PDA

View Full Version : DLC Aircraft Addons?

Tavingon
10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Anyone up for this? Even if its already an AI plane, would be neat to fly

skouras
10-24-2011, 04:25 PM
i would like to see ready this sim before see another aircraft
i get my favorite fighter E4
So no worries for me..

pupo162
10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Anyone up for this? Even if its already an AI plane, would be neat to fly

If planes are DLC id shell this game right away.

Havent playd ROF, FC2 and others simple becouse theyt are downlaodable pay by internet only games.

give me a DVD, or no deal.

also, DLC plane by plane would make some off the il2 team efforts fo to the sink. who would pay for a G50? or imgine we get F4 and I16 for russia as DLC? im preatty sure we would have much more 109F4 buyers, and then, if servers want to balance teams, "sorry, i dont have the plane".

Just examples, but DLC takes in mych of the competitive out, and people would give up flying lesser planes, the forgotten battles fighters, to just fly the mainstream ones.

CaptainDoggles
10-24-2011, 04:32 PM
If they want to release some free DLC, then fine.

But if they expect users to pay on a per-aircraft basis a la RoF then they'd better demonstrate a much better validation process for the flight models than we're currently seeing.

No more aircraft flying with no wings.

bongodriver
10-24-2011, 04:36 PM
But if they plan to release an SDK for plane making then this all becomes somewhat irrelevant, who is going to 'buy' a plane that is availlable for free because of a modding community.......I make the assumption that community mods will be free.

mazex
10-24-2011, 04:41 PM
But if they plan to release an SDK for plane making then this all becomes somewhat irrelevant, who is going to 'buy' a plane that is availlable for free because of a modding community.......I make the assumption that community mods will be free.

Well, the day the third party developers do aircraft of the visual quality of the original CoD models with all moving meters and levers etc I guess they will not be free ;) Look at FSX, the good stuff costs the same amount as the base CoD game... And then you can't even shoot something down and there are no multi level damage models etc?

Doc_uk
10-24-2011, 05:25 PM
I wouldnt say no to DLC planes, look at rise of flight, there not exspensive, and they make nice addons;)

David198502
10-24-2011, 05:29 PM

Havent playd ROF, FC2 and others simple becouse theyt are downlaodable pay by internet only games.

also, DLC plane by plane would make some off the il2 team efforts fo to the sink. who would pay for a G50? or imgine we get F4 and I16 for russia as DLC? im preatty sure we would have much more 109F4 buyers, and then, if servers want to balance teams, "sorry, i dont have the plane".

Just examples, but DLC takes in mych of the competitive out, and people would give up flying lesser planes, the forgotten battles fighters, to just fly the mainstream ones.

+1....bad idea for this sim

Welshman
10-24-2011, 05:37 PM
If they want to release some free DLC, then fine.

But if they expect users to pay on a per-aircraft basis a la RoF then they'd better demonstrate a much better validation process for the flight models than we're currently seeing.

No more aircraft flying with no wings.

you mean like this one ? :)

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/welshmangt4/th_wingd.jpg (http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/welshmangt4/?action=view&current=wingd.jpg)

pupo162
10-24-2011, 05:43 PM
you mean like this one ? :)

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/welshmangt4/th_wingd.jpg (http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/welshmangt4/?action=view&current=wingd.jpg)

well, in 1946 some planes, hurricane as example, are still flyable with that level of damage. its a good picture and lucky, really god pilot, who still landed the bird.

bongodriver
10-24-2011, 05:47 PM
don't forget the Skyraider that collided with BBD..... literally half a wing gone.

Untamo
10-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Full RoF with all planes ... $72.99... let's wait another year or two. When I buy a game, I buy the full game, not little pieces of a game. Big addons like FB to original IL-2 are another matter where you get complete theatre with all the important planes etc with it. Nothing against them.

Rowddy
10-25-2011, 01:17 PM
i'm not buying anything DLC period!! i paid enough for my collectors CLOD

yakaddict
10-25-2011, 01:29 PM

ROF is not a play by internet game. It has a strong offline campaign and gameplay, and is actually offered for free (the full game). The only thing you pay for are the planes you happen to want. Unlike many other companies (EA, Ubisoft, for example), the people who make ROF dont charge you for an incomplete game and then make you buy a DLC as well. The era of the DVD is already past, and eventually will be no more than a legacy device for the most part, and digital downloads already make up a huge part of pc game sales. The makers behind ROF are at least helping build a future for pc gamers which is fair and balanced, unlike many other corporations out there. I gladly buy from them, and if il2 was set up the same way I would strongly support it. How is it different from the old days when we would buy a pc game and then buy an expansion pack? Same thing, different medium.

bongodriver
10-25-2011, 01:39 PM
people seem to be getting a little animated over an issue that has not been suggested at any point by the devs......unless I missed it where exactly has 1C suggested theres a pay per plane DLC going to happen?

Foo'bar
10-25-2011, 01:50 PM
For me the RoF business model fits just perfect. I don't want to spend money for a complete box getting the full set of planes from wich I don't like or even don't want to fly more than half.

Beside of collector's edition I don't mind dvd/cd. Look at what we have now: after some patches via steam the game's content doesn't have anything in common with what's on the disk.

robtek
10-25-2011, 02:50 PM
ROF is not a play by internet game. It has a strong offline campaign and gameplay, and is actually offered for free (the full game). The only thing you pay for are the planes you happen to want. Unlike many other companies (EA, Ubisoft, for example), the people who make ROF dont charge you for an incomplete game and then make you buy a DLC as well. The era of the DVD is already past, and eventually will be no more than a legacy device for the most part, and digital downloads already make up a huge part of pc game sales. The makers behind ROF are at least helping build a future for pc gamers which is fair and balanced, unlike many other corporations out there. I gladly buy from them, and if il2 was set up the same way I would strongly support it. How is it different from the old days when we would buy a pc game and then buy an expansion pack? Same thing, different medium.

I see, you got RoF when it was free.

Many people paid for RoF when it was practically unplayable and had the DLC to pay for also!!

mazex
10-25-2011, 02:51 PM
don't forget the Skyraider that collided with BBD..... literally half a wing gone.

But the Skyraider really is a rather Russian US plane if you know what I mean ;)

Mazex

Fjordmonkey
10-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Would I pay for DLC containing single aircraft? No.
Would I pay for a DLC that introduces a specific set of aircraft tailored to a new campaign (Barbarossa, Invasion of Norway etc)? Yes, I actually would.

But for single aircraft DLC's I wouldn't bother. Not enough value to care about them.

Feathered_IV
10-25-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd buy a single cod plane if it were at Rise of Flight prices. Never at FSX price though.

pupo162
10-25-2011, 09:57 PM

i see whatyou mean, but i strongly disagree. My experience with rof is a few hours at demo. but my experience with il2 is vast, and i tell you, if 1946 had the plane by plane buy (forget we have 300 planes) i would have bought maybe 109's spits and Fw190. I wouldnt be able to play lots of stuff i have in the past, planes i flew once on one mission, that would never exist, becosue noone would buy a i16 with ski's, or the Rufe zero. An intire campaign of i16 and 109F4 online would be impossible in my squad, noone want to be the i16 underdog, much less pay for it.

Pheraps offline plane by plane works, and ROF small year spawn and location ( 1 front 2 year(?) )facilitates this. but il2 is know for varied scenarios, different years and all that.

LoBiSoMeM
10-25-2011, 10:07 PM
i see whatyou mean, but i strongly disagree. My experience with rof is a few hours at demo. but my experience with il2 is vast, and i tell you, if 1946 had the plane by plane buy (forget we have 300 planes) i would have bought maybe 109's spits and Fw190. I wouldnt be able to play lots of stuff i have in the past, planes i flew once on one mission, that would never exist, becosue noone would buy a i16 with ski's, or the Rufe zero. An intire campaign of i16 and 109F4 online would be impossible in my squad, noone want to be the i16 underdog, much less pay for it.

Pheraps offline plane by plane works, and ROF small year spawn and location ( 1 front 2 year(?) )facilitates this. but il2 is know for varied scenarios, different years and all that.

+1. It's not IL-2 style, simple as that. I'll buy ANY "expansion" MG release, but this kind of "one aircraft" sale don't work with focus in MP.

He111
10-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Would I pay for a DLC that introduces a specific set of aircraft tailored to a new campaign (Barbarossa, Invasion of Norway etc)? Yes, I actually would.

But for single aircraft DLC's I wouldn't bother. Not enough value to care about them.

+12

Depends on content and price, I would expect a few aircraft, new maps and added features etc. Bug fixes should be free.

If people want COD to continue then developers aren't going to do it for nothing. I really find it laughable that some quibble over a few $10 for this quality BOB sim, you have to pay for quality, even if it has "features" :grin: .. and games like this, that aren't main-stream with fewer patrons, need to charge more.

III/JG53_Don
10-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Maybe they could offer some kind of plane "packages". In this case some favourite planes like a 109 F-4 or whatever is combined with less popular planes.

salmo
10-25-2011, 11:33 PM

The sooner the dev's begin releasing the SDK's (map making, plane making etc) the faster COD will develop. This development can occur simultaneously with the dev's improving the game core.

TheGrunch
10-25-2011, 11:46 PM
I would happily pay £15 for a detailed plane pack of 4 or 5 playable aircraft, and if they were campaign themed, even better. Say, the RAF North Africa/Mediterranean '41 pack, with flyable Tomahawks, Vokes Hurri IIs, Gladiators and Marylands, or something like that. If it keeps the cash flowing for this team, all the better. I've often spent more on a single bad night out than a copy of CloD CE, and this is much less of a waste. ;)

41Sqn_Stormcrow
10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
The sooner the dev's begin releasing the SDK's (map making, plane making etc) the faster COD will develop. This development can occur simultaneously with the dev's improving the game core.

I wonder how this plane making is going to work out. Will we see everyone's personal interpretation of Spit performance?

I really have some concerns if planes and particularly FMs and DMs will be tweaked by users in the future. Particularly when releasing a tool that is helping to do it.

What will happen is the same as in IL2. Each server will have their version of their planeset. The modded planes evolving in an erratic way because someone decided that it needs more tweaking. I dunno how this is going to end up.

I don't mind modders to make new maps or objects whose performance does not impact the gameplay as much as planes, guns, vehicles, etc.

BTT: I am also more in favour of the package coming with an addon.

Come on, the RoF scheme gets really annoying. Now they sell field mods for each plane ... What's next? Paying for each screw?

Feathered_IV
10-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Small edit: I for one would gladly buy an I-16 over a 109F any day of the week. Not all of us are are purely concerned with how many virtual socks they can stuff in their underpants.

VO101_Tom
10-26-2011, 01:11 AM
+1 The aircraft SDK would be madness. :|

I do not like the DLC either, much prefer the addon DVD package. The ROF's arms race explicitly dishonest, unabashed thing. imho.

VO101_Tom
10-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Come on, the RoF scheme gets really annoying. Now they sell field mods for each plane ... What's next? Paying for each screw?

:grin: What we asked, when they need to pay for flight time (spent fuel, pollution) ... which – let's face it – in today's oil situation is perfectly understandable step would be ... :rolleyes:

MD_Titus
10-26-2011, 07:18 AM
I see, you got RoF when it was free.

Many people paid for RoF when it was practically unplayable and had the DLC to pay for also!!
That'd be folk like me theb. Rof has to be one of the priciest games I have, even if you take into consideration fb, pf, aces and 1946. Easy £100 spent on rof for ultimately a lot less. Even buying the two bombers in rof is close to what I paid for the game itself.

Single or paired aircraft as dlc is, imo, not a good idea. I'd be disinclined tocontinue with clod if it went that route. It limits online map makers, means players won't, for the large part, try those weird and unpopular planes. Theatre packs is a different matter, and follows the same model as il2.

Fjordmonkey
10-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Theatre packs is a different matter, and follows the same model as il2.

I'd take a theatre-pack, even smaller ones, over single-aircraft DLC's any day of the week. Single-aircraft DLC would be tremendously stupid, and would lead to the famous FOTM-mindset (Flavor Of The Month), where everyone will buy and fly what's percieved as the "best" aircraft.

I want this to be a sim where your performance is based on the pilot's ability to keep track of what's going on in relation to his own aircraft, his ability to manage the aircraft's systems and pure blind dumb luck (it comes down to that at times as well). If I want to play Battlefield, I'll go play blasted battlefield...