PDA

View Full Version : Rivulets flowing upwards :(

Foo'bar
11-26-2011, 12:39 PM
On many places at the channel map I've seen rivers and rivulets following the lanscape's shape and therefore flowing upwards. No need to say that this is looking strange and ugly. Furthermore none of the rivers I've seen so far has a riverbed. They all are just painted flat upon the land's surface. They all are looking like heavily overflooded after a long rain period.

Any chance to get it fixed?

pupo162
11-26-2011, 12:41 PM
well rivers, water in general, is supposed to be a provisory thing, remember the videos with translucide water?

im not sure if that will adress the river flow problem, but they wont fix the placeholder for sure.

Foo'bar
11-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Let's hope the best ;)

However I think that's two different things.

Ailantd
11-26-2011, 04:46 PM
On many places at the channel map I've seen rivers and rivulets following the lanscape's shape and therefore flowing upwards. No need to say that this is looking strange and ugly. Furthermore none of the rivers I've seen so far has a riverbed. They all are just painted flat upon the land's surface. They all are looking like heavily overflooded after a long rain period.

Any chance to get it fixed?

If I don't remember bad I think Oleg show us a very early landscape screenshot demo, very in the beginning, and with wireframe mode. It has a river and the riverbed were truly 3D mesh ( he was talking about progressive mesh or something like that ) and nicely done. Not sure if somebody could fin that shot now.

Continu0
11-26-2011, 06:22 PM
very low quality, but i guess you mean this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Xe6f6ZzGs

Ailantd
11-26-2011, 06:51 PM
very low quality, but i guess you mean this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Xe6f6ZzGs

Nope, That´s the beautiful sea shore witch is also missing. I mean a perspective terrain in wireframe mode showing a river. It was extremely old like these too.
I have spend some minutes looking for it, with no look. There was no water in the one I remember, only the river bank nicely carved in the terrain.

335th_GRAthos
11-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice video and the fps are great, too!

...I think I am happy; No! grateful!!! that this was not part of CoD after all :D

~S~

Foo'bar
11-26-2011, 07:35 PM
I remember what you mean. Will have a look in my archives.

GOZR
11-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Yep a lots of promise are missing ! :(

Chivas
11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
There were never any promises. Oleg learned that lesson a very long time ago, but in one of his updates they were definitely working on the type of riverbeds that Foo'bar and Ailantd are talking about. Hopefully a one point this feature will be added to the graphics as it will give the terrain a much more realistic look.

PilotError
11-27-2011, 10:09 PM
I remember the riverbeds Foo'bar is talking about. They were shown in the Storm of War preview DVD that came with IL2 1946.

I had a trawl on YouTube and found the said video. The river bit is at 4:10.

There is a lot of other things "previewed" in this video, and I take no responsibility for any "what happened to this or that feature" whines that may result. ;)

Sorry guys, I've had to edit my post.
I tried to embed the youtube player into my post but it didn't work.
So here is the link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9OWQ55n8ig

How do you embed a youtube video anyway?

PilotError
11-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Ok, after altering my previous post I find that the youtube video embedded itself just by posting the link.

I didn't think it would be that easy. :oops:

Ailantd
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I remember the riverbeds Foo'bar is talking about. They were shown in the Storm of War preview DVD that came with IL2 1946.

I had a trawl on YouTube and found the said video. The river bit is at 4:10.

There is a lot of other things "previewed" in this video, and I take no responsibility for any "what happened to this or that feature" whines that may result. ;)

Sorry guys, I've had to edit my post.
I tried to embed the youtube player into my post but it didn't work.
So here is the link;

How do you embed a youtube video anyway?

Yes, that´s what I remember.
Maybe we will have that terrain tech in CoD some day.

Foo'bar
11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Ok, after altering my previous post I find that the youtube video embedded itself just by posting the link.

I didn't think it would be that easy. :oops:

You were faster than me ;) I was searching after the wrong thing, thought about an image instead of a video. May I export the two important scenes to separate images.

Thank you for posting!