PDA

View Full Version : Thanks ATAG and developers

Chivas
11-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I understand the many problems others are having with the game, especially off-line but on-line can be really enjoyable. I flew a few sorties last night and it was by far a better immersive experience than I've ever had flying any other combat flight sim. Never experience any memory leak crashes, but only flew for an hour or two.

Icebear
11-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Great ! Thank you.

Skoshi Tiger
11-07-2011, 12:29 AM
ATAG is the most populated server that I can finds with a reasonable ping.

There are a great group of virtual pilots that frequent the server and are always willing to lend a hand and give advice.

If you've got a head set, do yourself a favor and get on their teamspeak server. It really adds to the immersion.

Great fun

CaptainDoggles
11-07-2011, 12:40 AM
The Repka servers are very good as well, but usually aren't as populated during the times when I'm online.

Faucon
11-07-2011, 01:07 AM
I had a very bad departure with this sim. Performances, Su26 gone away few days before release. As an aerobatic hard fan and IRL pilot, I was expecting a lot with this plane. Knowing the quality of IL2's FM, I was very convinced it would be the best aerobatic simulator** (+ the best WWII air combat simulator of course).

I didnt touch it for a long long time, while 2 or 3 updates went out. I came back the last week. It was playable, I felt better FMs. Thanks to Seven 64, the "launcher.exe" issue is almost a ghost. I'm having very good time on ATAG server. Online, this sim is impressive and immersive, as Chivas said.

So I just want say to the dev: keep working, it's getting very good. And... hope to be able to fly the Su26 soon.

** And I'm still convinced, after testing some freestyle aerobatics with Me109. There are behaviors which are normally very hard to reproduce, like the snap-roll (which keeps rolling with neutral elevators) and torque-roll (propeller blast seems nicely modeled).

Skoshi Tiger
11-07-2011, 04:11 AM
The Repka servers are very good as well, but usually aren't as populated during the times when I'm online.

+1

I haven't been on Repka for a long time due to the high ping from where I live (mid 500's). But just reading about the progress and innovation that happening on that server is great. Also they are fantastic for the community passing on information on scripting and mission development. They are a huge asset to our community.

Cheers!

CaptainDoggles
11-07-2011, 05:58 AM
I had a very bad departure with this sim. Performances, Su26 gone away few days before release. As an aerobatic hard fan and IRL pilot, I was expecting a lot with this plane. Knowing the quality of IL2's FM, I was very convinced it would be the best aerobatic simulator** (+ the best WWII air combat simulator of course).

I didnt touch it for a long long time, while 2 or 3 updates went out. I came back the last week. It was playable, I felt better FMs. Thanks to Seven 64, the "launcher.exe" issue is almost a ghost. I'm having very good time on ATAG server. Online, this sim is impressive and immersive, as Chivas said.

So I just want say to the dev: keep working, it's getting very good. And... hope to be able to fly the Su26 soon.

** And I'm still convinced, after testing some freestyle aerobatics with Me109. There are behaviors which are normally very hard to reproduce, like the snap-roll (which keeps rolling with neutral elevators) and torque-roll (propeller blast seems nicely modeled).

From the wikipedia article on the Su 26 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-26)

The Sukhoi Su-26 made its first flight in June 1984

Why would they model a 1980's-era acrobatic aircraft in a WWII combat sim?

mazex
11-07-2011, 06:30 AM
From the wikipedia article on the Su 26 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-26)

Because a bunch of the devs including Oleg are old aeronautic engineers, and one of them was on the team developing the Su-26. And many of them (including Oleg) has IRL stick time on the Su-26 so they know how it should behave as a reference to if they got the FM right. It was said it would be included as a bonus in the game but there may be some copyright issue that made it impossible to include? Maybe it was not all finished and they have had other issues to focus on (good priority in that case even though I would love to try it!)

Mazex

Faucon
11-07-2011, 07:53 AM

You didn't notice how many aerobatic team are born on IL2?

baronWastelan
11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Are the players on ATAG using TeamSpeak?
I hate texting for comms.

oops nevermind, I just saw Skoshi Tiger's post. OK I'm gonna check it out shorly ;)

ATAG_Snapper
11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Are the players on ATAG using TeamSpeak?
I hate texting for comms.

oops nevermind, I just saw Skoshi Tiger's post. OK I'm gonna check it out shorly ;)

Sounds like you've used TS before.

I admit I've been new to Teamspeak 3 and only really tried it when ATAG began using it recently. It was easy even for All-Thumbs Snapper to get up and running. What really knocked me out was the clarity of the voices and the apparent absence of "satellite lag" - critical if someone is telling you to "Break left.......NOW" when you have a 109 on your tail. I quickly learned to assign a joystick button for "push to talk" since that is also the precisely wrong time to be fumbling for a keyboard setting! LOL

Further to that, I've gotten all kinds of useful tips through casual conversations on TS during the quieter moments of a mission (advice on ammo belt load outs, CEM settings, etc etc) that would not likely be typed out in a chat box. As you indicate in your post above, Teamspeak really adds to the experience if you have a cheap headset with a microphone. And it's freaking FREE!!

KDN
11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
I also had a very pleasant experience in the ATAG server. Nicely setup and smooth connection.
Thank you Guys :)