PDA

View Full Version : how does the 109 trim work without trim tabs

raaaid
10-16-2011, 12:54 PM
has any servo adavantage in the 109 trim as it does in a trim tab plane as servotabs?

and what would you operate 1st a 100 pound stick or a servo assited wheel?

linear trim turn bats are realistic effect of a servo surface

so how do the 109 elevator trim work?

edit:

well after some research it does seem that the 109 did have trim tabs

so then the heavyness of controls of the 109 is a legend

all you have to do is operate the trim, light as air but if in the game is delayed

trumps
10-16-2011, 01:18 PM
From memory the 109 like many aircraft used a variable incidence tailplane, this is not uncommon, and works very well.

Craig

speculum jockey
10-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Some of the tabs were just metal fins that they would bend on the ground to the proper angle for nominal handling at cruise speed. If you look at external views, they are the red protrusions on the ailerons and rudder.

raaaid
10-16-2011, 01:58 PM
yes but some 109 have variable trim, i had heard about cruising, but wanst that the alerons?

my main question is if the 109 elevator trim is servo asisted as is the case of the spit with the trim tabs, taking much less force to operate the trim than the stick at high speeds

Flanker35M
10-16-2011, 02:32 PM
S!

Bf109 elevator trim was not heavy to operate according to pilots I've talked to. They used it to help in recovering from steep high speed dives as the control stick got really heavy then.

Aileron trims on Bf109 were metal strips that were adjusted on ground after test flights for desired result. Usually for cruise speed or speed region of around 300-400km/h. Some pictures show that at least Bf109K-4 had flettner tabs in ailerons to lighten control of them at high speeds.

Bf109 had no rudder trim, but later models with the higher wooden tail had flettner tabs which assisted to counter heavy loads at high speeds. This was used from G-6 and onwards.

Hope this gave some info..