PDA

View Full Version : Can we have new online modes

jf1981
10-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Hello,

I am happy to share those suggestions but I really hope that devs are more or less aware about what happens on this forum.

Maybe some of you know warbird mod for IL-2 1946, called FreeHost ? Well a very nice work, and it gives an increased level of fun to IL-2, it is as fun as capture the flag and in a certain sense, quite similar.

The teams have to 'close' an ennemy airfield, doing so by destroying ground targets at the selected airbase, down to a certain level below which, the base is considered not live anymore or closed.

At that point, the team which has been attacked just can't anymore take off from such a base, however, when objects start to spawn up to a certain level, the field would reopen again.

During all the time a field is closed, the opposite side has as a mission & objective to send ground forces to that field, by dropping parachutes, and only after a number of paras have safely landed, does the field change side, or is said captured. WHile still closed, the field will soon reopen on opposite side.

The most interesting parts of the battle stands in three steps, as first it is not easy to close fields protected by aircraft and anti-aircraft to an extent where it be closed and keep closed long enough to do the next operation.
So doing that sometimes require team and talentuous jobs, those were very fun parts with IL-2 46, very amazing.

Next, when a field is closed, the opposite side starts to give air-cover and protect their field, and above all, track & destroy the slow moving transport aircrafts e.g. JU 52. So, when you have closed a field, the advantage is that opposite side has to travel from other bases in order to protect it, however, it is sometimes a very difficult job to land safely enough paratroopers in order to capture the field.

So very interesting parts of the game : attack & close a field, protect a closed field, capture a field !

I really hope Cliffs of Dover could implement such an interesting type of multiplayer game, even different but dynamic multiplayer.

This completely changes the interest of the game, in particular when you can program your missions with some mates. I remind going with 3 ground attack and eventually an air cover, planned missions ! real fun, because one alone can do nothing in such a game.

trumps
10-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Sounds very similar to what we used to have in AcesHigh2 years ago, was fun!

Untamo
10-14-2011, 12:33 PM
S!

+ gazillion

I love War-Birds server and hang out there most of time I play Il-2 1946. I think getting the same system (or similar) to work in CloD would speed up the process of moving 1946 players to CloD.

Ataros
10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
We are beta testing a new Operation Sea Lion mission by Small_Bee on Repka #1 server.

The only difference with good old Warbirds gameplay is that airfields are captured not by paratroopers but by ground forces which is sometimes more realistic. You still have to close them and cover them to let tanks and vehicles capture it. We may add paratroopers later when they are available or are coded by the mission author.

It is still in early to mid beta but you can try it tonight.

Moved to a new OS today, hope it is more stable with more than 50 people online (had to limit it to 45 in the past).

Ingame briefing is available for the mission or you can click the lower banner in my sig for Operation Sea Lion.

jf1981
10-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Interesting, is there a feature to launch certain ground attacks in-game ?

J-F

mazex
10-16-2011, 09:32 AM
We are beta testing a new Operation Sea Lion mission by Small_Bee on Repka #1 server.

The only difference with good old Warbirds gameplay is that airfields are captured not by paratroopers but by ground forces which is sometimes more realistic. You still have to close them and cover them to let tanks and vehicles capture it. We may add paratroopers later when they are available or are coded by the mission author.

It is still in early to mid beta but you can try it tonight.

Moved to a new OS today, hope it is more stable with more than 50 people online (had to limit it to 45 in the past).

Ingame briefing is available for the mission or you can click the lower banner in my sig for Operation Sea Lion.

Interesting! Is this done via the regular c# scripting support in CoD? If stuff like this is possible it's time for us to stop whining and start coding ourselves! It would be great for the community if we share all code like that to get more fun stuff going!

Mazex

Ataros
10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Interesting! Is this done via the regular c# scripting support in CoD? If stuff like this is possible it's time for us to stop whining and start coding ourselves! It would be great for the community if we share all code like that to get more fun stuff going!

Mazex

Yes, this is done with the regular c# scripting. You can script any mission you want with it. As for capturing airfields I reposted some code examples from naryv (a developer) in the FMB section 4 and 3 months ago:

1) http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=292333&postcount=1

2) http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=307600&postcount=9

jf1981
10-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Is there a possibility to interfere with ground units movements while in game ? I understood that mainly their job is to move frontiers & capture airfields, so it could be interesting to interact with their actions while the game is running, in order to make live plans & missions instead of scripted ones.

Ataros
10-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Is there a possibility to interfere with ground units movements while in game ? I understood that mainly their job is to move frontiers & capture airfields, so it could be interesting to interact with their actions while the game is running, in order to make live plans & missions instead of scripted ones.

Yes, it is possible to set new objectives for ground units via ingame Mission Menu ( TAB - 4 ) if a mission-maker programs this feature. You can even manage your supplies/logistics or build factories or warehouses via this menu similar to Warfare mission in ArmA. It is not programmed yet in Repka mission but will come in the future.

jf1981
10-21-2011, 06:07 PM
"via ingame Mission Menu ( TAB - 4 )"

I tried to use it but nothing happens, which key combination is it ? Is it done in game (flying) ?

Edit : apparently not always activated.