PDA

View Full Version : P-51 Mustang "popping" the Canopy to bail out. Did it slide or come off?

Mysticpuma
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Odd question but I really don't know the answer.

If a Pilot bailed out did he slide the canopy and then bail or could the Canopy effectively be 'popped' and come away from the aircraft intact?

That's about it really, cheers, MP

kristorf
10-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Watching the film of the recent Duxford collision the canopy popped off and dropped clear, now I don't know if this is/was a post war safety addition but on the 'D model it would make sense to do so.

Skoshi Tiger
10-17-2011, 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWTuguearw0

Seems you pull the Red Handle!

As an aside, At least in early model P-40's you had to duck your head as you jetisoned the canopy as in some cases as it tumbled off it could hit you on the back of the head! Not sure if they fixed it in later models!

Cheers!

Trooper117
10-17-2011, 01:33 PM
In the pilots notes it tells you to ''Pull red emergency handle on starboard window rail and push straight up on the hood''..

It's set just forward of the canopy winding handle..

Sternjaeger II
10-17-2011, 02:04 PM
pulling the lever sets the retaining system free, AFAIK the canopy is then blown away in the slipstream, you might need to push it if you're at low speed or if it's jammed. Don't think there's any spring loaded system either, but I will ask to crew chief for further details.

TomcatViP
10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
the canopy is then blown away in the slipstream,

Sucked away wld be more correct. The air impacting the front part of the canopy result in a low pressure zone on it's rear half. However on many planes with a 3 part canopy did I heard story of the bailing pilots having to push hard with hands or even feet to help the process. Though I don't think it wld hve been the case in a bubble top Mustang.

I only hope it does not makes any nasty translation in English. If so ooops :oops: