PDA

View Full Version : Online Squadrons playing CLOD

furbs
01-01-2012, 05:02 PM
What are squads doing so far in CLOD?

Does anyone have much going on or have ideas how we can get something going for sqds to complete in?

fruitbat
01-01-2012, 05:09 PM
What are squads doing so far in CLOD?

Does anyone have much going on or have ideas how we can get something going for sqds to complete in?

We're not doing anything yet, apart from the occasional boring dogfight servers.

Tbh, untill the next patch and the ai/ai communication is improved is there any point in co-ops yet?

JG52Uther
01-01-2012, 05:12 PM
We flew in the JG27 campaign, which was fun, apart from the CTDs, but we have always been an 'online war' squad (VoW, AFW,etc etc) so we wait...

JG5_emil
01-01-2012, 05:20 PM
We tried the JG27 campaign but the CTD ruined much of the fun. We did fly on the dogfight servers a bit but packed that in after the Spit IIs were added again.

ga_332
01-01-2012, 05:27 PM
The squad have bean stand down since relaese of CLOD, we are still awaiting new updtes so we can fly CO-OP`s and are looking forward when this is possible ;)

ACE-OF-ACES
01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Wasn't it just last weekend that ATAG had a big mission on Sat? I missed it due to the hollidays.. How did that go?

ATAG_Dutch
01-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Wasn't it just last weekend that ATAG had a big mission on Sat? I missed it due to the hollidays.. How did that go?

Here you go mate. Pages 7, 8 and 9 give feedback.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28470&page=7

ATAG's server number 2 is set up with bombing objectives for both sides.

It'd be great if some squads could meet up there at certain times/days. Maybe after the holidays something could be set up. :)

Sven
01-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Till the CTD's are fixed we're just playing on ATAG, regular trainings for the new guys still continue, but apart from that... not much.

We're planning to make another longer campaign for Cliff's but after that it depends on the status of any online-war campaigns ( ala SEOW ).

JG53_Valantine
01-01-2012, 08:41 PM
As a Co-Op squad who has made the leapto CloD we are trying to continue our campaign in the new engine with a slow Battle of France theatre, obviously with the lack of French fighters we are doing a more defensive role against British bomber raids and rear guard fighter action. We are doing this using the main lobby with the main map hosted as a dogfight map, it's difficult and isn't ideal but we have managed to get a few successful missions in now without any crashes or lock ups by using a non flying host machine and "in house" rules and guidelines.

I'm very much looking forward to them releasing the stability/AI/Coop fixes soon so we can get everything back on track properly and focus on the teamwork element again rather than the "what works and what doesn't" run throughs we have been having to do.

That said during our "unofficial" flights we tend to drop in on ATAG or other servers and do small unit tactics across the channel.
V

CaptainDoggles
01-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I have an online war engine in the making, but I've stopped working on it until the patch is ready.

FS~Phat
01-02-2012, 12:21 AM
One of our Fire Squadron servers is in the planning stages of being moved across to CLOD. So will have 1x1946 & 1xCLOD server later this year!

FS~Phat
01-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Ok guys play nice or I'll have to start deleting posts. Both points have been made, move along now and stay on topic! Cheers ~Phat

Tree_UK
01-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Back on track - CLOD effectively killed our squad, we had around 14 pilots but now we are down to 3 and only 1 of them now flys regular. The reasom CTD/poor performance on mid range PC''s and no Co-ops. Also the hundreds of bugs that need to be fixed led most of our squad members to think that an investment in this game simply wasn't worth the while, whether that will change now CLOD is effectlively being given away remains to be seen, but I hope some members do return to flying.

robtek
01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Are you really trying to put the blame for the decisions of your squad mates on a thing, TreeUK?

Pathetic!

CloD might be a catalyst, but it doesn't force decisions!

Tree_UK
01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Are you really trying to put the blame for the decisions of your squad mates on a thing, TreeUK?

Pathetic!

CloD might be a catalyst, but it doesn't force decisions!

eh? i dont get what you mean, CLOD as split many squads, some staying with IL2 while many are not flying at all. You only have to look how many pilots are flying online in the CLOd server browser. Surely even you cannot dispute that?? Il2 1946 I imagine as more people flying online at the moment than CLOD, because its not broken.

ElAurens
01-02-2012, 04:26 PM
I must agree with Tree here.

:eek:

The BlitzPigs, and our friends from the Pilot's Pub are split about 75% to 25%, with only the 25% using CLOD. There are a small number playing RoF, a smaller number playing DCS A10-C, (some crossover here) and the rest have stopped flight sims altogether. Only myself and BlitzPig_Void still play '46, and that's on rare occaision.

Everyone was very hopeful about CloD at the beginning, but now they have given up and think it won't make it past the sequel.

Sad, but that's the truth of it.

Blackdog_kt
01-02-2012, 05:49 PM
In all honesty, splits are not that unusual around new releases.

I vividly remember the same thing happening with '46 between mods and no-mods fliers, then the same thing being announced by some people on the Spits vs 109s forums when RoF was released, to the tune of "i'll be flying mostly the new sim from now on", etc.

It's not that unusual and until each new sim reaches a level of completeness that satisfies everyone (and to be fair, most sims don't get released in a state that qualifies as "complete" and it takes a year or so of patching to flesh things out), people will naturally gravitate to whatever suits them best. It does mix things up for all involved, but there's nothing strange about it really.

Chivas
01-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Highly doubtfull at this point that COD is the reason squads break up unless the squad was built with only COD in mind. I can see squads changing as the sim becomes more optimized and people with average systems can migrate to COD. Personally I've never had the problems others have flying COD online. Not sure why, but probably because of my decent system that has a fast internet connection.

Tree_UK
01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Highly doubtfull at this point that COD is the reason squads break up unless the squad was built with only COD in mind. I can see squads changing as the sim becomes more optimized and people with average systems can migrate to COD. Personally I've never had the problems others have flying COD online. Not sure why, but probably because of my decent system that has a fast internet connection.

CLOD was soley the reason why our squad split/stopped flying, and from a lot of posts I have read on this very forum a lot of Squads have said the same thing. Also my PC spec is far superior to your Chivas (not in a bragging fashion) but I suffer from the CTD, as do many others with higher end systems.

Chivas
01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
CLOD was soley the reason why our squad split/stopped flying, and from a lot of posts I have read on this very forum a lot of Squads have said the same thing. Also my PC spec is far superior to your Chivas (not in a bragging fashion) but I suffer from the CTD, as do many others with higher end systems.

Maybe its because I've a installed COD on as separate SSD with only another copy of Windows 7 64 bit, and Hotas peripherals on it. Never had a CTD, other than a past beta patch that caused a problem when the bombs went off. I know from long experience if you want to enjoy combat flight sims you have to optimize your own system as well as the developer having to optimize their code.

Was your squad initially organized to fly another sim, and then fell apart when some moved to COD while others couldn't? If no one can fly COD, as you continually suggest, then continue flying the sim you where organized to fly. Some of the continuity would be lost anyway as some people wouldn't have the system to run a new combat flight sim, or just drag their feet, as change is sometimes hard.

aus3620
01-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Interesting comment Chivas re separate SSD for CLOD. Might give that a go in the future.

The online squad I am associated with (the RAAF Squad) has about 25% CLoD enthusiasts and 75% we'll stick with 1946 (for all the usual reasons argued on the forum). We still have "all in" 1946 evenings so we can fly together, although it (1946) does have a "cartoon" feel after CLoD (yeah, yeah I know - stability, CTD, comms, etc). (btw my gunnery in 1946 has improved after flying CLoD, much more challenging in CLoD I would suggest).

The introduction of a new title can be a watershed moment for some players - take the opportunity to try something else, wait till they upgrade hardware, patch up the relationship with the bride, etc. But to say that CLoD was the singular cause for an outfit to fall apart is a bit short sighted I would suggest.

While I enjoy CLoD and prefer to play it I do understand the 1946ers argument for "squad" activity. Hopefully, the next patch will go some way to addressing some of the concerns. One may need the patience of Job but I am optimistic about the future of the series. I note that even Team D is having patch problems, such is life in software development. (Looks like some nice development work on the AI - nice work Team D).

Bewolf
01-03-2012, 06:10 AM
I dare say that the descision to coninue to play a long standing, exisiting Sim opposed to switching to a new one has more factors involved but the state of the new release. I remember back in the days when CoD was still due to be released many players stating they will wait until the new series sports a similiar amount of aircraft and theatres as IL2 1946 did (notwithstanding it took IL2 1946 more then 10 years to get where it is now).

As others already said, the more choice you have, the more likely it is that people will take different preferences, pretty natural.

Personally, I am a WW2 geek, played 1946 like crazy back in it's day but for the love of it can't go back there now. CoD simply put the bar too high for 46 to compete in regards to FM, DM and graphics. But I am sure others will have different priorities. As aus3620 already said, pointing fingers here in the line of "CoD destroyed my squad" is a bit simple.

FS~Phat
01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
I think the loss of squad pilots has a lot more to do with the fact that a lot of people were hanging out playing 46 in anticipation of CLOD, and when it finally came out, a lot of squads already had lower participation from various factors.

Let me list a few;

Life sometimes just gets too busy
Splitting community from the different mod versions of 46
Complexity of getting 46 mods working (not everyone flying is an IT geek)
LOTS of other worthwhile games coming out
Going a bit stale from 10 years of almost the same thing over and over
CLOD not working as well on some systems as people were hoping
Some people like me just decided to have a break until some of the teething problems were sorted with CLOD

I wouldn't worry too much, a lot of those people will be back, especially if it's in your blood... ;)

So i dont think you cant point the blame squarely at CLOD for people leaving squads, its a broader set of issues.

klem
01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Our Squad was already split by IL-2 vanilla/mods as far as preference was concerned but we bit the bullet and continued in vanilla '46 so that we could continue to fly together. Just making the point that we are committed to the Squad and eachother to a large extent.

When CoD came out it fragmented us badly, largely due to the basic playability/bugs of the game which put a lot of our guys off and also due to the PC spec requirements which even now, generally speaking, need to be at the high end. As a result we had only about 25% of our regulars flying in CoD. A few stayed in '46, one or two simply stopped flying and curiously the majority of the rest went to RoF, temporarily as it turned out. I guess we were all just ready for a new sim after so many years in IL-2.

However following release of the last CoD patch and some more of our guys upgrading their PCs we now have 14 guys able to fly in CoD. Of these 11 fly regularly but include 4 new guys (only 7 'old hands' regulars). Another 2 old hands have only just become CoD capable so should be regulars soon. 2 more old hands can fly CoD but aren't regulars due to life's commitments.

So we have about 70% of the old hands converted to CoD plus 4 new guys.

Having said that we still aren't happy with some fundamental flaws like the memory leak, disappearing dots and, to a lesser extent, the FMs which desperately need sorting out.

But its positive and improving.

Tree_UK
01-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Im certainly not pointing all the blame at CLOD, but had it worked correctly out of the box I am certain there would be at least 10 times the amount of people playing online right now than there currently is, Its seems so sad that what was advertised as the next generation of flight sims actually killed so many peoples interest in flying, and 10 months on nothing as really changed or been fixed since release.

carguy_
01-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I vividly remember the same thing happening with '46 between mods and no-mods fliers, then the same thing being announced by some people on the Spits vs 109s forums when RoF was released, to the tune of "i'll be flying mostly the new sim from now on", etc.
Yes, well as far as I remember, half of my squad (me included) stopped playing IL2 altoghether when mods came out.

It's not that unusual and until each new sim reaches a level of completeness that satisfies everyone (and to be fair, most sims don't get released in a state that qualifies as "complete" and it takes a year or so of patching to flesh things out), people will naturally gravitate to whatever suits them best. It does mix things up for all involved, but there's nothing strange about it really.
The problem is, there is hardly anything in CloD to gather new pilots around. Generic coops rooms were really popular, as there were lots of people hosting those, open for everyone. Online wars were a long evolution of this idea and a place for people who wanted something more (eg. a pilot career). As it is now, people, maybe even majority of IL2 players, just don`t have a reason to use CloD online.

Judging from what Luthier says, we don`t even know if we can hope for something even remotely similar to IL2 happen with CloD.

SEE
01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
CloD is my first experience working with groups/squads. One of the problems I noticed (when working with a number of players) is the performance drops drastically on my system. You invariably end up with quite a lot of ac in a confined combat area comprising enemy, friendly, AI bomber groups, Flak, Tracers, etc and it ends up in a slide show or the infamous Launcher crash.

Its even worse if the action is at low to medium altitudes where many of the MP confrontations seem to take place.

The next update is expected to improve performance - I hope so anyway.

tintifaxl
01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
We switched from IL2-1946 to Arma2, so we can keep playing together. Most of the guys have bought CloD but shelved it at some point or the other, as I have done for now.