PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen Crash

Pips
11-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I've just bought this game and installed it. All went without a hitch. But when I fly, after a few minutes of being airborne the game crashes. My screen goes black, and there is a loud buzzing sound. I have to reboot the computer.

Any suggestions?

I've got a reasonable system, the specs being:
i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
RAM 4.00GB
GTX 560 Ti with latest (285.62) drivers.

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Pips
11-05-2011, 11:33 PM
To help anyone with working out my problem here is some extra info:
Please Note: I'm getting the black screen crash once I'm up and flying around, not during 'game load' or at 'main menu', as most folks who report the problem seem to be experiencing.

a) I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
b) I turned off the 'epilepsy filter'; it was causing a psychedelic effect with the instrument dials in the cockpit.
c) Video Options
Resolution: 1680x1050 60Hz
Full Screen: On
Detail Level: High
Model Detail: High
Building Detail: high
Land Detail: High
Visul Effects: Medium
Texture Quality: High
Anti-Aliasing: 4x
Epilepsy Filter: Off
SSAO: Off
VSYNC: Off
Damage Decals: High
Building Amount: High
Land Shading: High
Grass: On
Shadoqs: Off
Roads: On
With those settings when I fly (for the couple of minutes before the game crashes) it is quite smooth. And that's over land - Dover. No jumping, no shudders etc.

d)
7.Q: I am running Windows Vista / 7, and my game constantly crashes.

A: You have most likely manually reset your render to use DX9. Cliffs of Dover only supports DX9 on Windows XP. Please use DX10 on DX10-capable operating systems, as switching to DX9 actually reduces performance, in addition to leading to unexpected crashes.
unquote

I had a look at the FAQ, and this was the only one that may be causing the problem. Most folks who report a 'black screen' do so at loading or the main menu point. My problem is actually once flying in the game.
But I'm unsure how to check if I'm running DX10 in Win 7.
Any suggestions?

Cheers :(

=FI=Scott
11-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Run DXDIAG from the start menu or open the system information page in your Nvidia control panel to see which DirectX version you are running. I'd guess 11from your specs.

Try lowering your graphics clock speeds from stock (D/l Nvidia system tools to do this if you dont already have it and use the slider in the device settings section of the perfromance tab) Try knocking it back 10Mhz- it sorted all my CTD's out completely.

AKA_Tenn
11-09-2011, 07:05 AM
dust your cpu and gpu heatsinks, make sure there's no dust blocking the air from flowing between the fins, very common issue that many overlook thinking its nothing but a driver issue, even one tiny little bit of dust could block enough of the fins from getting air to cause overheat issues