PDA

View Full Version : Why do I spin around in multiplayer?

Peener
10-28-2011, 05:07 PM
So, I've tried to take off in full realism and have a few questions:
1) Why does the plane spin around slowly while on the ground? Is this wind blowing the plane in a circle? This is before the engine is turned on.

2) I can get the engine started with complex engine management, (using tutorials from youtube) but I can't seem to get off the ground but by more than a few feet. Ultimately a wing-tip will catch the ground and it's all over. Any pointers here?

3) what engine management changes should be made from once you've taken off and are in the air? I'm assuming the settings for the engine and flaps should be different once airborne. I know you should raise gear and flaps, but are there any tips/forums/websites to get educated in this?

P

CaptainDoggles
10-28-2011, 05:53 PM
So, I've tried to take off in full realism and have a few questions:
1) Why does the plane spin around slowly while on the ground? Is this wind blowing the plane in a circle? This is before the engine is turned on.That's a known bug. You can use the brakes to stop yourself rotating until it's fixed. Keep in mind your aircraft will pull to one side when you're rolling for take-off due to engine torque. This is a separate phenomenon and not a bug.

2) I can get the engine started with complex engine management, (using tutorials from youtube) but I can't seem to get off the ground but by more than a few feet. Ultimately a wing-tip will catch the ground and it's all over. Any pointers here?Well it depends on which aircraft you're flying but some general advice would be to wait for a little more speed before lifting off, and then to stay level until your speed picks up before you begin to climb. Keep in mind that if you go too fast on the ground, the tires can burst which will cause you to nose-over into the ground violently, ending your flight real fast. I think this occurs around 200 km/h or 125 mph. I generally try to rotate around 180 km/h.

If your wingtip drops in a situation like this, use the rudder to correct it, not the aileron. Using the ailerons causes the angle of attack to increase further and actually makes the problem worse.

Also make sure you are taking off with max RPM (fine prop pitch), so your prop is taking as many bites out of the air as it can.

3) what engine management changes should be made from once you've taken off and are in the air? I'm assuming the settings for the engine and flaps should be different once airborne. I know you should raise gear and flaps, but are there any tips/forums/websites to get educated in this?Again, this depends heavily on which aircraft you are flying.

Generally, every aircraft has a range of RPMs and manifold pressures where it performs best. Your throttle controls manifold pressure (the RAF call it Boost, the Germans label it ATA) and the propeller pitch controls RPM. You as the pilot must manipulate the controls to keep the values within the best range, suited to your current situation.

For example, I primarily fly the Bf 109. When on takeoff I want high RPM, so I set the prop pitch to the full-fine position (12:00 on the little clock mechanism). I then open my radiators all the way and give it full throttle.

Once I get in the air my speed picks up, causing my RPMs to get higher. I don't want the engine to red-line (causing overheating or engine damage) so I lower the RPMs by coarsening the prop pitch a little bit. Not too much, though, or I won't have enough "oomph" to climb up to altitude. On the Bf 109 the ideal range is between 2300-2400 RPM for climbing so I keep it there. I also want full manifold pressure (full throttle) while I climb, so that there's some muscle behind the spinning prop.

Once I get up to altitude I want to cruise around looking for somebody to shoot down. I want to keep my engine cool in case I have to push it real hard later in an emergency, and I don't want to waste fuel in case I have to run away from someone or chase somebody down. This means I want to lower the RPM to save gas, and lower the manifold pressure to keep the engine cool. So I coarsen the prop pitch and lower the RPM to somewhere in the 1800-2100 range. I also throttle back to about 1.1 ATA or so.

Engine management during combat is a whole other topic by itself, but a quick rule of thumb would be to keep it at full throttle unless you're in a steep dive or are trying to minimize your turn radius.

Peener
10-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Very helpful. Hopefully it means one more noob that everyone will get there chance to shoot down....

CaptainDoggles
10-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Which aircraft do you fly?

Peener
10-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Whichever team I'm on in multiplayer, usually spit or 109.

TomcatViP
10-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Hi Peener (!?)

stick to the 109E4 to learn engine management in fight. then switch to Spit Ia to easily learn E management.

Latter with a little of fight expe you will be able to switch to more interesting plane such as E1/3 and Hurri.

Each one of us had to learn teh basics. So no shame here. And if some of our bullets will flew toward you that's ony with respect. ;)

~S!

Nicolo
10-30-2011, 02:40 AM
2) I can get the engine started with complex engine management, (using tutorials from youtube) but I can't seem to get off the ground but by more than a few feet. Ultimately a wing-tip will catch the ground and it's all over. Any pointers here?

3) what engine management changes should be made from once you've taken off and are in the air? I'm assuming the settings for the engine and flaps should be different once airborne. I know you should raise gear and flaps, but are there any tips/forums/websites to get educated in this?

P

When I take off, I trim the rudder to full right for spits and hurricanes. When you get about 80mph, start pulling your elbow back slightly, trying to feel how much the plane is weighting on the nose. Keep pulling it very gently, at about 100mph the plane will lift.

As you trimmed the rudder, it will roll less, but will still roll. Keep close to the ground until you get 130-140mph. Neutralize the rudder trim and adjust it, be careful, as you neutralize the rudder, your plane will roll to the left.

At this point, you can give one or two clicks to down prop pitch, about 90-95% fine pitch. The plane will start to get speed.