PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify a FW unit, December 25th 1944, Liege area.

Mysticpuma
10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Excuse me for asking what may be a very well known answer, but searches for Preddy and FW-190 have only brought up results that show he chased one that day.

A detailed description includes locations that are known:

"As they neared Liege, they were joined by a white nosed Mustang from the 479th FG, Lt. James Bouchier, who had become detached from his squadron. From the initial intercept point, approximately 3 to 4 miles SE of Liege, Preddy, now from a height of about 1500 feet, began to accelerate having picked out a long nosed FW-190 in the distance heading Northeast. He radioed “tally ho” to Control and was immediately cleared to make the intercept. There was also some talk between Control and Preddy about intense flak in the area of intercept and it being halted so the attack could be made. Unknown to Preddy, Cartee and Bouchier, was that their line of flight was taking them over the quad 50 cal. AA of “A” Battery of the 430th AA (who was attached to the 258th FABN XIX at that time) positioned on the west side of a large clump of trees 2 miles Southeast of Aachen, Germany."

I am trying to find out if possible (long-shot on the first request) who that FW Pilot may have been and if identified, which unit he was flying with?

I am expecting the above request to be very hopeful, so rather than specifics on the Pilot, is it possible to find out which FW-190 Unit(s) may been operating in the Liege area that day?

I am trying to put together a timeline of events and this question is leaving me a little stumped. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated, cheers, MP

csThor
10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Very tough question. I do know that in December only III./JG 54 and parts of JG 26 had already received the Dora, but it is definite that III./JG 54 did not fly operationally before December 27 (again, that is) and JG 26 was only in the process of receiving Doras throughout the month. JG 2 is known to have gotten Doras "in the days before christmas" as well, but being based east of Frankfurt/Main it's rather unlikely that one of theirs would head "north-east" from Liege. :confused: