PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to get an English mod to work with a non-English localization?

MattCaspermeyer
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get an English mod to work with a non-English localization.

I sent my mod to Sarouman who tried to get it to work with his French version, but he was unsuccesful.

He tried:

Copying the ENG_*.LNG files to FR_*.LNG and then running the game. I'm not sure what the error message was, but Sarouman will have to post it.
He has 4 language variants included in his loc_ses.kfs file:

DE_ - German
EN_ - English
ES_ - Spanish
FR_ - French

So I'm not sure if you need to have all of them updated or just the language you use, but I think he tried to update all 4 of them but to no avail - it didn't work either.

So I was wondering if anyone had any info to aid in getting an English mod to work with a non-English localization when the ENG_*.LNG files are updated. I pretty sure there would be know problem if I didn't update any *.LNG files as his ses.kfs file was the same as mine so the problem is in loc_ses.kfs.

Thanks!

/C\/C\

fillyra
12-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Need probably a lot more information before I can come up with a clear answer. The error he's getting would be helpful to know.

In the meantime you can see what we over at the Red Sands mod (its for Crossworlds but the way it handles data is similar to The Legend) were doing to port it from russian to english if it helps any. I think you have all the steps down but it doesn't hurt to double check.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23322

saroumana
12-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Unfortunately, i don't receive any error. the game just crash at the begining.
Just with having some LNG files make the game to crash.

In other hand, i could suppress all ENG LNG files in red sand. I got one error, but if i ignore it the game launch.

I'm lost.

fillyra
12-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Sorry for late post. Hope you were able to solve it.

If not: I've no clue what to do if it crashes up in the beginning with the mod, most of the times it'll halt with an error message or have in-game abnormalities which then give better insight on what's going on. The only crashes at launch I've experienced came from outdated mods or mod conflicts.

MattCaspermeyer
12-14-2011, 03:15 AM
No, Sarouman is still having issues.

I wonder if it's possible if we overlooked a file when we copied the EN_*.LNG files to FR_*.LNG and that it's crashing because it's missing a file...

Sarouman - do you think you can double check to make sure we didn't miss one?

Maybe it's something simple like that.

I'll also experiment with my English (ENG_*.LNG) version to see if I can remove a few and see if it crashes.

I know during development that I could get the game to lockup on startup if I added a template that didn't exist! I was pretty good at crashing it from time to time during my development cycle! :grin:

Hopefully we'll figure it out sooner or later or someone more knowledgeable will chime in to help us!

Thanks for your help!

/C\/C\

fillyra
12-16-2011, 07:47 PM
No, Sarouman is still having issues.

I wonder if it's possible if we overlooked a file when we copied the EN_*.LNG files to FR_*.LNG and that it's crashing because it's missing a file...

Sarouman - do you think you can double check to make sure we didn't miss one?

Maybe it's something simple like that.

I'll also experiment with my English (ENG_*.LNG) version to see if I can remove a few and see if it crashes.

I know during development that I could get the game to lockup on startup if I added a template that didn't exist! I was pretty good at crashing it from time to time during my development cycle! :grin:

Hopefully we'll figure it out sooner or later or someone more knowledgeable will chime in to help us!

Thanks for your help!

/C\/C\

Oh, is his game locking up or just full out crash to desktop? And is this before/during the intros or at some other point in the beginning?

If it's locking up it's likely that one or more error message(s) (that'll likely provide information if he's able to view it) is/are hidden behind his intro screen and is awaiting for input (abort, retry, ignore sort of deal) and if it doesn't receive input it'll act like the game has locked up*.

* Originally said crashed, whoops.

MattCaspermeyer
12-16-2011, 09:35 PM
That's still a great point though - it does appear to be locked up and so that might look like a crash to the uninitiated.

I'll check to see how far he gets through the startup process...

Oh, is his game locking up or just full out crash to desktop? And is this before/during the intros or at some other point in the beginning?

If it's locking up it's likely that one or more error message(s) (that'll likely provide information if he's able to view it) is/are hidden behind his intro screen and is awaiting for input (abort, retry, ignore sort of deal) and if it doesn't receive input it'll act like the game has locked up*.

* Originally said crashed, whoops.