and wondrous thing :grin:

I don't even have TIR, but using the mouse to look and a hat-switch for the head movement works perfectly. The new eye-position camera movement is a great improvement on it's own, and feels more natural than the old version.

The new AI routines are brilliant, enough said.

Using Static Aircraft as spawn-points, and leaving your aircraft where you park it - fantastic ideas, I never would have imagined that to be possible. I don't suppose there is any way to use custom skins on the statics?

The option to only allow externals while you are on the ground is very welcome, and I'm sure many will say long overdue, though now we have 6dof, it's perhaps less necessary than it used to be :-) Personally I'd like to allow the F8 view as well as the F2, as in F2 it can be a little awkward (for those without rudder pedals) to keep the view behind your plane with one hand while handling the throttle and steering with the other.

Overall, superb and then some. I thank all of you who have put so much time and effort into it!

Crosstalker
01-14-2012, 11:38 PM
I haven't downloaded or tried it out yet, but so far all of my friends' comments in HyperLobby have been VERY positive. Sounds like a very good release by TD!

koivis
01-15-2012, 12:07 AM
As a guy who enjoys air racing & bombing & anything with big guns, the new patch is just pure awesomeness. The old 'overheat fot a certain time-cool until normal-overheat-repeat' thing was getting a bit boring in the racing, but now the engines really work (and sometimes don't work) like they should. The ambient temperature is a huge deal now, on Gulf of Finland winter map no-one was able to break the engine at high speed, but on the moderate Slovakia Summer map, it was a spectacular show of splashing oil, boiling water and jammed pistons!:grin:

And then the new planes... the Pe-8 is one of the most majestic, ugly, and brutal aircraft ever, and now it's perfectly modelled here. Same for the Il-4 & the Tse-Tse Mossie...:cool:

Haven't tried the AI yet, but from what i hear, it's great. Keep up the good work!

Treetop64
01-15-2012, 04:44 AM
A milestone has been reached with v4.11.

In pursuing an AI enemy, firing at him, and scoring hits (just a few non-critical, rifle-caliber hits), this is the first time I've ever seen AI - in any flight sim or game I've ever played - react by actually panicking and turning too hard, stalling, spinning, and recovering. I actually cheered after seeing that, thinking "Wow! I can't count how many times I reacted like that when being shot at!".

I've seen lower skill level flights of AI scatter and run when being bounced.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I've noticed the AI is no longer content with doing aerobatics in front of you in an effort to be a difficult a target as possible. Now they consistently make honest efforts to get on your tail, at all skill levels, with the corresponding levels of flying proficiency per skill level.

It's not quite perfect, as I've still seen some goofy behavior, like one lone AI pilot not immediately involved in combat, flying inverted for nearly a minute before correcting himself. Neverthless, this AI is good. They actually perform like human pilots.

TD nailed it.

JG26_EZ
01-15-2012, 05:06 AM
I've seen ..... one lone AI pilot not immediately involved in combat, flying inverted...

I think the AI dropped his cigarette. ;)

Kittle
01-15-2012, 05:28 AM
The had something bout that in the guide, I haven't seen it yet, but AI pilots will roll over on their back to get a look below them! :) Got to keep that SA up. The comment about the AI trying to attack instead of not die is spot on. Dogfights don't seem to take as long either. Things are fast and violent after the first few turns more often then not. I think this is a better representation then what we had previous. Just about every book on this fighter ace or that, the biography of Erich Hartmann being the most recent to me, will tell you that 80% of the kills they earned never knew what hit them!

I can not imagine having to do this for real within the first 40 missions or so. When I was young and started MMO flight sims, I was killed so many times in a row it was sickening. WWII did not give that opportunity, many noobs had to die in flames for the other 20% of the airforce can claim the other 70% of kills scored throughout the war. Those numbers are the USAAF in the South Pacific. The way it was written out in the book, the fighter pilots who broke the back of the Japanese air fleets had 3 kill markings on the side of his aircraft. That's the top 30%, the other 70% had 2 or less, crazy to think of.

Sorry, I ramble. That book is "Fire in the Sky: Air War over the South Pacific". Awesome read, the author slips my mind, but he wrote another book in the same vein covering the ground war in the South Pacific. I love both, great stuff!!!

Tuphlandng
01-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Great thread should have been started a long time ago. Team Diablo have always done an awesome job. There efforts keep this Old Game flying. After installing 4.11 in a clean 4.10 I have had no problems. Great work and Thank you for all that you guys and Gals have done for the IL 2 community

I/JG27_Zimmi
01-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Excellent work on 4.11, nothing more to say. However one small issue that confuses me is the ability of the IL-4 to perform several loopings without any cognizable sign of over-G, E-loss or stall (FR settings). Just open a quick mission, level the plane out to gain speed and pull the stick back. The stall recovery characteristics seem to be pretty good compared to other planes of that size as well. Perhaps someone could confirm this.

Lagarto
01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
I have another positive comment to make - the two new masking nets in the FMB are excellent, even a Fw 200 fits in under the bigger one.
Also, the red-orange neon 'MISSION COMPLETE' thing is gone, or so it seems. Anyone confirm? I'm being shot down by the new AI so often I'm not sure if I managed to 'complete' any mission so far :)

Fenice_1965
01-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I also think that this release is one of the best ever in the IL2 history.
6dof is the best I've ever tried in any simulation...better than CLOD for me.

MR_G
01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
It's great that ships take a lot longer to sink. Even longer would be better.

I also noticed that carriers take a heavy list, after torp damage. Makes it hard to land, without busting your gear.

All we need now, is for the gun crews to abandon ship, before sinking..(just kidding)

Kittle
01-15-2012, 03:40 PM
About the IL-4, I have noticed something else different about her. When you attack a formation of them, they drop ordnance and dogfight!!! I noticed green 7.62 tracers flying by my 190 and it was an IL-4 nose gunner. The IL-4 was almost vertical chasing me while he was firing. Has the same AI routine as the A-20, as that's another bird that will fight you if you attack it.

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
01-15-2012, 03:57 PM
All we need now, is for the gun crews to abandon ship, before sinking..(just kidding)

This is far from being impossible. ;)

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
01-15-2012, 03:58 PM
About the IL-4, I have noticed something else different about her. When you attack a formation of them, they drop ordnance and dogfight!!! I noticed green 7.62 tracers flying by my 190 and it was an IL-4 nose gunner. The IL-4 was almost vertical chasing me while he was firing. Has the same AI routine as the A-20, as that's another bird that will fight you if you attack it.

Wrong place but thanks... will investigate.

Treetop64
01-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I have another positive comment to make - the two new masking nets in the FMB are excellent, even a Fw 200 fits in under the bigger one.
Also, the red-orange neon 'MISSION COMPLETE' thing is gone, or so it seems. Anyone confirm? I'm being shot down by the new AI so often I'm not sure if I managed to 'complete' any mission so far :)

Nope. Still there.

NeroMoura
01-15-2012, 04:49 PM
It's great that ships take a lot longer to sink. Even longer would be better.

I also noticed that carriers take a heavy list, after torp damage. Makes it hard to land, without busting your gear.

Don't forget the sharks!! :grin:

(Just kidding as well)

IceFire
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM

That's interesting. Did this happen on any of the single missions that came with 4.11? I designed those missions and played them dozens of times in testing. Never happened to me... I'm just wondering what circumstances there were when that happened! :)

Kittle
01-15-2012, 05:37 PM
@ IceFire - I played the torpedo mission first thing when I loaded 4.11! Had one of my best IL2 moments EVER, killed a 109 making a run of the squad leader from the IL-4 top turret, it was a sweet kill, fire ball and all that.

Anyway, I digress. The circumstances were as such; QB battle over the Kuban, I am flying an Fw-190D-9 with 4 total in my flight. Also 4x 109s, we were attacking 4x Yak-9s and 4x IL-4s. The IL-4 were armed with torpedoes. I made a standard atttack from the perch, got some good hits, and flew right through the formation. The #3 got hit bad, and this is when the #4 dropped his ords and engaged me. Throughout the entire fight, IL-4s were attempting to cover their wingmen like fighters do.

I will attempt to repeat this and get a Track or Fraps video.

@ Casper - sorry for that friend, just came to mind on hearing the IL-4 mentioned. If I come across any more strange behavior, it will go in the proper place. :)

Ikarushin
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
As with 4.09 and 4.10, I'm truly amazed at what has been accomplished by Team Daidalos with this 'patch'. Again a new step has been taken to bring Il-2 to an even higher level of realism and fun. I won't mention all the high quality changes and new features I like in 4.11, it's too much.
To see this group of dedicated and professional people investing continuously so much in our hobby for free, is truly heartwarming.
Thanks Team Daidalos, you're a great bunch of people.

With kind regards,
Ikarushin

fruitbat
01-15-2012, 11:12 PM
AI is fantastic now, really really good, hats off gents.

Don't suppose you can program the ai for clod, lol.

Really impressed with the patch.

GF_Mastiff
01-16-2012, 01:34 AM
you guys do somehing with the 50 cals, they seem more deadly now.
Im flaming up 109s, 110s and he111s with ease now.

Tuphlandng
01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
This is far from being impossible. ;)

That would be great. I would love to see sailors flouting around after there ship sunk. Maybe add a PBY to rescue them.

Say in the 4.12 patch ?? Can you do it in 2 weeks?

Just Kidding
Team Diablo Your are the best

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
you guys do somehing with the 50 cals, they seem more deadly now.
Im flaming up 109s, 110s and he111s with ease now.

No. If you feel so, you simply must be a better shooter today. :)

Pursuivant
01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
That would be great. I would love to see sailors flouting around after there ship sunk. Maybe add a PBY to rescue them.

Lifeboats, men in the water, etc. would be interesting for SAR missions.

The only problem is that in some cases float planes and flying boats were prohibited from landing on the open ocean, either due to regulations or due to rough sea conditions which would make it dangerous to land and difficult or impossible to take off again.

If we were to have flyable float plane/flying boat in the game, water textures would need to be modified to simulate different sea states or the effects of near misses from bombs. Currently, regardless of wind speed or weather conditions, ocean waves remain constant with swells of just 1-2 feet, and explosions or airplane crashes don't produce waves.

Spinnetti
01-16-2012, 11:11 PM
I love it! Thanks!

How's that :)

Seriously though, 6DOF feels very polished, and I like the changes in general. I very much appreciate all the hard work by TD and the various "Mod Squads" to keep the game advancing and so much fun to mix and match the best things together.

S!

Tuphlandng
01-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Lifeboats, men in the water, etc. would be interesting for SAR missions.

The only problem is that in some cases float planes and flying boats were prohibited from landing on the open ocean, either due to regulations or due to rough sea conditions which would make it dangerous to land and difficult or impossible to take off again.

If we were to have flyable float plane/flying boat in the game, water textures would need to be modified to simulate different sea states or the effects of near misses from bombs. Currently, regardless of wind speed or weather conditions, ocean waves remain constant with swells of just 1-2 feet, and explosions or airplane crashes don't produce waves.

So it will take lounger then 2 weeks then But until then Seas are calm and sailors don't leave there posts. Just curios Do you actually play IL 2? Or was there a reason for you to pick my post apart

Pursuivant
01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
So it will take lounger then 2 weeks then But until then Seas are calm and sailors don't leave there posts. Just curios Do you actually play IL 2? Or was there a reason for you to pick my post apart

No offense meant. I'd love to see a flyable PBY or Ar-196 and SAR missions myself.

My point is that you need more than just a flyable plane of the right sort to recreate challenging SAR missions like this:

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/veterans/gordon.html

Tuphlandng
01-18-2012, 10:34 PM
No offense meant. I'd love to see a flyable PBY or Ar-196 and SAR missions myself.

My point is that you need more than just a flyable plane of the right sort to recreate challenging SAR missions like this:

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/veterans/gordon.html

LOL Ok But not to make gun crews abandon ship when its sinking

LOL

eduzk
01-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Oh boy. I flew a quick mission at Smolensk, with two 109s to encounter three Hurricanes. There is some time before you meet the enemy, so I moved to the side of the setting sun, and when I spotted the Hurris against the clouds, I maneuvered to their rear without being seen. Started to close in, but they did spot me before it was too late.

I haven't been able to do this kind of stuff since the Flying Corps sim. Stalking FTW!

Kittle
01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Flight simming is one of the only arenas in which stalking is OK!

Tuphlandng
01-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Flight simming is one of the only arenas in which stalking is OK!
LOL suggested

Nice thread kittle Way over due
The work being done by Team Diablos seems to go UN-appreciated at times. I for one what eagerly for there next work. I have only one complaint that is off set by the many many positive improvements with each patch. It is hard to beleave that IL2 is over 11 years old and We have such a great Team creating improvements,for the IL2 community,to this old Sim. And all in 2 weeks Amazing

I for one am truly grateful for all the hard work and dedication

Kittle
01-19-2012, 06:39 PM
LOL, agreed!

That's the reason I created this thread. A lot of 'constructive criticism' gets thrown around after a patch is released with the bugs and what not. I felt those guys needed to see the good things we had to say about their work. What better place then here on their forum area to do so! ;) I myself, I am happy with all of it. The F4U seems a little underpowered, but I am no FM expert and have never flown a real corsair (I have looked in the pit of one in real life though!) so my opinion is just that, an opinion. I will do what I can to find bugs and provide them what they need to eliminate them.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but if you choose the British Corsair Mk.I and choose the USN, USMC, or USAAF as the country you get a very nice navy/marine corp skin to go along with it. A 'stock' bird cage USN corsair, I love it!!!

The new AI is kicking my but all over the place, and I am loving every second of it. Beware that Ki-45, she can maneuver for a heavy fighter.

Tuphlandng
01-19-2012, 08:56 PM
I agree kittle
Sometimes just a thank you works but that isint even enough for what TD are still doing for IL2.
Excellent thread Thanks for starting it

Ra'Kaan
01-20-2012, 09:54 PM
I just got my 4.11+hotfix downloaded and been reading up on many topics on the boards all day and I can't wait to climb in the cockpit. :grin:

Adding 6DoF after so many years of "never gonna happen" is AWESOME:!::!::!:

I've been a TrackIR enthusiast for many years, and getting this added to my favorite WWII sim is the BEST NEWS EVER!!

Many many many cudos to Daidalos Team for their continued enthusiasm to sustaining the work in keeping the patches rolling out for IL-2!!

May have to invest in some form of programmable control panel to work the prop-pitch in a more realistic fashion now that it has a stronger effect on engine performance.

Typed word cannot express my genuine excitement with IL-2's continued growth - Thanks again Daidalos Team !!

Ventura
01-21-2012, 03:41 AM
There are quite a few positive things that I've noticed that are very subtle and very numerous besides whats in the readme.

Very nicely done TD! :)

Kittle
01-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Yes there is Ventura. I am still thrilled that a default USN skin was included for the birdcage british Corsair Mk.I Really unexpected little treat there. Certainly shows the kind of attention to detail that TD shows to our beloved sim. Never in the history of flight simulation has this kind of development been promoted by the original creators. Once the next generation appears, older sims fall by the side of the road, but not IL2, thanks to TD!!!

Blackjack
01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Yesterday I have flown a sortie with a 17 minute! lasting dogfight in my newly started campaign, a fight of 6 mig3u vs 8 E4s, and I honestly say that AI is amazing , after the advantage in the fight shifted towards the Emils the remaining Migs buggered off leaving me behind (covards :)) , but the resulting fight was increadible , with a handfull of ammo my only chance was to hit every remaining four emils engine to ever get out of there alive (absolutely no clouds that day;)), and I did just that , but failed to get one who was much better flier (veteran AI :confused:) the other ones where pretty easy to get.

Then my ammo went out and after he passed me I turned directly into the sun full throttle for as long as I could.....

... and he lost me :cool: and I could get back to base, this all was as intense as some more dedicated online fighting I remember, and all that while managing a damaged plane with g-limits and keeping the engine cool, most incredible !

The best version ever.

P.S.: my offline flying started to die when the "magic 6 o clock break away" was introduced into the AI , most frustrating addition , I think it was someday after Pacific Fighters, I simply hated it with all my guts , now its gone , thanks to team Daidalos !!!

daidalos.team
01-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Again, thank you gentlemen. I guess we will have to work even harder now to make 4.12 comparable to 4.11. :cool:

Blackjack, thanks for sharing your experience. Good read and great fight!

Tuphlandng
01-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Again, thank you gentlemen. I guess we will have to work even harder now to make 4.12 comparable to 4.11. :cool:

Blackjack, thanks for sharing your experience. Good read and great fight!

?? 2 weeks you say??

Treetop64
01-22-2012, 01:37 AM
In another post I raved about how good the new German Eastern Front skins looked, and someone from TD replied, "You're missing something ;)".

I had no idea what he meant by that. I checked out the Russian skins, but they were the same as they were before, which is a good thing, BTW. They still look great. Later I forgot about the comment altogether.

Then I started setting up QMB missions in the MTO map. :mrgreen:

To my surprise, the default skins on German aircraft (the ones appropriate to that theater, BTW. No BF-109 K-14s in Lybia...) change to Mediterranean tan, with the white theater markings! I was expecting this sort of change for Finnish and Allied aircraft as the clock ticks in their respective theaters, but the German Med schemes took me completely by surprise.

I also noticed that when setting up a quick mission in the Fw-190A4, it's scheme changed depending on which map you fly. Splintered/mottled two tone green with yellow theater markings over Russia, or two-tone RLM grey over other maps, with a white theater band over North Africa.

I continue to discover new things with the patch. Yet moar cool elements introduced. :cool:

Pursuivant
01-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Small undocumented features:

- Default decals look better than ever, even compared to 4.101
- Thick, black volumetric smoke for engine and fuel fires.
- Land reflected on water.

Treetop64
01-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Small undocumented features:

- Thick, black volumetric smoke for engine and fuel fires.
- Land reflected on water.

These were not documented because they were already in the sim. The first has been there since Forgotten Battles, or even the original release of the game. It's been so long I can't remember. The second has been in the sim since v4.09 or earlier, whichever patch introduced new water effects.

GopherStibble
01-23-2012, 03:57 AM
Just a quick note of thanks to the Daidalos Team for their hard work. It is greatly appreciated.

maxwellbest
02-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Sorry, I ramble. That book is "Fire in the Sky: Air War over the South Pacific". Awesome read, the author slips my mind, but he wrote another book in the same vein covering the ground war in the South Pacific. I love both, great stuff!!!

Eric Bergerud. Excellent American Historian. Oddly enough, some of the best stuff written about the role of the RAAF and RNZAF as well as the Australian Army in the Pacific has been written by Americans.

AndyJWest
02-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Positive comments about 4.11? I'm positive the AI is fake, and team TD is secretly flying it themselves. ;)

I've just set up a nice little one-on-one in the QMB between me in a P-39, and a 109 E - starting at 3000m on the Slovakia map. Got myself nicely trimmed into a cruise, rads open (I'm paranoid about overheating since the patch) when the 109 appeared. So what did Emil do? Bimbled past, as if he hadn't seen me... Didn't want to fight, eh? I gave chase, trying to sneak up on him from his low six. He know I was there though, and proceeded to start a vertical/horizontal turning fight, which I was winning until I went into an inverted spin. :shock: Heaving back on the stick fixed that - I was now spinning upright instead. ;) Some frantic stick-stirring somehow got me out of it - at about 1000m, over tree-covered foothills. Emil, who'd presumably been watching and waiting, took advantage of my plight, and zoom 'n boomed a few times, before we got back into a turning fight. low over the trees, I nailed him eventually, but only after running out of cannon ammo, and almost colliding with the treetops. If Emil had been an online pilot, I'd have given him a salute - so instead, I salute TD, and in particular, whoever is responsible for adding the extra 'I' to the AI.

P.S. 'average' AI - I'll have to try the same thing against the ace setting - I've a feeling that Emil will be reporting back on the result. ;)

FC99
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks to everybody who shared they positive experiences, as far as AI is concerned there will be more changes in future patches.

KG26_Alpha
02-10-2012, 01:20 PM
As a FMB'r the best v4.11 tweak for me has been the

defFullDX 60.0
defFullDY 100.0

and the

File>Recent missions>

Oh and the

Scroll mouse wheel zoom.

CoD has some good uses :)

Zorin
02-10-2012, 01:24 PM

defFullDX 60.0
defFullDY 100.0

What do these do?

MicroWave
02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
What do these do?

I think they change the size of File Save/Load dialog box in FMB.
They might be in bldconf.ini.

Zorin
02-10-2012, 06:06 PM

Ok, thanks :)

Ra'Kaan
02-10-2012, 06:25 PM
File>Recent missions>

+10 for this one!!! Love love love it!~

KG26_Alpha
02-10-2012, 06:58 PM

defFullDX 60.0
defFullDY 100.0

and the

File>Recent missions>

Oh and the

Scroll mouse wheel zoom.

CoD has some good uses :)

What do these do?

Ok, thanks :)

When ever you open the FMB it re-sizes the File>Open>Loading Mission Panel,
especially useful if you have a lot of missions, as you don't get the tiny box as the default.
The red values above are for my screen 22" 1680x1050

WhistlinggDeath
02-11-2012, 04:39 AM
6 DOF - Awesome
Improved AI - great for all the offliners
New FMB and skins - Very nice

70% of the patch is golden to me.

Treetop64
02-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Just a little AAR after an early Barbarossa mission, one that showed another gem of an AI trait:

"June 24, 1941. Just finished a mission over Lemberg (south-eastern Poland) flying CAP over friendly artillery positions, just east of Pshemyisl. I'm the leader of the second of three schwarms of bf109-F2s.

A Squadron of Soviet SB2s attacks the guns. The leading schwarm spots them first and goes after the bombers. After shooting down two SB2s they go after the escorting enemy fighters (I-16s). I order my wing into an extended line astern formation and we immediately chase after the bombers. The Soviet aircraft were bombing from about 1000-1500 meters, and we spotted them from 4000 meters, so we had a good starting position. The third schwarm goes after more of the fighters.

From a good angle, I order my wing to dive down on the bombers. I pick one and dive down into position. I place my aircraft directly astern and slightly below him, from about 400 meters, so that his rear fuselage blocks his upper rear-facing gun, and he can't get enough positive elevation to aim at me from the lower fuselage gun. As long as he flies straight and level, he can't fire a shot at me. I get in closer and closer before firing, to be sure of a kill. From about 100 meters, just as I'm about to open fire, I observe the gunner's canopy suddenly pop away and fall from the aircraft, then the pilot's! I quickly pull up and bank over to observe the crew jump from their perfectly operational aircraft, as I have not fired a shot!

In the space of five minutes, all known enemy fighters and bombers in the immediate area were destroyed, with no losses for us."

AndyJWest
02-13-2012, 02:39 AM
"Player Heavily Bleeding"! I've just discovered that you can die (or at least pass out) from an injury several minutes after it occurs. Got too close to the 6 of a Bf 110 while flying a Spit in the QMB, and saw the message. My view went a little pink, so I disengaged, and turned for base. After a minute or two, it started getting dark, then black, then impact...

I assume this in new, or maybe I've just been lucky before. Realistic, if a little scary. Maybe I should have bailed out immediately - but would I have died on the way down anyway...

IceFire
02-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Not new... but TD did add in 4.09 specific pilot injuries like legs, arms, etc.

Luno13
02-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Yup, "Realistic Pilot Vulnerability". If you get hit in the legs, rudder control suffers, etc. You can bleed out (I think there are only two rates).

I think it's possible to bleed out while in your chute too, so that if you don't hit "refly" quickly enough, you will be dead by the time you hit the ground... ;)

Good report Treetop. A round of Schnaps for you and your flight :cool: