PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hacked?

BP_Tailspin
11-10-2011, 11:18 PM
http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/10/psa-st ... data-safe/

This sounds like a good time to change your password.

ElAurens
11-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Tailspin, you worry too much.

:cool:

tk471138
11-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks alot devs for compelling users to use this steam garbage...ive said it more than once, I dont want some third party crap just to be able to play some game i got on disk....seriously...you open me up to being a potential victim, THANK YOU 1C AND UBISOFT THANKS ALOT....

seriously make it so i dont have to use this garbage just to play a game that i bought on disk....

i dont want this steam crap, and the BS that comes with it....

SIDWULF
11-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks alot devs for compelling users to use this steam garbage...ive said it more than once, I dont want some third party crap just to be able to play some game i got on disk....seriously...you open me up to being a potential victim, THANK YOU 1C AND UBISOFT THANKS ALOT....

seriously make it so i dont have to use this garbage just to play a game that i bought on disk....

Chill out, Steam is a brilliant idea. I remember when steam was first released along with Half-life 2 What an exciting time.

I know all about Steam and can tell you it is nothing like you describe.

It is an incredible content distribution platform. There is no BS that comes with it, Games are auto updated, there are always sales on new and old games alike (Metro 2033 for $5, GTA 4 and expansion for $15) Great matchmaking and friends list.

I don't see the issue here.

SIDWULF
11-11-2011, 01:57 AM
And it sucks that Steam was hacked....but this happens with most softwear at some time or another. Security is difficult in the digital world, programming languages are powerfull things.

icarus
11-11-2011, 03:15 AM
I had my credit card used illegally. Got purchases from London England on my account. I always suspected Steam. Now I know it was true.

CaptainDoggles
11-11-2011, 03:32 AM

It's the steam forums, not the steam accounts. They are on a separate server.

This is the first time since 2004 that Steam has had any info compromised, and there is still no proof that Steam accounts (aka what you use to play the game) have been compromised.

Sorry to interrupt your drama queen BS rant. :rolleyes:

CaptainDoggles
11-11-2011, 03:33 AM
I had my credit card used illegally. Got purchases from London England on my account. I always suspected Steam. Now I know it was true.

Where did you buy the game?

icarus
11-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Where did you buy the game?

I bought it at Steam. Steam said the hack included credit card info and other personal data including passwords.

"...contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information."

icarus
11-11-2011, 04:51 AM
It's the steam forums, not the steam accounts. They are on a separate server.

This is the first time since 2004 that Steam has had any info compromised, and there is still no proof that Steam accounts (aka what you use to play the game) have been compromised.

Sorry to interrupt your drama queen BS rant. :rolleyes:

Actually, this is the first time they have acknowledged it or knew about it. Mine was three months ago. I don't think its drama to be upset about having credit card info stolen. Its pretty nasty.

"Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users,

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information."

BTW, I don't mind Steam, but this is pretty bad.

mazex
11-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Well, of all the digital software distribution channels - name one that is better? The days when games ship on DVD:s is quickly coming to an end, just like CD:s for music is almost dead. Do you honestly think that games will ship on DVD:s in five years? Sure, the whole music industry missed out on the fact that physical media is dead as a distribution channel for years and missed the whole market that Apple, Spotify etc snatched right in front of their noses... Amazingly the software publishers did the same thing and just gave a big chunk of the future market to Steam. Finally the last year or so they have woken up and EA is now doing all they can to catch up with Origin...

The DVD is dead, even the big elephants have realized it now and can join the ranks of Sony Music in the bar whining about how they lost a whole market in a few years for not understanding that the digital revolution was more than fancy web sites...

Mazex

hiro
11-11-2011, 07:15 AM
just be thankful it isn't like the old days, where credit card companies used to think ID theft and someone using the Internet to steal CC info was just you trying to get out of your CC payment . . .

r0bc
11-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Mine was three months ago.

Then it wasn't Steam, that could have been from anything Online or Offline

There's no known confirmed reports of CC theft yet and Its better to warn us then to do what Sony did.
If you unchecked the boxes that saves your info you got nothing to worry about regardless.

SNAFU
11-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the information. I am not reading the Steam Forums and would not have known. And I have a misgiving... will report back later after checking my real mailbox.

r0bc
11-11-2011, 07:32 AM
The Steam Forums have been down since the hack on Sunday

Feathered_IV
11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
There is a setting in your account that prevents your credit card details being stored online. If you don't mind typing your number in each time you buy something there is no need to leave it there.

Whiski
11-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Them being hacked really just lets us know that, on the net, nothing is secure. There are people who make a living off of hacking, and they are dam good at it. Double, triple or even quadruple security is really redundant now days, it just provides a challenge to those hackers.

The only thing that bothers me is that 1C went with steam at all. Never liked it, never will. I had games with them before a long time ago and had some problems. Deleted steam from my pc and thought that I would never have to deal with them again.....never say never, about anything.

To much dependance on a separate entity/company for operation of the game if you ask me....but I can understand why it was done (finances). That is the only reason why I play CLoD, to support 1C, not steam and hope they hall themselves out of it eventually.

Whiskey

SNAFU
11-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes sure, do never save important passwords or numbers anywhere, but 2 days ago I ordered a second CloD key on "Get Games" for the 12€. The key I received was not accepted by STEAM so I contacted Get Games- Support and I was told that my card was not charged for an unknown reason. That is somewhat odd, so I decided to wait until I receive my CC balance calculation. Might be related to typo, but I`ll know soon...

ATAG_Dutch
11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Well this is bad news, but I don't see why anyone needs to rant about Steam in particular.

Look at the huge Sony debacle recently with the PS3 intrusion.

Last year my debit card was stopped by the bank after someone hacked into Hannants' online model store, but I don't blame Hannants, and hats off to the bank for preventing any fraudulent activity.

If you order stuff online, you run the risk, wherever and whoever you buy from.

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Tailspin, you worry too much.

:cool:

Hi El! So you hit the beginning of this thread - now I'll hit the middle.

The link that the OP put up is a good service to users. Thanks for the info.

I like Steam. I've never seen a problem with it. It's the least invasive software distribution system that I've experienced yet. I also like the transportability of it - i.e. if I'm off on travel or get a new system, I can very easily install Steam and let it d/l all my apps to a new system painlessly.

As far as security against identity and real money theft - I find Steam and all other apps of it's ilk to be the least of my concerns.

I've also had my credit cards charged by criminals a few times over the last 5 years or so. Not once have I ever had to pay any money out of my pocket - and I have a hard time believing anyone else has either. Each time, after thousands of dollars had been rung up on an individual card - the bank paid for the loss and then issued a new card.

Of all the computer theft, fraud issues - the most dangerous ones I've been a victim of have been the responsiblity of big business and government. For example, the U.S. Veterans administration allowed my social security number, and other personal information to be compromised several years ago. Medical insurance, payroll information, etc... have all been hacked for millions of us. Add that info to your Facebook account.....

I find it interesting that there are people in this world who chose game software to hold up as a significant example of computer crime and potential victimization, when in fact there is so much private personal info held by organizations who've already compromised the data.

My guess is they just don't know it yet......

Thanks to the OP for the link and info - otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. I'll file it away with all the others :)

S!

Gunny

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
11-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Well this is bad news, but I don't see why anyone needs to rant about Steam in particular.

Last year my debit card was stopped by the bank after someone hacked into Hannants' online model store, but I don't blame Hannants, and hats off to the bank for preventing any fraudulent activity.

Darn, I forgot to mention the PS3 :)

Even if you don't order online - you run a significant risk of losing your PIN, account number, etc..... Gas stations, ATM's, have all been hacked at one point or the other in various ways (slip in card readers for example)....

Great point...

S!

Gunny

bongodriver
11-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Small world....exactly the same thing happened to me with the Hannants hack.

Whiski
11-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, I may be mistaken, but I am under the assumption that if steam is down=you can't log into steam...you cannot play CLoD. That would be my problem.

Not sure if setting your steam to offline helps or not (or if you have to set offline mode every time you play), but if you cannot log in you cannot set that option. I only play CLoD in multi-player, not interested in single player really.

Is there a way to play CLoD if steam goes down?

Whiskey

SIDWULF
11-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, of all the digital software distribution channels - name one that is better? The days when games ship on DVD:s is quickly coming to an end, just like CD:s for music is almost dead. Do you honestly think that games will ship on DVD:s in five years? Sure, the whole music industry missed out on the fact that physical media is dead as a distribution channel for years and missed the whole market that Apple, Spotify etc snatched right in front of their noses... Amazingly the software publishers did the same thing and just gave a big chunk of the future market to Steam. Finally the last year or so they have woken up and EA is now doing all they can to catch up with Origin...

The DVD is dead, even the big elephants have realized it now and can join the ranks of Sony Music in the bar whining about how they lost a whole market in a few years for not understanding that the digital revolution was more than fancy web sites...

Mazex

Lawl, so true.

ElAurens
11-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi El! So you hit the beginning of this thread - now I'll hit the middle.

Gunny

Howdy Gunny.

It's an old joke, Tailspin always worries too much about stuff... All those years flying old crates around the real sky I suppose...

But now he has the sim installed finally. And I hope to give him something to really worry about...

Hehe.

S!

MD_Titus
11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
just the forums been hacked mind

vicinity
11-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Never liked it, never will.

never say never, about anything.

:-P

Tvrdi
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I was against steam and never had steam before CLOD.....as I know that its a complete fuckup....where are the steam fanboys now?

bongodriver
11-11-2011, 09:44 PM
probably on the steam forums

CaptainDoggles
11-12-2011, 02:09 AM
I was against steam and never had steam before CLOD.....as I know that its a complete fuckup....where are the steam fanboys now?

You'd better edit your post, otherwise someone's gonna come around and whack you with the ban hammer.

r0bc
11-12-2011, 04:25 AM
as I know that its a complete fuckup....where are the steam fanboys now?

Right here ....One of the few things I am a fan of.
I have around 220 games on there and never had a issue, bought Skyrim last night and never lost any sleep over it.

SIDWULF
11-12-2011, 07:31 AM
bought Skyrim last night and never lost any sleep over it.

You didn't lose any sleep over Skyrim? :o

And yes im a Steam fanboy despite this hacking debacle.

It just sits there in my task bar and takes good care of my games.

On startup Steam will inform me of killer deals on games i've always wanted to play.

*high fives his pal Steam*

r0bc
11-12-2011, 09:01 AM
You didn't lose any sleep over Skyrim? :o

Well I lost a few hours and it was because of Skyrim and losing more tonight because of the SWTOR beta....to many games not enough time

Foo'bar
11-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Well, I may be mistaken, but I am under the assumption that if steam is down=you can't log into steam...you cannot play CLoD. That would be my problem.

Not sure if setting your steam to offline helps or not (or if you have to set offline mode every time you play), but if you cannot log in you cannot set that option. I only play CLoD in multi-player, not interested in single player really.

Is there a way to play CLoD if steam goes down?

Whiskey

AFAIK you can switch to offline mode to play a steam game. I'm playing steam games since 4 years now (began with Red Orchestra) and in all that time I can't remember even one single time steam didn't allow me to play online.

Until today I steam didn't give me one single reason for doubts.

addman
11-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Steam fanboy right here, everything can be hacked. Changed my password. Didn't have too much time to care as I was playing Skyrim half the night:grin:. Just you wait until Facebook is hacked, where will all the fanboys be then? As said, everything can be hacked and I reckon 99% of all the people here have their name and information registered on some form of website, be it Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, Gmail and millions of other online services/online stores out there. Blaming Steam for being hacked is just ignorant. Steam is the most successful online game service because a. They started out early and b. It's a good service compared to some of the totally retarded systems out there i.e Origin and that horrible Games for Windows Live service. If you'll excuse me I will now go and watch the latest episode of "The Walking Dead".:cool:

Insuber
11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey addman, how's Skyrim for PC? Yet another beta?

JG52Krupi
11-12-2011, 11:42 AM
No problems on my system and that's with giving these tweaks Adonys showed me a go :D

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

Revvin
11-12-2011, 12:12 PM
If we worried about everything that could possibly be hacked online then we'd never use online banking, Paypal or pay for items on Amazon, Play.com etc etc and just huddle in our homes wrapped in tin foil.

addman
11-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey addman, how's Skyrim for PC? Yet another beta?

Well I've "only" played for about 6 hours so far but I haven't run in to any bugs yet. If Skyrim is a beta release then you could call CloD "still on the drawing boards" on it's release.

Whiski
11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
AFAIK you can switch to offline mode to play a steam game. I'm playing steam games since 4 years now (began with Red Orchestra) and in all that time I can't remember even one single time steam didn't allow me to play online.

Until today I steam didn't give me one single reason for doubts.

Granted, Steam has some good things going for it. But, if Steam is down for some reason are you able to still play CLoD if my settings are for online mode? If I can't play CLoD because steam is down and I am set to online mode, I won't be able to change my settings to play because I can't log in. This is the only killer for me. If steam goes down and I could still play, great, I have no problem with steam at all.

Whiskey

CaptainDoggles
11-12-2011, 06:09 PM
If we worried about everything that could possibly be hacked online then we'd never use online banking, Paypal or pay for items on Amazon, Play.com etc etc and just huddle in our homes wrapped in tin foil.

People are just using this as an excuse to rant because they're threatened by change and therefore are threatened by steam.

Tvrdi
11-12-2011, 10:07 PM

Im using my credit card only via paypal and never had problems. But Steam leaked credit card infos because of weak and lousy protection.....thats the point....not to mention retarded "we share everything" system on steam....its cool for connecting gamers and easy updates but it lacks proper protection.....

robtek
11-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Yep, weak and lousy protection, thats why it took only several years to crack it.

Some crusades are ridiculous.

ElAurens
11-12-2011, 10:23 PM
The fix for this is easy.

Just don't buy anything from Steam.

Seems simple enough.

You still have all the features and utility that some find great, without having your credit card at the mercy of yet another online security weak point.

Also, is it not possible to purchase credits for use on Steam from brick and mortar stores? This would be the way to go actually.

LoBiSoMeM
11-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Until someone hack PayPal...

Strange people...

Tvrdi
11-12-2011, 10:45 PM
The fix for this is easy.

Just don't buy anything from Steam.

Seems simple enough.

You still have all the features and utility that some find great, without having your credit card at the mercy of yet another online security weak point.

Also, is it not possible to purchase credits for use on Steam from brick and mortar stores? This would be the way to go actually.

And I didnt bought anything via steam (its expensive btw)....paypal has way more users and much much better protection system....steam accounts leaked via forum which tells you something about steam.....they are not serious.....

r0bc
11-13-2011, 02:05 AM
Paypal has been hacked before

ElAurens
11-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Paypal has been hacked before

Yup, I had nothing but troubles with my PayPal account. Really difficult to get them to delete it as well. Took several less than diplomatically worded emails/chat sessions to get them to cancel my account and delete all my info.

Never again.

speculum jockey
11-13-2011, 04:42 AM
And I didnt bought anything via steam (its expensive btw)....paypal has way more users and much much better protection system....steam accounts leaked via forum which tells you something about steam.....they are not serious.....

Expensive? The cheapest deals on games in the world, and you are calling it expensive? If steam is expensive then Mirko Filipović isn't a useless old lady with a glass jaw.

BP_Tailspin
11-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Every year I go into B of A and hand them my Visa Card in exchange for a new one ... not fool proof but it makes me feel better.

salmo
02-04-2012, 02:32 AM
Was steam hacked by Tehwongz? (8:20)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3spwzUZfQ&feature=player_embedded

JG26_EZ
02-05-2012, 03:54 AM
Back in November they were. ...I think
I recieved this warning when I fired up CloD one day...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/JG26_EZ/SteamHacked.jpg

K_Freddie
02-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Essentially the online business model makes it easier for some smart person to hack your details 'en mass'. Usually all it takes is one disgruntled employee and there goes your secure info.. and money. And ever since the computer has been in business.. there are plenty of these people around.

DVD's are here for a long time to come no doubt, as it's still the more secure way of buying a game/software.
Actually this give me a really great idea.. :)

As the saying goes... "a fool and his money are soon parted"
;)

JG26_EZ
02-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Just recieved this yesterday.. Haven't been on steam for a while now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/JG26_EZ/hacked2.jpg

speculum jockey
02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Essentially the online business model makes it easier for some smart person to hack your details 'en mass'. Usually all it takes is one disgruntled employee and there goes your secure info.. and money. And ever since the computer has been in business.. there are plenty of these people around.

DVD's are here for a long time to come no doubt, as it's still the more secure way of buying a game/software.
Actually this give me a really great idea.. :)

If you used a credit card to buy that DVD you're 100 times more likely to being ripped off than using Steam. Also having your CC info taken and used just means that you call up Mastercard/Visa/Amex/Whatever company and tell them your card has been compromised. They cancel it, drop the charges, and mail you a new one.

As the saying goes... "a fool and his money are soon parted"
;)

So you're saying you're broke right now?